Like this site? Help us to make it better.


Video: Blanco count cost as Renshaw and Bos hospitalised in huge Tour of Turkey crash

Renshaw loses tooth and injures collarbone, while Bos is being treated for leg injuries; Kruopis avoids carnage to win

Blanco Pro Cycling are counting the cost of a huge crash inside the final kilometre of this afternoon’s Stage 2 of the Tour of Turkey involving several of its riders, with Mark Renshaw suffering concussion, losing a tooth and fracturing his collarbone as well as damaging muscles in his neck, while Theo Bos was treated in hospital for a leg injury, although the team has confimed he has no broken bones.

There was uncertainty for several hours regarding the extent of the riders' injuries, but in a statement issued this evening, the team said:

It's official. Mark Renshaw fractured his collarbone today. He also lost one tooth and hurt his muscles in his neck and remains in the hospital for observation. When Mark is allowed to fly, he has a concussion, he will be flying to Amsterdam as he needs surgery for his fractured collarbone. This surgery will be carried out in the hospital of Amersfoort asap by dr. Ger van Olden.

Theo Bos is on his way to the hotel. Theo has no fractures but 'only' a big hemorrage in his upper leg.

The crash came after a disjointed run-in to Antalya in the closing kilometres of the stage, riders weaving across wide roads as no team seemed willing to take the lead until Blanco did so, just as the road narrowed.

Renshaw was initially though to have clipped the wheel of team mate Graeme Brown, who was right in front of him, although there is a theory he suffered a blowout, causing him to lose control. Bos also came down, other riders ploughing into the back of them and only a handful able to avoid being held up.

It's not the first time Bos has been involved in a high profile crash in the Tour of Turkey - in 2009, he received a one month ban from the UCI after having been adjudged to have pushed then Barloworld rider Darryl Impey into the crash barriers during a stage.

Among the riders to manage to evade today's crash was Orica-GreenEdge’s Aidis Kruopis, who won the stage, and Lotto-Belisol’s André Greipel, second to Argos-Shimano’s Marcel Kittel in yesterday’s opening stage but home safely in third place today, enabling him to take the race lead from his compatriot.

Simon joined as news editor in 2009 and is now the site’s community editor, acting as a link between the team producing the content and our readers. A law and languages graduate, published translator and former retail analyst, he has reported on issues as diverse as cycling-related court cases, anti-doping investigations, the latest developments in the bike industry and the sport’s biggest races. Now back in London full-time after 15 years living in Oxford and Cambridge, he loves cycling along the Thames but misses having his former riding buddy, Elodie the miniature schnauzer, in the basket in front of him.

Latest Comments