Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Yet another speed wobble query

Hi all. 
I have read all the measures needed to stop speed wobble when it happens (knees on TT, light grip on drops, bent arms and slightly off saddle). 
my question is this, can these measures be used to pre-empt and prevent it happening? Or are they only useful once it starts?

many thanks in advance 

Roderick

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Dave Dave | 2 years ago
3 likes

Speed wobble is resonance - a particular bike and rider has a particular resonant frequency. Almost any change in the resonating mass or damping can cause or cure speed flutter. Knee to the top tube adds damping, so it's a good way to kill it when it happens. In theory going faster can also cure it, and then it'll come back as you slow down (unless you're braking hard, obviously). In practice it's a brave rider who speeds up!

You can never be sure it isn't a possibility until you've ridden a fair bit at whatever speed you're worried about, and then don't change your setup. Even then minor variables like tyre wear mean you can't be quite certain it won't happen.

The most important thing is not to panic if it does happen. Despite feeling unstable, the bike will keep going just fine. Don't panic, ride the bike lightly and let it move under you.

Roderick3315 replied to Dave Dave | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thank you so much. Brilliantly explained. 

mdavidford | 2 years ago
2 likes

I've found a very effective measure to prevent speed wobble is not going very fast.

wtjs | 2 years ago
0 likes

Another measure, if you have a big enough load is a trailer like the Yak Bob- hardly any effect on handling while moving.

andystow | 2 years ago
0 likes

I had a touring load on once that caused a nearly constant speed wobble. I nearly went straight back home. After a few minutes of practice, I found that I could stay light on the bars and stop it from happening. It was a little stressful, though. Luckily it was only an overnight trip, 40 miles each way.

It would be a bit harder to ride with my knees clamped on the top tube, though.

Latest Comments