Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Taking a bike to NZ and Oz

Im planning to go to new zealand and australia for July and August. Just wondering if anyone has tips on getting a bike out there.

Im flying Emirates but their bagage restriction seems harsh, 30kg including bikes. Any ideas on how get around these costs or is it just really really expensive.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

step.doran | 14 years ago
0 likes

ooh, I wonder if the same is true for NZ. We're heading back there this year hopefully and that would be ace.

AndyyK | 14 years ago
0 likes

Apparantly, if you're emigrating to Australia permanently and book direct through Emirates they'll bump your baggage allowance up to 50kg.

Looks like I might be able to take a bike with me after all. The wife will be so happy.

austen | 14 years ago
0 likes

When I went out there (for a year) we flew via the US as the baggage allowance is much larger. Might be too late to change but BA/Air New Zealand via LA allowed 2x32kg bags each.

Ended up buying an extra bag on the way home as had bought another bike whilst away, don't remember it being too expensive when booked ahead, rather than just turning up at the airport and hoping - might be worth investigating?

I guess the other option would be to ship it separately, I looked into this but a bike box fell into some weird category due to it's shape and was more than the extra baggage on the plane.

Other than that, maybe think about what parts of your luggage you can buy when you get there, tyres, chain, cassette? You'll be in jandals for your whole trip anyway, so swap shoes for pedals!

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

Unfortunately that is not harsh. Emirates have the best economy baggage allowance at 30 kg. Qantas (I'm flying to Australia with them in October) are 23 kg. All the rest are 20 kg. I decided to go Qantas, because my bike will stay on the same plane all the way, thus minimising potentially damaging baggage handling.

Latest Comments