Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fitting a bottle cage

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Stanley | 7 years ago
0 likes

even nicer

Stanley | 7 years ago
0 likes

enough said

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
1 like

Never had to use threadlock on cage bolts.

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yep, blue Loctite or any other medium-strength threadlocker is supposed to break loose via hand tools - i.e. with intent, not accumulation of random vibration. I'm not convinced its bond will be "too strong"

bikebot | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm no expert on carbon frames, but I'd be very surprised if there was a risk of damage.  Blue is the right strength to use on 99% of bike fittings, and it's not that strong. Small bolts come undone easily enough, they just won't do that on their own. If you ever have a threadlocked bolt that is stuck, the trick is apparently to use a soldering iron to heat the bolt, but I'm yet to have such a problem.

bikebot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yes. Between bolt head and cage.

It makes very little difference, but if you're a perfectionist that's the way to do it. Threadlock is more important.

Bowks replied to bikebot | 7 years ago
0 likes

bikebot wrote:

Yes. Between bolt head and cage.

It makes very little difference, but if you're a perfectionist that's the way to do it. Threadlock is more important.

Thank you! 

I have my Loctite Blue waiting to be used. In fact, that raises another question. If I am fitting them to a carbon frame, will the blue Loctite be ok or will it form too stong a bond?

Bowks | 7 years ago
0 likes

Simple task, I hear you cry...however my question is to do with the washers. Does one install them between the frame and the cage or between the bolt head and the cage?

Latest Comments