Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tyre suggestion for Zipp 404 Firecrests

I have the oppotunity to get a good deal on a set of Zipp 404 Firecrest wheels. They are  tubeless and I am looking for tyre suggestions. This would be my first foray into  tubeless so any suggestions would be welcome. Being the heathen that I am, they are rim braked - need a whole new bike to go down the disc route.

I would be open to considering both regualr clinchers and tubeless; pros and cons etc. Many thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
0 likes

As for brand. I didn't get on with Schwalbe tubeless, to prone to not sealing, but have got on very well with Continental 5000TLs.

The Contis seated easily and with care on getting them well seated into the well and some careful pushing with wheel in stomach technique, they were fitted without tyre levers, which are a bit of a no-no when the edge of the tyre needs to seal. Conti lasted over 5000 miles on the rear.

The Giant Gavia Fondos have been good too.

I wouldn't like to assess their performance, but both the Contis and the Gavias have been comfortable and reliable which is my criteria.

I've used the Conti sealant and the Schwalbe (which I believe is Stans). I haven't noticed punctures on the Contis, as mentioned, Schwalbes didn't seal well.

wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
0 likes

https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/models/wh-404-ftld-b1

suggests an internal width of 23mm

https://www.wtb.com/pages/tire-rim-fit-chart

suggests tyres of 30mm width and above.

Although I have seen other information that says 404 firecrests are narrower

Miller | 2 years ago
0 likes

What do you actually need to know? There are tons of great tubeless tyres these days. If you do decide to go that route then get as wide a tyre as your bike will take, probably 28s, and don't inflate them to massive pressure, I'd say 80psi at the very most for 28mm. Tubeless is very tolerant of lower pressure.

Read up on the installation process, a good tape job is key, and it should all go smoothly. 

wycombewheeler replied to Miller | 2 years ago
0 likes

Miller wrote:

What do you actually need to know? There are tons of great tubeless tyres these days. If you do decide to go that route then get as wide a tyre as your bike will take, probably 28s, and don't inflate them to massive pressure, I'd say 80psi at the very most for 28mm. Tubeless is very tolerant of lower pressure.

Read up on the installation process, a good tape job is key, and it should all go smoothly. 

I'd probably go less than 80psi, maybe 70. I have 30s on my zip 303s, and if I pump them up beyond 60psi they feel too hard.

boardmanrider replied to Miller | 2 years ago
0 likes

I suppose a brand or an actual system that someone has used. I'm pretty certain I won't be able to go beyond 25mm with my Cervelo S3.

The wheels have tubeless tape and values in place so would like a tyre recommendation. 

Miller replied to boardmanrider | 2 years ago
0 likes

Again, I think they're all pretty good these days, but anyway, you can't really go wrong with Conti 5k TL. It's not like they're way better than anything else, they aren't, just that they seem to work well for most people. What I've used: GP5kTL, fast and durable, not the most compliant; Schwalbe Pro One, fast and nice road feel; Hutch Fusion 5 All Season, not quite the fastest but has seemed entirely unaffected by winter roads; Goodyear F1 Eagle All Season, indestructible, holds air really well; Bontrager R3 Lite, comfy, durable, doesn't hold air well. None of them has given me much hassle with punctures, that's  not really something I worry about nowadays.

Your 25mm limit is tight but I have an oldish BMC which takes 25mm max and currently that runs the Schwalbes in 25mm, not that I'm using it outside at this crappy time of year.

wycombewheeler replied to Miller | 2 years ago
0 likes

Zipp  404 firecrest have internal width 23mm. I'd look to put at least a 30mm or 32mm tyre on there

80psi  for tyres with inner tubes, 65psi for tubeless

Latest Comments