Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Smart trainer bike

I bought a tacx smart trainer and, because I was leaving it rigged and didn't want to haul a road bike up stairs, bought the cheapest bike to fit and kept it there from new.  Apollo Paradox.  Hate to ride it on the road, but was fine for the trainer.

I have now ordered a Wahoo Kickr, so am left with some choices.  Not sure if the Apollo (7 speed cassette) will be adaptable, as is.  But could it somehow also be adapted for the 11 speed that comes with the kickr?  If not, what would be the cheapest way of setting up a bike?  Does anyone sell an iron frame/forks with 11 speed group set?   Can't see the sense in wasting a carbon frame/forks and decent brakes to just sit there.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Rendel Harris | 3 years ago
0 likes

Don't see why you couldn't fit a 7-sp cassette using a 4.5mm spacer in addition to the supplied spacer for converting 10 to 11 speed? Cost bobbins, worth an experiment before buying a new bike just for the trainer? 

GordonAtTheBack replied to Rendel Harris | 3 years ago
1 like

Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately Wahoo specify a hub width of 12 cm and the Apollo measures 13cm.  Wahoo say any deviation from guidance negates their guarantee.  Pity.

Rich_cb | 3 years ago
0 likes

Depends what you use the trainer for?

If you're happy to have a slightly odd setup or don't change gears very much on the trainer a cheap MTB derailleur and shifter should sort you out.

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

IIRC, a 9 speed cassette is the smallest (if that makes sense) that will fit on a Kickr. You could probably source 2nd hand Sora or similar bits and fit them, but by the time you have adapted your current bike to do that (shifters, mechs, freehub, chain etc etc), you financially might as well have bought a different one. IMO your best best is to find a cheap 2nd hand bike that fits you with a 9+ speed Shimano, and recoup most of your losses (hopefully) via selling the Apollo. Sorry!

GordonAtTheBack replied to Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, thought as much, just hoped.  Think there is marketing opportunity being missed by someone.

OnYerBike replied to GordonAtTheBack | 3 years ago
0 likes

It's possible that there's an opportunity there, but it's also a very niche market: people who want to use a direct-drive trainer but with a bike attached to it permanently. As opposed to either a wheel-on trainer or going all out and getting a Kickr Bike or equivalent.

Then there's the economics: I doubt the cost of the material that goes into a cheap Alu or chromoly frame is very high; most of the money probably goes into the cost of manufacuring, buying the components (you can skip the brakes, but even so a 105 or higher groupset will set you back), and assembly, all of which will still be required. Given that you can already buy a new 105-equipped bike for <£800 (Triban RC520) plus the second hand market, and it's a small market to begin with, I can imagine it would be tricky to balance the books.

Recoveryride replied to OnYerBike | 3 years ago
0 likes

I do know people who have bought or made up trainer specific bikes; usually a v cheap frame, single ring chainset, and a chain. If you have a direct drive smart trainer, you don't even need gears or brakes. Add bars, seatpost and saddle. You're still looking at a few hundred quid, though. Personally, my winter bike goes on the trainer, unless I'm trying to dial in something positional on my good bike, or testing a saddle (trainers are good for that, as it's such an unforgiving situation if a saddle is uncomfortable).

GordonAtTheBack replied to Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for feedback guys, found a  Carvello with Ultegra 11 speed at reasonable cost, but still seems such a waste of all the good stuff.  The Apollo (pronounced Appauling) would have been fine if it fitted, but seems only good as a trainer, so it will go with the Tacx.  Anyone who rides one on the road has my respect.

Latest Comments