Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Those pop-up cycle lanes - a despatch from the front-line

Every day in the Letters section of the Southern Echo or Bournemouth Echo, another “poor little me” letter from the motoring fraternity, saying “aren’t the cycle lanes terrible” (Southampton) or isn’t the pedestrianisation awful, killing the shops (E.g. Poole, New Milton).

I for one am fed-up with being barged out of the way by cars - thanks, Green Cross Man, etc. Why should anyone have to put up with it? 50 years of dominance - enough. It’s not OK that it’s “too dangerous” for the kids to make their own way to/from school, a friend’s, or a club.

My first non-food shopping trip since March today - Romsey’s Main Street Is Pedestrianised - if I was a trader, that’s where I’d want to be; the admittedly lesser shopping streets looked and felt tatty, compared. The future of non-food is now more than ever all about the shopping experience. Scruffy car park, No/smelly loos, grotty environment - why bother?

Maybe we’re turning the corner on the pop-ups - it feels like there’s now quite a few of us now challenging each letter, a couple of letters praising them have also come in. No-one wants to answer “what’s the alternative?” there is Some acceptance that cycling infrastructure is good/necessary - albeit not here, thanks; or yes, if it means drivers (the important ones in life) still get the lion’s share.

“I saw a cyclist do something bad - it was just before Christmas.”

My concern is that the sun is out and there doesn’t seem to be the use of the pop-ups by cyclists.

But the other arguments raised are looking increasingly hollow and contradictory. Increased congestion, more pollution, access for the elderly/ infirm (very happy to see that provided - next), cyclists everywhere/no cyclists. It’s mildly amusing to see someone build their own construct (“you want us to all go back to the dark ages”) and then proceed to argue against it.

Mildly amusing too when they’ve clearly strained the imagination sarcastically to describe some aspect of sustainable living (e.g. huh, we’ll all go to our local jobs, schooling, receive primary care) to say “yep, that could work”. I get that for some people the van is a way of life, a livelihood - it’s not all going to change overnight.

I find the “what about the special school minibuses?” and the “the pollution will only get worse, you know” arguments to be in pretty poor taste, but that’s desperation for you.

Southampton Council is Labour run, and I think what they’ve done so far has taken a fair bit of political courage; elections are in May 2021, so I hope that’s not a re-run of 2016/Brexit where sensible people fail to turn out. I hope they don’t go weak at the knees meantime.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

David9694 | 3 years ago
2 likes

News of the proposals on pavement parking has reached my village Facebook page. Reactions aren't as positive as you might hope. No grass Verge is safe, no street corner, as "I've got no choice".  Have a look at the village bus timetable 1972 - 18 buses a day, including Sunday afternoons. 

I'll get called a snob, etc but I think regular on-Street parking, other than possibly across your own frontage, is anti-social, and pavement parking, I.e.bumping-up the kerb (that is there to tell you not to do exactly that) is completely unacceptable.

Of course, if you've got your "hazards" on, that's a different matter and somehow, my 89 year old mother, one foot amputated in her electric wheelchair, will be able to pass safely after all. 

Cargobike replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
1 like

Must be that pavement tax they pay, along with their road tax too.

Organon | 3 years ago
2 likes

The Green Cross Man turned out to be Darth Vader, so I wouldn't trust him.

hawkinspeter replied to Organon | 3 years ago
0 likes

Organon wrote:

Really? I'm sure I remember seeing Sebastian Shaw (an accomplished harmonica player) in that role

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
2 likes

Haydn Christensen really let himself go...  3

brooksby replied to Organon | 3 years ago
0 likes

Organon wrote:

Didn't Dave Prowse sometimes claim that he first found out he'd been overdubbed by James Earl Jones was when he went to see the finished film...?

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 3 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

Organon wrote:

Didn't Dave Prowse sometimes claim that he first found out he'd been overdubbed by James Earl Jones was when he went to see the finished film...?

I found out that the first Green Cross Code infomercials had him dubbed to avoid his Bristolian accent, although the last one kept his original voice.

Mungecrundle replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
2 likes

I believe that Tufty also suffered the ignominy of being dubed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-JgaId8o9Jo

hawkinspeter replied to Mungecrundle | 3 years ago
1 like

Wasn't he also accused of lip-syncing?

David9694 replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

What's Tufty been eating to cause that - and where can I get some?

David9694 replied to Organon | 3 years ago
3 likes

A reminder that kids used to play outside their houses and cars on side streets once were a rare thing...

David9694 | 3 years ago
2 likes

Here's the "my 4 mile car journey took 24 minutes" letter.

At 11.30 on Monday morning I exited Coates Road, Thornhill, to join the traffic queue towards the city centre.

Looking right the traffic was backed up to Windhover.

The line of traffic was unending to Six Dials where I left the queue to negotiate the crazy route to meet someone at the Bargate.

The journey took me in total 24 minutes, for less than four miles.

Well done city council.

A Dadswell

Southampton

No, well done to you, A Dadswell - we couldn't have come this far without you. 

David9694 | 3 years ago
1 like

Green Transport Recovery Plan for Southampton approved

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/18637632.green-transport-recovery-plan-...

ktache replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
1 like

They dont seem to mention what  'major impact' the new temporary cycle lanes have had on local residents, just that there might have been 'major impact'.

David9694 replied to ktache | 3 years ago
2 likes

Cleaner air, improved access?

Tom_77 | 3 years ago
7 likes

Also in today's Daily Echo:

Southampton's adults are among the most obese in the south east

and

Revealed: The top 11 pollution hotspots in Southampton

You would hope people could make the connection and realise that we can't all just keep driving everywhere.

wtjs replied to Tom_77 | 3 years ago
3 likes

You would hope people could make the connection and realise that we can't all just keep driving everywhere

Unfortunately not- they will just keep driving their gas-guzzlers until the rising sea levels come up over the wheels. The climate emergency, when it arrives probably with some sudden deterioration that we weren't expecting, will make the Covid emergency look like the Good Old Days. I saw almost no cycles today on the Trough of Bowland road, but at least 20 to 30 times as many energy-guzzlers- they mostly just stop and sit in their cars scoffing and drinking to get over their exertions.

David9694 | 3 years ago
0 likes

"Help us to bring you the best cycling content. If you’ve enjoyed this article, then please consider subscribing to road.cc."  It now says under my original post.

First British Serial Rights offered, it is then.

David9694 | 3 years ago
0 likes

it feels like we might have won the "the pollution will only get worse, you know" argument - oh, thanks a bunch for that threat. 

interestingly, there've been a couple of "well, I'm off, then" strops, off to a neighbouring town.

David9694 | 3 years ago
0 likes

https://www.advertiserandtimes.co.uk/osborne-road-reopen

Victory for traders after council votes to reopen Covid-restricted road in New Milton town centre

I guess we'll see whether the cash registers are going to start ringing...

jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
5 likes

The same people seem to complain about Schrodinger's Cyclist (the one who can't be seen at junctions or in cycle lanes, but is always in front of a driver on urgent business slowing him down) as complain about Schrodinger's Immigrant (coming 'over here' both taking our jobs *and* claiming benefits) and Schrodinger's homosexual (simultaneously weak and feeble, and yet posing a 'backs-to-the-wall-boys' risk to red-blooded males).

Perhaps the people making such complaints simply aren't very bright?

David9694 replied to jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
2 likes

Maybe they are eating too many Ruby Magnums and getting brain freeze?

ktache | 3 years ago
3 likes

It is almost before the pop up cycle lanes existed there was no congestion, I mean ever.

Stuck in a jam on the M25, bloody cycle lanes...

Sriracha replied to ktache | 3 years ago
4 likes

Indeed, the strange thing is that adding car lanes to the M25 seems to have increased the congestion!

Hirsute replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
0 likes

Not my experience, although haven't been that way since Decemeber. Used to get caught up by the M4 bit on the way back from the in laws but nothing like that for long while. Slow down a bit but not the stop start.

Latest Comments