Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Waterproof Jacket- Any suggestions?

Having originally said when I started cycling that if it was raining I'd stay in bed I seem to be more frequently finding myself sat at the club meet soaked ready for another few hours of being soaked. As a result of this I'm in the market for a decent waterproof. I have a Castelli sotile which is great for stuffing in a jersey pocket for showers. Problem is if I wear it for the whole ride I end up getting wetter from the inside. I'm looking at spending £100-150 for something fairly fitted, fairly breathable and which could withstand a ride of 3-4hrs in rain without letting water in too much. Looked at a mavic H2O sprint today which looked pretty nice and fitted well too. The Gore stuff looks quite good as well but is very top end budget and would rather spend towards the lower end of the budget if possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

specs | 9 years ago
0 likes

dhb Cosmo. Stupid name , good jacket, £55 from wiggle, lightweight, fits in a jersey pocket, totally watertight. reflective bits if that bothers you.

I wouldn't spend £100's on a waterproof these days, there's no need.

Shep73 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Castelli Pocket liner. Kept me dry in terential rain, and I don't get sweaty in it like other jackets I've owned.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Giordana FR-C. Best jacket I've ever had by a mile. Intelligent design with different materials for different purposes:
- Dense woven windproof on the front
- Waterproof on the shoulders and fronts of the arms
- Roubaix fleece on the back.
Absolutely outstanding and lot less than a Gabba (which I'm sure is amazing BTW).

leqin | 9 years ago
0 likes

Gabba.

It seems like ages ago I thought about buying one and used the 'that's a lot of money and I don't think I can justify it' argument and then went through pretty much every alternative available only to arrive at the fact that none of them had been the answer I was looking for until... until I saw a online retailer had cut the price and I had just enough disposable income hanging around in my bank account and they had just one in my size.

And then after it arrived it took ages to man up and give me some rain to see if everything others said about it is true, which was really weird because even at the minimum I thought I could count on a claggy foggy morning to let me arrive at work dripping wet through. So I waited and waited and waited and then thankfully at last I was part way through my cycle commute home and the sky gave me a torrential downpour and my feet got slightly wet and my legs got wet and my arse got wet and my arms got wet and my head got wet, but where the Gabba covered me I was dry.

Since then I have gone on to buy the Nano Tech arm warmers and bib shorts and I am looking at the overshoes as well. I heard recently that other companies are using the same, or a similar, material to make cheaper alternatives and that's great, but quite simply if you want to cycle and want the kind of protection from rain your asking for then Gabba is the only answer.

Oh and if you notice that the magic like protection is starting to wear out, which can and does happen after washing, then all you need to do is this - wash it as per instructions - hang it out to dry outside - then tumble dry it for 15 to 30 minutes on the lowest heat setting and bingo it is like brand new all again.

dunnoh | 9 years ago
0 likes

I used a Gabba all winter. A solid 6 months 5 days a week riding and it performed well. This winter I will get a shell for commuting on really wet days and the Gabba for the rest.

This summer I am using a Craft Supermesh baselayer, a Jersey and a Sportful Hotpack Gillet and its working great in the wet weather. The Hotpack is great in downpours and the Supermesh is outstanding and your upper body stays really dry

Nat Jas Moe | 9 years ago
0 likes

Try mountain warehouse water proof hi vis jacket under forty quid hasn't failed me yet very light weight and has zip vents and two pockets.

David Arthur @d... | 9 years ago
0 likes

Any jacket using the Gore-Tex Active Shell fabric is my recommendation, impressively breathable for long rides and keeps you dry

Two jackets I trust in the rain are the Madison Apex (http://road.cc/content/review/107811-madison-mens-road-race-apex-jacket) and the Sportful Survival jacket ( http://road.cc/content/review/78623-sportful-survival-jacket).

For the money the Madison jacket is excellent, you won't get a more waterproof jacket. The Sportful has some extra features that help justify the higher cost, the velcro and/or zipper opening is brilliant in use and the zipped cuffs can easily be pulled over gloves

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

Dutch25 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Would have been keen on buying the muur but I'm not an 'Italian large'. Gone for the mavic.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a large muur for sale ... £100 ?

Dutch25 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Castelli Muur would probably have been my choice if I was feeling particularly flush. Looks like a nice jacket. The Sportful jacket looks like it might be a bit warm as I'm only after a shell and from what I've read it seems to be a bit more of a winter jacket with fleece inners. Thanks for all the suggestions. Probably gonna plump for the mavic as I know how it fits and it's in the sale for under £100 in my lbs. If it gets me to the cafe reasonably dry I can cope with that.

MattT53 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Gore Oxygen's are supposed to be good, the new gore tex active shell fabric is apparently excellent . Gabba's don't keep you dry in sustained heavy rain in my experience.

This was well reviewed on this site a while ago: http://road.cc/content/review/115986-altura-vapour-waterproof-jacket

Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Trouble with waterproof jackets is that you still end up wet one way or another. I've started settling for using my pearl izumi winter jersey and just getting wet, which doesn't leave me cold unless its also a particularly cold day.

fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a Sportful Fiandre NoRain jersey/jacket which has been cracking so far, although i've not had the chance to wear it in sustained, heavy rain - short and heavy, yeah, and it was great. Breathability seems pretty good, the fit is 'snug' (size up at least once) but comfortable and I don't mind the single rear pocket (wish it was sealed from the inside however, rather than just mesh). There was a review on here a while back, might be worth a gander

http://road.cc/content/review/72530-sportful-fiandre-norain-jacket

Think I ended up paying about £90 for it, Evans used to have some good deals on Sportful but worth looking around as ever.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

Castelli Muur .... eVent is even better (IMHO) than Gore-Tex ...

joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

a vote for the Mavic here. I have the now discontinued Vision H20 which is excellent. Well made with nice details and a proper cycling cut so I would expect same from a similar product.

Dutch25 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Would love a gabba but probably just out the top end of my budget. With regards to the softshell. I'm not mad keen on the softshell material. Was still thinking more along the lines of hardshell but not something that resembles a bin liner.

whitey85 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a Gore Oxygen jacket which is completely wind and waterproof (Goretex), and still reasonably breathable, only wetting up from the inside after a lot of hard riding or climbing. I'd certainly recommend it, and it got a great review on this site if I recall as well!

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have long since given up on water proof and gone down the soft shell route and predominantly ride in a dhb through the colder months. It is water resistant, has zippable vents and costs about 45 quid. If it really is chucking it down, a packable waterproof goes on top but of course you get sweaty on the inside. I ride with a run of the mill cycling jersey underneath and have never felt cold.

movingtarget | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a Castelli Gabba convertible jacket that kept me warm and just slightly damp after riding for 3h in a torrential downpour (deep pools of water in the streets, hail, and showers so heavy it was difficult to see). It's very water resistant (no taped seams) and highly breathable so that you don't end up stewing in your own sweat even on climbs. Don't know what the RRP is in the UK but here in Portland it's $220 full price and currently $165 at my LBS.

Latest Comments