Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano pedal overtightening

I needed to replace some of the ballbearings in my shimano pedal which was easy enough and I adjusted the cone/locknut correctly. After riding I noticed the pedal was stiff so I reopened to find the cone/locknut had both screwed in tighter. Can anyone give me some advice please?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

I don't know if this might help.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/spd-pedal-overhaul

I had problems getting enough torque on the locknut on one of my shimano cage pedals many years ago (DX I believe) and I had to buy the odd little tool.

I got some XT cage pedals for the good bike, and they had the removable axle/spindle and that made things much easier.

Whenever my cup and cones have tightened themselves it's generally because I have not managed to put enough ooompf into tightening the cone and locknut against each other.  Good Luck.

Of course I have stripped threads on wheel spindles giving it too much. Grrr.

bechdan replied to ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

sounds feasible thanks

No Sweat | 3 years ago
0 likes

The simplest explanation is likely to be that you did not tighten the locknut enough to actually lock it against the cone and the axle.
I'd try again - and be quite firm.

bechdan replied to No Sweat | 3 years ago
0 likes

sounds feasible thanks

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

I did mine recently to remove some play. You'll need a 10mm and 7mm spanner to adjust the bearing correctly (if they're 105s or Ultegra - I assume the rest are the same)... I used a ring spanner for the 10mm nut which adjusts the tension / play, and an open spanner for the 7mm which is the lock-nut.  Assuming you cleaned everything out and replaced the grease.  Otherwise, it's a bit trial and error as the tolerances are quite small, but loosen the 7mm lock-nut, loosen the 10mm a fraction - tighten the lock nut - and then re-assemble. Had to do mine two or three times...it's very fiddly!  I did it without a vice - which probably explains the trial and error.  It would be easier with a vice...

bechdan replied to Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately it doesn't answer my question

Chris Hayes replied to bechdan | 3 years ago
1 like

I could be more explicit and say that you probably didn't tighten the lock-nut...:-)

bechdan replied to Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

ill retighten it and use some threadlock, just to be sure

Latest Comments