Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pedestrian who died after RideLondon collision had been warned by marshal not to cross

Victim ‘froze’ while walking across road at a corner away from official crossing point

A 66-year-old woman who died in hospital after being hit by a cyclist during last year’s Prudential RideLondon-Surrey sportive had been told not to cross by a marshal. Diana Barimore suffered critical head and chest injuries in the collision near her Fulham home and died a month later in hospital.

The Times reports that Barimore was walking her dog on July 30 when she ignored advice not to cross New King’s Road and to instead use an official crossing point.

West London Coroner's Court heard that cyclist Paul Evans, who is in his sixties, was knocked unconscious in the collision.

Evans said he had been riding at the back of a group of five or six riders when the collision took place.

“I am away from the kerbside, to the rear of this group. I don't know who is behind me. I am looking forward, observing. The next thing, I am actually knocked out instantaneously.

“No memory or reason why this should happen. I have no memory of what happens to me. I come to on the ground. I don't think I was knocked out for very long.”

Barimore was taken to St George's Hospital in Tooting, south London, where she developed pneumonia and died on August 31.

Evans said that where marshals were stopping cyclists for pedestrians, they would slow them down first. “So the cyclists would have slowed down to stopping pace, and then pedestrians would be allowed to cross.”

He added that there were no obvious signs that there was a crossing point.

Detective Constable Amanda Hawke, from the Met Police's serious collision unit at Merton Traffic Garage, said: “Ms Barimore had been told by a marshal not to cross where she was standing, where she was wanting to cross on the corner. He pointed out the official crossing point.

“But she ignored his advice. While he was talking to a driver, she just started crossing the road. And she seemed to freeze, from CCTV. And that's when Mr Evans collided with her.”

Asked by Barimore's nephew, Jonathan Shearer, whether there was an argument for having barriers at that point of the route, Hawke replied: “I don't think so. The marshal was there. His priority, what I understand, is he is to stop cars from going in the road when cyclists are going.

“He is trying to do that as well as prevent pedestrians going in the road. It's a difficult situation. I think the ride has been going that route for a few years now. All the residents are warned, everyone knows it's going to happen. In my opinion, I don't think there was anything much else the marshal could do.”

Barimore had a history of anorexia and gout and weighed only five-and-a-half stone at the time of the collision.

A neurosurgeon said she suffered a severe head injury with a skull fracture and multiple rib fractures. In hospital, she developed pneumonia.

The medical cause of death was recorded as multiple organ failure, secondary to sepsis as a result of severe chest and inter-cranial injuries.

Her anorexia was also recorded as having played a part in the cause of death.

Alex has written for more cricket publications than the rest of the team combined. Despite the apparent evidence of this picture, he doesn't especially like cake.

Latest Comments