Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Long Bik Locks: Sold Secure

Hi there,

First post here, but was wondering if anyone had any recommecondations for a long (3m plus)/variable length bike chain and lock, that is suitably rated to confirm with the requirements of bike insurance? I understand that would typically be a Sold Secure rating, but I am pretty new to this, so would welcome any advice from those in the know!

Thanks! 

PS. Unfortunately due to the location of the nearest 'immovable object' a shorter chain wouldn't suffice, hence the quite odd enquiry.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

JoSkinya | 8 years ago
0 likes

thanks for the help Simon, though I should say it's only for storing in a communal shed, so I don't need to carry it around with me. Following some digging of my own I have found a company called Security for Bikes who do variable lengths of a gold sold secure rated chain and so i've opted for that. They're not cheap, but certainly more cost effective than other solutions i've found:

http://securityforbikes.com/

Most insurers I've come across seem to ask for it to be tethered using a 'Sold Secure' chain,  so I was keen to make sure I did things to the letter!

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes

A 3 metre chain that meets Sold Secure standards? You'll need a trailer to carry it in! Is there no other way to secure your bike?

Some insurers are more stringent than others, mine is on household policy and merely states that the bicycle should be locked to something.

For other than nipping into a shop I use a D-lock through frame & rear wheel to the stand/post (photo) plus cable through frame & front wheel.

Latest Comments