Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Peugeot carbolite

I have a 1980s carbolite road bike which I cycled when I was a child. It’s about the correct size for an 11 year old boy so I have given it to my son. I live in the hilly Derbyshire Dales/Peak District border and he finds the original 5 speed maillard cassette a bit too hard going.
I purchased a new rear wheel with a slightly bigger hub - 135 compared to 125 (I think) and cold set the rear dropouts to accept it and a new 7 speed Shimano mega range screw on cassette. I lengthened the chain a little.
The largest 32t sprocket now makes cycling a lot easier for him.
The problem is that the rear derailleur cage sits worryingly close to the 31t sprocket. It won’t change up at all when on the 53 chain ring - but in truth he never used this anyway.
To change up on the small (48t?) chainring to the 32t sprocket he has to hold down the right friction shifter fairly assertively for a few seconds.
I was wondering if there was any easy way of creating some space between the rear derailleur cage and the largest sprocket.
If there were a ‘b’ adjustment I could move the derailleur backwards a little but the simplex derailleur doesn’t have one - as far as I’m aware.
I was wondering about a hanger extender or a longer cage. Any opinions if this would fix the issue or anything else I could do?

Thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes
Ajkitchen01 replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yep- as you say!

mtbtomo | 3 years ago
0 likes

I don't think it would be an easy mod to make without a new derailleur.

Would a different 7 speed derailleur have a b-screw? 7speed probably isn't a priority for manufacturers in this world of 10, 11, 12 speed so I'm not sure. Though having just looked, my lad's 8 speed Altus mech has a b-screw, and if it's a friction shifter then an 8 speed mech should work still. The Altus mech has a fairly long cage too.

Sounds like a great project, getting an old machine up and running again for more use  1

Ajkitchen01 replied to mtbtomo | 3 years ago
0 likes

I think I may have a rather superannuated 7 speed Shimano mech lying around come to think of it. I will see if this is compatible and makes a difference- if memory serves it does have a b screw. 

Yep - it's been good fun getting the bike more useable.  I always have a bit of a Proustian  Madeleine moment when I hear the free wheel ticking!  With any luck he'll be able to let his future child ride it one day.

Thanks.

Ajkitchen01 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Another

Ajkitchen01 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Some photos 

Latest Comments