Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Recommendations for classic bike races to watch

Missing having any live cycling to watch, I have turned to YouTube to enjoy some past editions of races. There is a lot to watch, so any recommendations of classic editions of classics (or GT stages etc) to look out for - thinking of 1990s or later since many of these races are available.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

matthewn5 | 3 years ago
1 like

There's a great behind-the-scenes documentary of Jumbo Visma's win in the Vuelta last year on their site. Lots of in-car swearing, soigneurs, mechanicals etc.

Dnnnnnn | 3 years ago
1 like
Gimpl | 3 years ago
1 like

Chris Froome's 80 mile solo to take over the lead of the Giro in 2018 (I think) gets my vote

peted76 | 3 years ago
1 like

The last 55km of Omloop het nieuwsblad 2015 is one of my favs to rewatch.

.. and obviously all the classic, classics..  

climber replied to peted76 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Have you a link please?

nickW1 | 3 years ago
2 likes

two things jump out the first is the netflix series on Movistar well made and makes you see riders in a differing light, not sure landa comes out of it smelling of roses but well worth a view, as for races it has to be stage 9 of the Giro rosa last year two top riders battling out the last few kilometers just sheer guts and determination 

Simon E | 3 years ago
1 like

Flanders Classics have put some videos online. Yesterday I watched De Ronde 101 - Behind the scenes about the 2017 Tour of Flanders and thoroughly enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FlandersClassics1

jr10021 replied to Simon E | 3 years ago
0 likes

Just watched - thanks, that was awesome. Properly exciting, especially as I'd forgotten the result. Highly recommended!

Run BMC | 3 years ago
1 like

Have you tired Le Ride - currently on Amazon Prime Video?

OnTheRopes | 3 years ago
1 like

This profile of Phil Anderson's bid for the 1983 TdF is a great film.

https://youtu.be/93Cb5tfD_PY

jr10021 replied to OnTheRopes | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks - didn't know about this and just watched it. Really enjoyed, even the dodgy soundtrack. 

Dnnnnnn | 3 years ago
2 likes

'A Sunday in Hell' and 'Stars and Watercarriers' are proper films of classic races - both used to be on YouTube.

Latest Comments