Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano 105 shifter problem

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me?

I have shimano 105 shifters on my 2 year old road bike. I've been having a problem with the left shifter. When I'm in the big front cog and shift down, the shifter works fine but when I try to change back up, the change occurs no problem but the down shift lever and little metal down shift trigger don't spring back inline and so I have to push them in manually to enable the next shift into the smaller cog. 
ive attached a couple of photos as my explanation probably isn't very good. 
the image show what it looks like after I've change up from the small front cog to the large. 

any help would be massively appreciated  1 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Podc | 3 years ago
0 likes

Not sure if I have been lucky or if this is of any use to anyone, but I've always managed to get the nipple out by using the plastic cover on the underside of the lever. It can be maneuvered to open up a gap and some pin nosed pliers can be poked in to grab the nipple and mangled cable end. Have done a few that way, but maybe, as I said, I have just been lucky. Will probably fail dismally on the next one now ☹

huntswheelers | 3 years ago
1 like

Common issue...on 105/Ultegra/DA to be honest the design of the shifter with a 90 degree turn of the cable in the shifter & tight wind of the cable promotes cable strands to break around 6-10 mm from the barrel end..... I see it all the time in the workshop and for those who put a decent amount of riding in I advise annual change of cables ...when you look at the cost of a cable verses the cost of a shifter if the barrel end can't be retrieved... Swap the cable out fella in the first instance....

Cannoli replied to huntswheelers | 3 years ago
0 likes

huntswheelers wrote:

Common issue...on 105/Ultegra/DA to be honest the design of the shifter with a 90 degree turn of the cable in the shifter & tight wind of the cable promotes cable strands to break around 6-10 mm from the barrel end..... I see it all the time in the workshop and for those who put a decent amount of riding in I advise annual change of cables ...when you look at the cost of a cable verses the cost of a shifter if the barrel end can't be retrieved... Swap the cable out fella in the first instance....

Thank you for the amplification of the issue.  I've replaced two cables to date on 2 year old bikes that have been ridden ~10km each. Both cables frayed at the same place, approximately where you stated. Shimano Optislick cables are pretty cheap ($6 US if bought in bulk packaging) and replacement is easy.

Hirsute replied to Cannoli | 3 years ago
1 like

Replacement is easy if you can get the old one out !
Just cost me 23 quid for the lbs to fix it and it took them over 20 mins with know how and whatever tools they had fashioned with experience.
I was pretty lucky they did it there and then, the first one I went to told me to come back in 3 to 4 weeks.

jaylockwood1978 replied to huntswheelers | 3 years ago
1 like

Thank you, I've ordered some more cables so going to give it a go. Never done it before but figured the worse that can happen is I have to take it somehwere for them to replace the cables! Currently geeking up watching videos and reading g the steps another poster gave me. Fingers crossed. 

Cannoli replied to jaylockwood1978 | 3 years ago
0 likes

jaylockwood1978 wrote:

Thank you, I've ordered some more cables so going to give it a go. Never done it before but figured the worse that can happen is I have to take it somehwere for them to replace the cables! Currently geeking up watching videos and reading g the steps another poster gave me. Fingers crossed. 

You got this! Lots of good videos and instructions available, and you don't need any special tools (#1 phillips screw driver, needle nose pliers, and a 4mm hex wrench) .  Be sure to watch a few videos on adjusting a front Shimano derailleur. It's not hard, just trial and error.

jaylockwood1978 | 3 years ago
1 like

Sorry, that photo is probably misleading, I had pulled the hood back just to see what was under there and have forgotten to put it back for the photo. Previously, the hood was fitted flushly and there is no more room for manoeuvre of that. Is the cable easy to get at or do I have to take it apart? Total novice here so don't want to create more problems trying to fix the existing one  1 

thanks for the speedy replies 

1 like

It's super easy to get to (and change if necessary) without removing the bar tape, shift lever, etc. I literally just replaced the rear derailleur cable yesterday on my wife's bike.

1. Pull the rubber hood forward as far as you can to expose the black plastic piece that's covering the shifting mechanism (bottom side of the shifter near the handle bar).

2. Unscrew the single black screw that holds the cover in place (#1 phillips screw - very small)

3. You will see the cable end wrapped around the circular mechanism from the inside of the lever. Shift the cable back and forth to see if the cable is frayed near the end (look from the other side of the lever also). I find that it tends to fray about 1-2cm from the metal end grommet.

4. If damaged, loosen the cable screw at the front derailleur so it is completely free. NOTE: You may need to use a flash light (torch) to see if there is damage inside of the shifter.  NOTE: One single broken cable strand will cause it to bind. This can be hard to see in poor lighting.

5. At the shifter, use a needle nose pliers to get some cable slack and release the cable end from its securing mount, then pull the cable out of the bike from the lever. This make take a little force, but not too much as the cable should come out freely.

6. On the other side of the shifter (outside), you will see a clear/white plastic cover. Pull this out by hand but do not remove it from the lever.  It's held in place by a small retaining piece.

7. You will need to feed the new cable from the inside (relative to the handle bars) of the shift lever through the lever body, then bend and install inside the hole that was covered by the clear/white plastic cover. NOTE: There is a tiny black rubber hole that you need to fit the cable into facing towards the back of the bike, just behind where the clear/white plastic cover was (see the top of page 30 of the linked PDF).

8. Feed the cable all the way down towards the front derailleur, leaving just enough slack to secure the new cable end in its retaining holder (towards the inside of the handle bar. NOTE: If your bike uses internally routed cables, there should be an internal cable guide that will drop the cable end near the bottom bracket.  You will likely need to do a little fishing to get the cable out of the hole at the bottom bracket (which may be covered by a plastic cover that needs to be removed depending on the bike).

9. From here, you will reroute the cable to the front derailleur and secure using the cable screw.  The routing is specific for the 105 R7000, but getting the cable tension correct for proper shifting takes a little finesse.  Lots of YouTube videos on this.

Link to Shimano's official instructions: https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/dm/RACBR01/DM-RACBR01-...

Shifter cable installation starts on page 30.

Hope this helps!

jaylockwood1978 replied to Cannoli | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you so much for such a detailed reply and the time you spent. Very much appreciated and I will be having a good luck tomorrow. 

jaylockwood1978 replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you. I was figuring I'd need a new lever as I presumed a spring had broken or something but will check the cable tomorrow following the instructions in another reply. My limits used to be chaining a tyre bit I have indexed my gears and replaced a chain so I'm getting better  1 

jaylockwood1978 replied to jaylockwood1978 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Just to add, the current problem didn't arise after I'd done any of these things! 

0 likes

To you and Nigel,

If you can change a chain (break the link and measure and install a new chain), you can replace a shift cable. There are absolutely no special tools needed to replace a cable (short of a cable cutter, but a good snip will work in a pinch). Have confidence in yourself and don't hesitate to watch a few YouTube videos. I find the ones from GCN and ParkTool are the best.  Watch more than one so you can see how to do it from various angles/techniques.

You've got this! laugh

ChasP | 3 years ago
1 like

Can't see any pictures but first thing check the hood is correctly positioned and not interfering then check the cable hasn't started to fray inside the shifter. 

jaylockwood1978 replied to ChasP | 3 years ago
1 like

Hi sorry, here's the photo, hopefully  1

0 likes

In that picture, your hood looks like it's not sitting flush and is too far forward (hence the gap between the hood and the shifter body).

Cannoli replied to ChasP | 3 years ago
3 likes

ChasP wrote:

Can't see any pictures but first thing check the hood is correctly positioned and not interfering then check the cable hasn't started to fray inside the shifter. 

This is likely the cause. I just replaced a damage cable in a right 105 R7000 shifter yesterday. While troubleshooting (and indexing after replacing the cable), the rubber hood was blocking the metal lever from returning correctly (I had the hood pulled back over the top). The initial symptom was poor shifting and binding of the shift lever. Removing the hood and the plastic guard that sits under the lever, revealed the cable was beginning to fray, which was binding the entire mechanism.

Latest Comments