In a bizarre turn of events, cyclists taking part in the annual British Heart Foundation London to Brighton charity ride were on Sunday met by a one-man protest on the South Coast, a fed-up local expressing his disgust at having missed Father’s Day plans and blaming the event’s “chaotic” road closures.
Police were called to a crossing near the Phoenix Arts Centre in Brighton where Oscar Clarke was “stepping out at every green man, blocking the way for cyclists, and stepping back when they had the right to proceed”.
Protesting the event, which raised around £1.6m for the British Heart Foundation, was not Mr Clarke’s initial plan for his Sunday, but the 30-year-old told The Argus he had been “impossibly frustrated” by missing “a long-planned family” Father’s Day celebration, having “wasted” 90 minutes trying to drive around event road closures.
.jpg)
Mr Clarke told the local newspaper he is “a huge advocate of the event” and “completed the race several times”, but was left unaware about road closures. The British Heart Foundation’s head of events Anna McCaughley insisted they had “engaged heavily” with the community and gave “as much notice as possible to all local residents and businesses” via letters dropped through doors, as well as through collaboration with highways teams and the local authorities.
However, Mr Clarke claimed there had been “absolutely no public information” about the event and “usually there would be a swathe of signage for a few weeks in advance, warning of road closures and diversion routes”. He also said they had not received any information in the post and it “grieves” him to think that others might have missed their Father’s Day arrangements due to “shoddy city centre event planning”.
He left his home on Ditchling Road in Brighton at 10am on Sunday, to drive to Lewes for his Father’s Day plans, adding that his father has had a “very tough year” so they were looking forward to the day.
Mr Clarke told the local newspaper he hit traffic on a one-way street near his home and then learnt that the left turn onto Lewes Road was closed with all traffic sent towards the city centre.
“The wardens would only wave and say to follow the traffic, unable to advise me on a suitable route or tell me which roads were closed further down,” he said. “Unable to do anything but crawl along, I eventually found small roads to try and make my way northbound.”
He then again found Lewes Road closed and could not join the A27. “Impossibly frustrated, and becoming late, I pleaded with the wardens at the Hollingbury A27 junction to radio for advice on how I should best navigate my necessary route,” he continued.
“They wouldn’t help, and insisted I move on, following the unsigned ‘diversion’ back down Ditchling Road. This put me back in the traffic, eventually crawling back to my front door. 90 minutes wasted, I parked up outside my house and phoned my sister in tears that I wouldn’t be able to make it.”
At this point Mr Clarke said that with “unexpected time on my hands and injustice in my heart” he made a plaque and headed back to the route to “protest the chaotic organisation of the event”.
Stopping at a crossing by the Phoenix Arts Centre, he claimed to have seen cyclists “barrelling through the red light, narrowly missing prams, elderly people, dogs and all pedestrians correctly using the green man signal”, the crossing near the finish of the event still in operation despite the 54-mile charity ride using closed roads.
“I escalated my protest by stepping out at every green man, blocking the way for cyclists, and stepping back when they had the right to proceed,” Mr Clarke said. “Three cyclists ran over my feet while I was correctly using the crossing, almost all of them swore at me.”
A manager attended the scene and the police were called, the officers “reminding the manager that pedestrians always have a right of way when the green man signal indicates it, and cyclists must stop at a red light”.
“He argued that it was a special event. I said that closing the crossing would have been the safe thing to do, if anything, but for the organisers not to take any action to prevent their participants injuring members of the public was outrageous.
“I am a huge advocate of the event, and of cycling in general. I respect the participants for their charitable and green fundraising for an important cause. I have completed the race several times myself over the last decade. However, the organisation of this year’s event has been shocking. The risk to pedestrians due to shoddy management is really upsetting and shows no respect towards Brighton as a host city.”
The British Heart Foundation’s events chief Anna McCaughley apologised for “any distress and inconvenience caused” but explained the significant work that went into notifying the public, residents and businesses about the event.
In a lengthy statement, she commented: “We partner with an experienced events company to ensure the smooth and safe running of the event, and to minimise disruption to residents. As part of this, we engage heavily with each of the local authorities and their highway teams across the footprint of the event, and work collaboratively on the plan for road closures, diversions and re-openings including the communications plan to provide as much notice as possible to all local residents and businesses.
“As per 2024, a resident letter was physically dropped from May 19th – May 22nd to thousands of residents and businesses. This letter gives a summary of the event and has a QR code to allow the resident to scan and be directed to our community guide. The community guide, attached has a full breakdown of event information, covering road closures, locations, and timings.
“A second letter drop happened in key areas across the footprint, most notably Smallfield in Surrey and Coldean Lane, Brighton. We have a detailed summary report of the roads which received both letters, detailing from London all the way through to Brighton. We also employ 234 paid stewards, 14 safety motorbikes, 20 paid route team managers, and have police support from London, Surrey and Sussex across the 54 miles who help control traffic, flow, and the safety of cyclists, road users and the public.
“Our traffic management supplier installs Advance Warning Signage two to three weeks prior to the event following comprehensive plan for all areas of the route, with information with regards to closures and diversions. Now in its 48th year the BHF’s London to Brighton bike ride is the charity’s flagship event and is vital of raising funds and awareness of cardiovascular disease, which affects over 24,000 people in Brighton and Hove alone. This year this iconic event saw 14,000 people raise over £1.6 million to help the BHF fund more groundbreaking research into new treatments and cures for cardiovascular diseases.”





















35 thoughts on “Protester blocks London to Brighton charity bike ride… after missing Father’s Day plans because of “chaotic” road closures”
So he knew the event was on
So he knew the event was on and that it is often disruptive, but claims not to have seen any signs so he just assumed everything was fine and he didn’t need to research it further or leave any earlier? And that’s the organisers’ fault?
Brighton resident surprised
Brighton resident surprised by 48th edition of well publicised annual event.
That he has apparently taken
That he has apparently taken part in as well. Like all these people though, his main concern wasn’t for himself, it was for all the other poor souls like him who are inconvenienced. A selfless man. Always thinking of others. Just like all the people who care deeply for the disabled and elderly when anything cycling related is proposed or causing any sort of disruption.
Yeah but you don’t understand
Yeah but you don’t understand – nobody knocked on his door and talked him through it in detail and then offered to help him put one foot in front of the other to ensure everything went to his satisfaction.
Where was the public
Where was the public consultation I ask? (Where “consultation” can apparently mean “referendum where anyone who’s really angry has a veto”).
Mr Clarke told the local
Mr Clarke told the local newspaper he is “a huge advocate of the event” and “completed the race several times”
Race? He’s done it several times and thinks it’s a race? Hmmmm.
No excuse for the cyclists going through red lights at a pedestrian crossing though. The event may be popular, but the rules of the road are not suspended for it.
I thought Bell End was in
I thought Bell End was in Buckinghamshire; perhaps there are two?
There’s definitely one in
There’s definitely one in Northamptonshire
‘With unexpected time on (his
‘With unexpected time on (his) hands’, perhaps he could have walked the half mile from Phoenix Arts Centre to Brighton railway station, from where regular trains run to Lewes.
Looks to me like the
Looks to me like the organisation was the issue. Suspending the crossing and having marshalls to see pedestrians safely across the road at the same location would have been a better solution surely?
No because people rarely obey
No because people rarely obey or wait for the marshalls, seen more than once at a city centre crit people just barge through the crossing marshalls, even whilst riders are approaching at speed
Man who was (possibly only
Man who was (possibly only slightly?) slowed down by cyclists claims this has taken forever / ruined his life – and then wastes a lot more of his time making a big deal out of it.
Since this is pretty much the default reaction to cyclists for quite a few people perhaps the affliction should be formally described and named?
“Three cyclists ran over my
“Three cyclists ran over my feet while I was correctly using the crossing, almost all of them swore at me.”
I came here to question the
I came here to question the accuracy of this claim too. There’s no way he had his feet run over by even a single cyclist unless he also got shoulder barged or relieved a nice poke in the gut from a handlebar. Obvious steaming pile of Bovine excrement is clearly bullshiiii…
I can think of an logical
I can think of an logical explanation…
Im sorry but i do kind of
Im sorry but i do kind of agree with the mans issues. Not necessarily with his protest, but we do legitimately inconvenience the public with our street events (And yes most of them are races because they are timed).
Perhaps if we want to race we should choose alternative venues that are more conducive to racing.
Its different when its a group travelling from a-b but as soon as we set times it brings out the competitive streak. Which inevitably results in us not being as accomodating as we would normally.
Inkwizita wrote:
One day a year versus the other 364…
Inkwizita wrote:
Alarm bells…
How’s your feet?
How’s your feet?
Presumably he can look
Presumably he can look forward to a few years in clink for causing a public nuisance?
“A petulant protest was held on this spot, 15th June 2025”
Was the train line between
Was the train line between Brighton and Lewes blocked on Sunday? It’s a simple 15-20min journey by train.
Or according to Google maps
Or according to Google maps Ditchling Road is 6.5 miles from Lewes, which one would have thought quite within the cycling compass of one who claims to have done LTB several times.
A lovely half-hour ride! And
A lovely half-hour ride! And we already know that the weather was suitable for cycling in.
Pathetic entitled man child.
Pathetic entitled man child. The fact that he took the time to make a protest rather than try to catch up with the family says all that needs to be saying about him.
If only this idiot had put
If only this idiot had put even a fraction of the effort used for his protest into planning ahead…
And more to the point, why does the local comic publish this garbage?
Surreyrider wrote:
Click bait.
Even compared to the low
Even compared to the low standards of my local newspaper, it became clear that the Brighton Argus was a contemptible rag when I used to spend time there. That was in the 1970s so can’t imagine that things have improved since then.
Your imagination serves you
Your imagination serves you well.
As a Brighton resident, I can
As a Brighton resident, I can categorically confirm that this part is absolute bollocks:
Mr Clarke claimed there had been “absolutely no public information” about the event and “usually there would be a swathe of signage for a few weeks in advance, warning of road closures and diversion routes”.
Agreed. Although I live quite
Agreed. Although I live quite close to the road closures around Ditchling road and Lewes road and had no postal info, the signage has been there.
What baffles me is how he couldn’t work out an alternative route. I drove from Elm Grove way round to Hove at midday day and had no issues with going out and round. Why didn’t he just head west through Hove?
I get the feeling this years eventually only seems exceptionally poorly organised to him because he was exceptionally poorly organised himself and needed someone to blame but himself.
I had a lovely Father’s Day
I had a lovely Father’s Day with my family and father-in law (who has had a rough time recently). That’s because I made that a priority over being a twat
He’s ridden the event many
He’s ridden the event many times but is unaware it is held on Fathers Day every year?
In other news, a 30 year old
In other news, a 30 year old from Brighton said I’m not racist but…
Amazing!
Amazing!
“Keen cyclist” prefers to drive in his car rather than cycle <10 miles during a closed-road cycle event and fails to reach his destination… 🤦♂️
How can a ‘keen cyclist’ who
How can a ‘keen cyclist’ who ‘has ridden the event’ not know it’s happening? I’ve never done it and I don’t live in the area, but I know when it’s on. What a clown.