Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Savoury fueling options?

I'm trying to find more savoury snack/fuelling options for longer rides. There are only so many sweet cereal bars I can handle!!

Currently taking out different types of nut (peanut, walnuts etc) and roasted bean-based snacks like these https://www.honestbean.co.uk/

I've heard people making rice bars I believe too. Any ideas highly appreciated!
Tom

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

peted76 | 2 years ago
1 like

Peanut butter sarnies are easy to make, carry & eat (in squares obvs), sometimes with banana in too. 

Salted nuts. Fig rolls are my go to snack (although I'm not sure whether they are savoury or sweet), bananas, homemade oat/flapjack things are dead easy and you can find the flavour/recipe which suits you 

Rice cakes filled with anything if your up for some prepwork. (Flapjacks are easier).

Veg Samosa, snickers and chocolate milk from garages.. 

I tend to keep away from meat when cycling as it doesn't digest quickly. 

Ride On | 2 years ago
1 like

Recently made a lentil loaf for tea and the left overs cold were actually pretty good and I would consider perfect savoury for a ride. Great flavour and not too much chewing required.

Ingredients include:
Lentils
Eggs
Cheese
Chopped onion
Garlic
Paprika/chilli powder/soy sauce/Worcestershire sauce to flavour

That will get you through a fair few furlongs.

bobrayner | 2 years ago
2 likes

Two pork pies and a strawberry yoghurt!

But seriously: For an upcoming big ride (well, it's a big ride for me, most of you race whippets could do it before lunch) I'm looking at turning a nice crispy French baguette into an extra-long sandwich. Mount it lengthwise under the top tube, like we used to do with oldfashioned pumps. This is the highest ratio of Aerodynamic Sleekness to Crispy Bread Goodness that I have been able to contrive so far.

Rendel Harris replied to bobrayner | 2 years ago
0 likes

bobrayner wrote:

Two pork pies and a strawberry yoghurt!

Showing your age there Bob - as I'm showing mine by getting the reference!

pockstone | 2 years ago
5 likes

A Pork Pie, scientifically proven to be all the mid- ride snack you'll ever need.

Portable, and tasty when cold.

IanMSpencer replied to pockstone | 2 years ago
1 like

I remember doing a Bath sportive about 10 years ago, and at the stops they had mini steak pies. Gorgeous. They had lots of savories which was a great antidote to gels.

These days I'd only consider gels if I was trying for a 100 mile ride where I'd probably be depleted by the last 20 miles.

Steve K replied to pockstone | 2 years ago
1 like

Pork pies are my post ride recovery food of choice.

pockstone replied to pockstone | 2 years ago
3 likes

If proof were needed.

pockstone replied to pockstone | 2 years ago
1 like

Alternative snacks are available!

Simon E replied to pockstone | 2 years ago
2 likes

pockstone wrote:

A Pork Pie, scientifically proven to be all the mid- ride snack you'll ever need.

Pork meat is one of the least digestible foods you can have while exercising.

A sarnie or roll with reduced fat houmous (RF contains more chickpea and less rapeseed oil) or with mashed banana and almond butter. Or Marmite. Cheese roll/sarnie with something like chutney or a contrasting food such as cucumber. 2 oatcakes or salt&pepper crackers with cream cheese or another spread in between.

Veg samosas. A slice of quiche.

Bananas work for me. Nak'd choc & orange bars (and Aldi's version) are good, they are mostly dates and nuts and not at all sickly.

I wouldn't call crisps a 'healthy' snack but a packet of crisps during a long ride can provide the taste buds with a nice change of flavour.

Secret_squirrel replied to Simon E | 2 years ago
1 like

Simon E wrote:

[Pork meat is one of the least digestible foods you can have while exercising.

Heresy!  Burn him he's a Witch!

Next you'll be denying the mid-ride benefits of a bacon or sausage sarnie. 

Simon E replied to Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

Secret_squirrel wrote:

Next you'll be denying the mid-ride benefits of a bacon or sausage sarnie. 

I don't know about any benefits but I'd not thank you for either if they were offered. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.

pockstone replied to Simon E | 2 years ago
2 likes

I've had many a samosa related injury carrying them in the back pocket of my jersey...too pointy! Turned to pies for their rotundity! (And mine!?)

Daveyraveygravey replied to pockstone | 2 years ago
2 likes

pockstone wrote:

Portable, and tasty when cold.

And they come in various sizes too.  Mini ones for short rides, full sized for an all dayer.

I also like mini sausages.

IanMSpencer replied to Daveyraveygravey | 2 years ago
0 likes

I suspect an emergency sausage from the night before would be a most desirable addition to the nap-sack.

Just might get a bit warm in the pocket to be safe though?

pockstone replied to Daveyraveygravey | 2 years ago
0 likes

Have you ever ridden all the way to Denby Dale?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denby_Dale_Pies

andystow | 2 years ago
1 like

I haven't tried this, but a filled steam bun / baozi / 包子 / nikuman would probably be brilliant. They're a common convenience store food in Japan. Mostly carb, a bit of protein and fat in the filling. Best hot, but okay cold.

How about a pasty, heavy on the crust and veg, light on the meat (or no meat if you're vegan or vegetarian)?

IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
5 likes

I do 60 to 80 miles on a bacon and egg sandwich and coffee at the halfway point, 3 times a week. I eat well off the bike. I'm 5' 11" and 77kg (sorry, I was educated in the 60s and 70s and my measuring systems are totally banjaxed by it).

pockstone replied to IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
1 like

I think we need to know how many meters of climbing you fit into those 60-80 miles!

(Bring back the cubit, I say!)

IanMSpencer replied to pockstone | 2 years ago
1 like

4000 feet on Sunday on 60 miles, but only fig rolls, jaffa cake and a banana at the charity food stop on our Reliability Ride. A swift pint at the finish got me home. 15.6mph moving average, my most for the winter - summer bike came out.

pockstone replied to IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
0 likes

Good going.( What's 4000ft in chains???) Fig rolls have got me through two 'Rides to the Sun' ( Only times I've ever consciously planned my nutrition) but after a whole packet I am desperate for something savoury.

I sympathise with your unit confusion. Strictly millimetres and metres at work when measuring, but a length of 3x2 will never be 75x50 in my head. Same  for climbing, metres all the way, but I can't visualise km or km/h like I can miles and mph when it comes to distance travelled or speed.

mdavidford | 2 years ago
0 likes

Rice bars are a good option, as you can fill them with pretty much anything that takes your fancy, and because the rice is basically neutral there's little that won't work with it. Almond butter is a particular favourite of mine.

Creakingcrank | 2 years ago
2 likes

Following this topic with interest as I hate gels etc. too.

There is some research that suggests potato (mashed and stored in a bag like a gel) is as effective as sugar as a carb source in endurance events (Google "potato for endurance" to get some links).

Caveats: the main piece of research seems to have been funded by the "Big Potato" industry, and trial participants reported more GI problems with potato than with gels. 

I'm a fan of the cheese sandwich on a gentle ride, but no good for races.

Latest Comments