Home
Race director hails "unbelievable" 3 days; Brailsford says "crazy" not to bring the race back...

Christian Prudhomme has said that the Tour de France will return to Great Britain following what he described as an “unbelievable” Grand Départ over the past three days.

Asked after the finish Stage 3 in London yesterday whether the race would come back, Prudhomme said: “Yes. The question is not if, but when, although I don't have the answer for the second part,” reports the BBC.

He went on: "Thank you. It was unbelievable, I just want to say again: merci beaucoup.

"It was incredible. It is going to be unforgettable, as the first time in London was just seven years ago,” added Prudhomme, who took over as race director from Jean-Marie Leblanc in 2007, the year the Tour first started in Britain.

"The Grand Depart in Yorkshire was amazing, it was emotional,” he added. “It was the same on Monday, 30km in Greater London and so many people, everyone with smiles on their faces, it was emotional.”

"What the British people have done is magnificent."

His words were echoed by Team Sky principal Sir Dave Brailsford, who said: “With the level of popularity of the sport in this country at the minute, it would be crazy not to [bring the Tour back].

“We saw the Olympics in London and now this has been phenomenal. I think it’s a job well done.”

Yesterday’s stage from Cambridge once again brought big crowds out as the race headed down through Essex to the capital, with a late downpour failing to deter thousands of cycling fans and office workers from lining the city’s streets ahead of the finish on The Mall, won by Giant-Shimano’s Marcel Kittel.

Edinburgh City Council has confirmed that it is planning to team up once again with Event Scotland to bid to host the start of the 2018 or 2019 Tour de France, having lost out to Welcome to Yorkshire for this year's Grand Depart.

Born in Scotland, Simon moved to London aged seven and now lives in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds with his miniature schnauzer, Elodie. He fell in love with cycling one Saturday morning in 1994 while living in Italy when Milan-San Remo went past his front door. A daily cycle commuter in London back before riding to work started to boom, he's been news editor at road.cc since 2009. Handily for work, he speaks French and Italian. He doesn't get to ride his Colnago as often as he'd like, and freely admits he's much more adept at cooking than fettling with bikes.

17 comments

Avatar
mrmo [2093 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

maybe the new forest could stage the grand depart....

Avatar
seven [155 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I hope Edinburgh does get it one day, since it's the only way we'll ever get some decent resurfacing done around here.

Avatar
notfastenough [3715 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

So many cool places to do this. Wales, the lake district, Derbyshire, lots of Scotland.

Avatar
mickcee [73 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I am really hoping the Edinburgh bid is successful and if so they get 3 days to put on a few stages.

Plus if you are reading this Edinburgh, the borders and Northumberland have some cracking roads!

Avatar
Cyclic [38 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

If Edinburgh are successful and I hope they are, I hope they don't use the same clothes designer for the tour helpers that they have used for the Commonwealth Scottish team - travel rugs and 1970's NHS dresses.

Avatar
Leviathan [2266 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Cyclic wrote:

If Edinburgh are successful and I hope they are, I hope they don't use the same clothes designer for the tour helpers that they have used for the Commonwealth Scottish team - travel rugs and 1970's NHS dresses.

Tartan skinsuits!

As he tour has been so successful and popular we should have our own tour, perhaps call it the Tour of Britain.

Avatar
notfastenough [3715 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Cyclic wrote:

If Edinburgh are successful and I hope they are, I hope they don't use the same clothes designer for the tour helpers that they have used for the Commonwealth Scottish team - travel rugs and 1970's NHS dresses.

Horrific. Really. My eyes hurt.

Avatar
Ghostie [93 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

As the tour has been so successful and popular we should have our own tour, perhaps call it the Tour of Britain.

I hope you are joking there.  7

Avatar
netclectic [134 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Ghostie wrote:
bikeboy76 wrote:

As the tour has been so successful and popular we should have our own tour, perhaps call it the Tour of Britain.

I hope you are joking there.  7

I think it's called sarcasm  3

Now is definitely the time to plough some investment into the ToB. Move the date so it doesn't clash with the Vuelta and push for World Tour status.

It's a bit embarrassing that the TdF generates so much interest in this country yet we are barely capable of organising our own Tour of Britain.

Avatar
Ghostie [93 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

That's what I thought, hoped he meant. As for the other bits, depends on how long this sudden British mass love affair with professional cycling lasts given it's only fairly recent since British riders have had some road cycling successes. If it continues and follows-on with the Tour of Britain, then certainly the UCI would be crazy to say no.

Avatar
Him Up North [235 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

By the time we have our shot at the Grand Départ again Scotland might not be part of Britain...  39

Avatar
Leeroy_Silk [138 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
mickcee wrote:

I am really hoping the Edinburgh bid is successful and if so they get 3 days to put on a few stages.

Three days in Edinburgh and the borders would be great, sadly I doubt it will happen as the tour needs to finish in the South to help with the logistics of getting to Northern France. Fingers crossed Edinburgh gets at least the Grand Départ and hopefully a second day in the borders.

Avatar
m6ayv [4 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

would be fantastic for it to return to the UK  16

Avatar
Scowel [50 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I don't know that would be such an issue really, it didn't seem to bother the Giro getting from Ireland to Italy which must be at least five times the distance

Avatar
jazzdude [75 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

That's what I thought. They just had a rest day to get all the stuff moved.

Avatar
J90 [367 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

What is Edinburgh like for cycling? Can't say I've ever thought of the area as a place good for cycling, I know Scotland does have some great hilly areas that would suit though.
Quite surprised they're on about it being back in just four years time though!? We must have absolutely smashed it last weekend!  4

netclectic wrote:
Ghostie wrote:
bikeboy76 wrote:

As the tour has been so successful and popular we should have our own tour, perhaps call it the Tour of Britain.

I hope you are joking there.  7

I think it's called sarcasm  3

Now is definitely the time to plough some investment into the ToB. Move the date so it doesn't clash with the Vuelta and push for World Tour status.

It's a bit embarrassing that the TdF generates so much interest in this country yet we are barely capable of organising our own Tour of Britain.

I feel it's getting there, it's a 2HC race these days, used to be a 2.3.

Avatar
Leviathan [2266 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Him Up North wrote:

By the time we have our shot at the Grand Départ again Scotland might not be part of Britain...  39

Scotland will always be part of Great Britain, whether it is part of the United Kingdom is another matter...

I don't see why it is any more difficult to fly from Edinburgh or Newcastle than London, or is it the trucks that need to get back not the riders. How did they manage when it was in Corsica?