Home

Does anyone know who I write to about the state of the Pill Path (the cycle path alongside the river Avon from the Cumberland Basin to Pill, in Bristol)?

I rode home along there tonight: it's such an awful journey.  All the gravel which was dumped on there a year or so ago to fill up the ruts in the mud has sunk into the mud, leaving a few bits of stone sticking up. And I nearly came off several times between the rutted mud and the loose gravel. A truly horrible journey which reminded me why I like Tarmac...

3 comments

drjohn [52 posts] 1 year ago
1 like

You need a gravel bike mate!

Seriously though, the path was getting pretty rough and muddy a couple of years ago and I remember thinking it was more suited to a CX or enduro bike than my commuter bike (which had 23mm slicks). But I rather enjoyed the challenge.

Has the loose gravel made it worse or has it just gone back to how it was before?

brooksby [3299 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
drjohn wrote:

Seriously though, the path was getting pretty rough and muddy a couple of years ago and I remember thinking it was more suited to a CX or enduro bike than my commuter bike (which had 23mm slicks). But I rather enjoyed the challenge.

Has the loose gravel made it worse or has it just gone back to how it was before?

I think that the loose gravel was there for maybe one season.  It's now sunk into the mud without trace, so that the Path is back to square one,

Canyon48 [993 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
drjohn wrote:

That path is such a blast on my cx/gravel/commuter/frankenbike!

Totally understand where you are coming from though, it's horrendous if you aren't in to thrashing it about on rutted naf surfaces. I would try Bristol City Council and Sustrans, you are totally right, the path is unsuitable for anything other than big fat tyres and balls of steel.