Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

SRAM / Shimano rotor compatibility

I have a wheel set that is currently set up for Shimano with brake rotors within accepted wear limits.

I know that I have to change the cassette to use the wheels on the SRAM bike ... but do I *really* have to change the rotors as well?

Both are 160mm diameter, so surely they should work?

[I just want to convert a set of spare wheels over to winter tyres and I've not decided which bike I'm going to use ... the older, heavier Shimano bike with less battery range against the new SRAM bike with a great battery range.
Battery range is a cop out really as my commute does follow a railway so there are abort points where I can jump on the train]

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

mtbtomo | 6 months ago
1 like

I use Shimano rotors with SRAM calipers and often no name rotors with Shimano and SRAM. No problems.

So if they're the same diameter you should be fine. You may possibly need a re-bleed if the rotors are different thicknesses but often it's barely worth bothering even if the lever throw changes a bit.

And if they're different wheels, you may have to re-align your brake calipers.

Oldfatgit replied to mtbtomo | 6 months ago
0 likes

Thank you.
I'm well versed in realignment as I swap two wheelsets over [Road and Gravel] so I don't have to keep changing tyres.

This would just give me a greater degree of flexibility without putting (another) hole in my pocket

Latest Comments