Home
With spring around the corner, Rapha release new Pro Team jersey, shorts and socks

Spring is just around the corner, we have it on good authority, so it’ll soon be time to strip off the winter layers and wrap up with some lighter weight clothing, like Rapha’s newly released Pro Team bib shorts, socks and jerseys, which are now available. We've seen details of the rest of Rapha's 2013 range which you can read here.

The Pro Team range launched back in 2011, and signalled a new direction for the company to offer very high performance clothing. The development continues, with the use of high-tech fabrics and a racing cut. 

The Pro Team jersey (£140) was developed in partnership with the Rapha Condor Sharp team, giving the designers plenty of real-world racing feedback to hone the design. It’s a jersey designed for racing and high performance cycling, and has a fit to reflect this, described as ‘skin-tight aero'. We've reviewed the Pro Team jersey in the past, you can read it here.

The fabric is a lightweight polyester/polyurethane fabric with a coldblack technology which means it absorbs less heat, so you can wear the black jersey on hot days without fear of overheating. Ventilation comes via mesh side and rear panels, there are three rear pockets and one zipped pocket, and the seams are all bonded for durability.

For 2013 it’s available in four colours, black, chartreuse (the bright yellow), white and grey, all with contrasting sleeve hoops. Choose from six sizes.

You can also choose the Pro Team jersey in Team Sky colours. It’s an identical jersey, and costs the same at £140, but it's finished in Sky colours so you can show your support for Wiggo and Froome on your next club run or sportive.

If you’re getting the Pro Team jersey, you may as well pair it with the matching Pro Team Bib Shorts (£170). They’re now available in a choice of colours, white, yellow and pink. Made from Lycra and treated with the same coldblack dye as the jersey, so they don’t overheat on hot days by reflecting the sun’s rays. Inside is a Cytech chamois.

The white shorts are even available in two leg lengths - standard and 30mm longer.

And, finally, you can complete the pro look with the Pro Team socks (£15), which are now available in high-vis pink and chartreuse. So you can completely colour match your wardrobe for your next ride.

More details at www.rapha.cc

David has worked on the road.cc tech team since July 2012. Previously he was editor of Bikemagic.com and before that staff writer at RCUK. He's a seasoned cyclist of all disciplines, from road to mountain biking, touring to cyclo-cross, he only wishes he had time to ride them all. He's mildly competitive, though he'll never admit it, and is a frequent road racer but is too lazy to do really well. He currently resides in the Cotswolds.

32 comments

Avatar
Leviathan [1775 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Is it just me or are Rapha shorts a bit 'short.' Bit of a subtle difference on bike shorts I know but don't want to see a new trend.

Avatar
wildoo [33 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Rapha kit sells mostly to bankers, lawyers and stockbrokers who do have more money than sense. Many are short and fat so need XL & XXL shorts but have short stubby legs. For people with this body build long inseam shorts go would over their knees making them look even more stupid. Rapha will no doubt be aware of this so make the leg inseam shorter to fit. The downside is that taller leaner riders appear to have shorter shorts.

Avatar
bohrhead [67 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Funny, because Sky's shorts look very long, even on Chris Froome.

Avatar
Leviathan [1775 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Hmm, interesting analysis, think Lord Sugar.  19

Avatar
dullard [140 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

You're so right, wildoo. All the people Rapha make kit for are fucking idiots. Paedophiles, probably. And certainly very, very thick in their heads and their bellies. So thick that they can't see over their huge, great guts to piss straight. Ha ha ha. Just like that Wiggins bloke. Oh, hold on...

Avatar
David Arthur @d... [651 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

Is it just me or are Rapha shorts a bit 'short.' Bit of a subtle difference on bike shorts I know but don't want to see a new trend.

No, the trend is for shorts getting longer, nothing looks worse then shorts that sit just above the knee cap.

This is how short shorts used to be

//farm8.staticflickr.com/7063/6920472683_3eca813b73_z.jpg)

Avatar
notfastenough [3661 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I like it. Either black with yellow or black with pink.

Avatar
Tom Amos [236 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Rapha makes Gore Bikewear look positively a bargain. The T shirts look very nice and everything but I just can't my head round spending £140 on one. Tangential point but feel same way about Asos gear.

Avatar
pwake [374 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

Is it just me or are Rapha shorts a bit 'short.' Bit of a subtle difference on bike shorts I know but don't want to see a new trend.

I'd like to offer a slightly more considered opinion on this than Wildoo.
Rapha shorts are not 'short', if anything they do run a tiny bit longer than others. So no worries about setting a trend (or looking like Merckx). I speak from experience as I own two pairs, after having switched from my lifelong loyalty to Assos. Rapha kit is top-quality and, in my experience, is comfortable, durable and easy to care for. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
I should add a discalimer that I am not a banker, lawyer or stockbroker. Neither am I short and fat. I'm an engineer, who doesn't mind shelling-out my hard-earned on quality kit; races at the weekends to prevent myself becoming fat (I can't do anything about my height, I'm afraid) and doesn't indulge in reverse snobbery.  3

Avatar
bashthebox [751 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Rapha kit is bloody gorgeous, it's well made and oh god how much do I want some of this new stuff.

It is overpriced though, even compared to Assos, but it's lovely. I've twice queued up for the sample sale, twice come away with more stuff than I needed, and twice not regretted it. Well, maybe a bit, when I needed to eat and stuff.
Sahme they don't seem to do the sales any more, but they were getting a bit ridiculous. I got there at 8am for the last one, and was queuing until 11.

That's all a massive aside to say: yes please. Please someone buy me this. I'd look just lovely in it.

Avatar
Bigringrider [177 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm 170cm tall, 65kg light and neither a lawyer, a banker or dentist. I am however minted, ride a top end Italian bike kitted in Super Record and have lots and lots of Rapha kit. My wife is seriously fit too. Sucks to be you  3

Avatar
ubercurmudgeon [169 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

The fabric is a lightweight polyester/polyurethane fabric...

So, they are charging 140 quid for something made from the same raw materials as bin bags and dinnerladies' tabards?

I have to admit a sneaking admiration for Rapha's ever-growing ability to fleece (pun intended) the rich. Apologies in advance to anyone on here who has paid full price for any Rapha kit. I know taking the mickey out of a brand someone has bought from, and in to, is almost as bad nowadays as blaspheming a person's religion was a hundred years ago (and for the same reason.)

Quote:

...with a coldblack technology

Ah, I see, you put ice cubes in the bin bag, and shove it down the back of your jersey. Does it only work with luxury, artisan ice, or can you use 99p-per-kilo bags of ice from Aldi (ignoring the cycling jerseys on sale there too, if they have them, for about a twentieth the price.)

Avatar
londonplayer [620 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
iamelectron wrote:

I'm 170cm tall, 65kg light and neither a lawyer, a banker or dentist. I am however minted, ride a top end Italian bike kitted in Super Record and have lots and lots of Rapha kit. My wife is seriously fit too. Sucks to be you  3

You ride Campagnolo? Poor you. I hope you take taxi money and a map of local railway stations with you when you are out for a ride.

Avatar
colinth [191 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
wildoo wrote:

Rapha kit sells mostly to bankers, lawyers and stockbrokers who do have more money than sense. Many are short and fat so need XL & XXL shorts but have short stubby legs. For people with this body build long inseam shorts go would over their knees making them look even more stupid. Rapha will no doubt be aware of this so make the leg inseam shorter to fit. The downside is that taller leaner riders appear to have shorter shorts.

I'm not a banker, and I'm also 6'3" but still a Rapha fan. The quality is superb. I can understand why you'd think I was fat if you saw me riding, I have so much cash that the bank won't take it anymore and I have to shove it up the front of my jersey. Comes in handy when I see some scruffy oik on a singlespeed who'd into reverse snobbery, I take out a wad and smack them on the back of the head when I see them to try and knock the chip of their shoulder

Avatar
dullard [140 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

@iamelectron

I salute you, sir. You are obviously the exception that proves wildoo's and ubercumudgeon's rule. I suspect that they both have a little bit of Rapha that 'a friend bought me', hidden away behind the socks in the bottom drawer that they, in a quite moment, look at, touch, feel and maybe sniff.

Avatar
andyp [1436 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

'Rapha kit is bloody gorgeous, it's well made and oh god how much do I want some of this new stuff.'

This. Apart from the Sky kit. Not sure why anyone would want that if they're not on the team.

Avatar
musicalmarc [97 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Wildoo your profile says "Full carbon stealth machine Blinged with Token Products - shame i do not have the legs to make it go fast!" yet you feel people who buy Rapha clothing have more money than sense? Why didn't you buy a basic bike from Halfords?

Avatar
pedalpowerDC [323 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

LOL, Token products.

Avatar
Tom Amos [236 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
andyp wrote:

'Rapha kit is bloody gorgeous, it's well made and oh god how much do I want some of this new stuff.'

This. Apart from the Sky kit. Not sure why anyone would want that if they're not on the team.

+1

Agreed. The Sky replica kit is *awful*.

Avatar
purplecup [217 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
ubercurmudgeon wrote:
Quote:

The fabric is a lightweight polyester/polyurethane fabric...

So, they are charging 140 quid for something made from the same raw materials as bin bags and dinnerladies' tabards?

I have to admit a sneaking admiration for Rapha's ever-growing ability to fleece (pun intended) the rich. Apologies in advance to anyone on here who has paid full price for any Rapha kit. I know taking the mickey out of a brand someone has bought from, and in to, is almost as bad nowadays as blaspheming a person's religion was a hundred years ago (and for the same reason.)

Quote:

...with a coldblack technology

Ah, I see, you put ice cubes in the bin bag, and shove it down the back of your jersey. Does it only work with luxury, artisan ice, or can you use 99p-per-kilo bags of ice from Aldi (ignoring the cycling jerseys on sale there too, if they have them, for about a twentieth the price.)

I'd like to propose that the use of Aldi and Lidl in Rapha stories be considered a kind of Cycling Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwins_law). If you can't be arsed to make a sensible argument then just don't bother.

Aston Martins are made from the same raw materials as nails, coke cans, inner tubes, jam jars and Dr Martens boots. If i could just pick up on another *really* stupid part of your post.

Avatar
CarlBennett [1 post] 2 years ago
0 likes

Of course you can't use ice bags from Aldi anywhere near Rapha kit. They'd have to be from Waitrose at the very least.

Quite why anyone over 7 years old wants to dress up in team kit when they're not on the team is another matter. Personally, I stopped wearing my cowboy outfit when I realised the Wild West wasn't Wiltshire.  22

Avatar
Dr. Ko [151 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Well, Rapha should consider a new pricing politic for Sky related stuff, which would fit bankers etc. perfectly:  26

Flexible pricing just like shares, Porte wins price up, Froome doesn't price drops. Wiggins has a crash - price crashes as well.  102 Pricing would be very sensitive to wins of UK riders.

So my software did calculate towards of TDF could be good time for purchase as people realise that Sky will not win, expect a drop in interest  12 and price. Caveat! also expect price drops towards 30-40% by the end of year. So as a result: Very small chance of making a decent win combined with a risk of 50% write off. Limited editions preferable less than 200, might give a win on a long term base, like a pink one if Wiggo wins the Giro.

Dr. Ko, independent adviser  3

Avatar
Some Fella [890 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Believe in Better

Avatar
Leviathan [1775 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I know it is an old argument and it always comes up on Rapha threads, but the prices are ridiculous. I keep thinking, perhaps I have got it wrong because people keep talking about the quality, but then I go back to the website and can't believe it...  13http://www.rapha.cc/team-sky-grand-tour-gloves/?locale=UK
£120 for a pair of Sky mitts. Mitts.

Avatar
phax71 [284 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Who wears short shorts ...  1

Avatar
londonplayer [620 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

I know it is an old argument and it always comes up on Rapha threads, but the prices are ridiculous. I keep thinking, perhaps I have got it wrong because people keep talking about the quality, but then I go back to the website and can't believe it...  13http://www.rapha.cc/team-sky-grand-tour-gloves/?locale=UK
£120 for a pair of Sky mitts. Mitts.

+1 Who owns Rapha and where can I buy shares in them?

Avatar
cyclingmadone [1 post] 2 years ago
0 likes

you gets wot you pay for and the bikes keep getting dearer
and dearer and the shorts------get shorter????

Avatar
andyp [1436 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

'£120 for a pair of Sky mitts. Mitts.'

Join the team, and you get them FREE.

Avatar
ubercurmudgeon [169 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
purplecup wrote:

I'd like to propose that the use of Aldi and Lidl in Rapha stories be considered a kind of Cycling Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwins_law). If you can't be arsed to make a sensible argument then just don't bother.

Aston Martins are made from the same raw materials as nails, coke cans, inner tubes, jam jars and Dr Martens boots. If i could just pick up on another *really* stupid part of your post.

Looks like I touched a nerve there. My comparisons with Aldi, bin bags and artisan ice, were just a humorous way of pointing out the simple, plain, obvious fact: there is no way that it costs anywhere near 140 pounds to produce a cycling jersey. They may well be the highest quality jerseys ever made, but they also come with by far with the highest markup. If you can't handle people telling you that, then I suggest you cease to frequent cycling forums.

I notice you didn't address the other part of my post, where I put forth the theory that brands like Rapha are attracting almost religion devotion, in that people who are suckered into buying from them will not countenance any dissenting opinion. Your angry response being a perfect case in point, thank you.

Oh, and I'm not sure why you think I wouldn't regard Aston Martins as a rip off too. Which I do (although they do have more labour and technology costs than Rapha, so I'm not sure their markup isn't a tiny bit less ludicrous.)

Avatar
purplecup [217 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I don't actually own any rapha, save for a winter collar. so you're basically saying that i'm religiously protecting something i've invested £24.99 in. I'm not. I just think you're trying hard to live up to your handle without really saying anything useful.

it doesn't cost £140 to make a jersey? no. it doesn't cost the RRP of any product to make the product. that's how companies can continue to make things. You say the markup is the highest there is. where's your data to back that up? are we talking percentage, or plain poundage, or what? I'm curious, because i haven't see the figures that you so obviously have.

do you buy all your products based on extensive research of what the markup is, or do you just buy, you know, cheap stuff? if you buy three dhb jerseys and the percentage markup is the same, then you've given the same amount of money to wiggle as you would to rapha for the same spend on the same product. but that would presumably be okay, because, you know, it's not rapha.

you did touch a nerve. my 'someone said a stupid thing on the internet' nerve. it gets touched quite a bit, i find

Pages