Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Restoring a Fly6 scratched lens with Brasso

My Fly6 (non-CE) plastic lens cover had become scratched. This was only noticable when the light faded as car headlights would flare badly.

So before I drilled it out and replaced it, I thought I'd have a go polishing it out with some Brasso. It seems to have worked a treat (although obvs. if you try it, it's at your own risk!). Photos posted below...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Awavey | 2 years ago
1 like

so what convinced you to use brasso on it ? and how did you clean, in the swirl motion which is arguably what causes the scratches in the first place, or straight up and down ?

HoarseMann replied to Awavey | 2 years ago
1 like

Googled camera lens scratch removal and quite a few recommended brasso.

Used a bit of damp kitchen towel, 5p sized splodge of brasso and swirl motion. Starting off quite firm pressure, 20 mins of furious rubbing ensued! Re-applied the brasso a few times, using less and lighter pressure towards the end. Removed residue with a wet cloth and buffed dry with the sleeve of my cheap polyester fleece!

I didn't take a 'before' photo of the scratches unfortunately, but you can see how scuffed the plastic around the lens is. The lens wasn't that bad, but you could see scratches on it. Now it looks clear to the naked eye, although there are still some very fine marks there when you zoom in.

HoarseMann replied to HoarseMann | 2 years ago
2 likes

zoomed in...

Eton Rifle | 2 years ago
1 like

Worth noting that you can get lens protectors for the Fly6 now.

They also sell a protective silicone case but I can confirm that the hard lens inserts are rubbish.

HoarseMann | 2 years ago
6 likes

before and after the Brasso treatment...

Latest Comments