Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

North Hertfordshire 5 minute + climbs

Hi all,

I've been riding 'properly' since March 2019 when I finally bought my first road bike - previously just commuting in London on a fixie. Since then I've cycled a fair bit - Regents park/Swains lane before work, richmond park in the evenings, and out into Kent/Surrey at the weekends. I'm in relatively okay shape overall (ran my first marathon of 3:16 in March, not sure on FTP but when tested May last year it was about 285w or 3.5w/kg) but have never done proper cycling training, the closest I've come is pre-work hill repeats up Swain's lane.

I'm now in north Herts due to the lockdown and after a few weeks back on the bike (after a good 6 months off doing only running and weightlifting) I'm keen to do some structured training in order to improve my fitness and power. I've got a few decent hills near me for 1/2/3 minute efforts (Preston hills and Sharpenhoe/Hexton mainly) but I'm struggling to think of any gradients long enough for 5 minute hill repeats or threshold efforts so I'm wondering if anyone who cycles in the area or slightly further out can recommend anything. I cycled Ivinghoe Beacon the other week which was brilliant, but it's a 90k cycle for me to get there and back so not really doable before work. Bison hill is another good one for 4 mins or so but again is a bit of a trek. Doesn't need to be steep, just up hill - for instance there's a local drag near me from Whitwell to St Paul's Walden (1.8k at 3% average, barely more than a false flat before kicking up a bit at the end), it takes a little under 4 mins to get up and is great for vo2 max intervals, so anything similar but a little longer would be great. The majority of climbs in the area seem to be 8-11% and pretty short, nothing super steep or long and steady.

Are there any suitable climbs within the Hitchin/Luton/Stevenage/Baldock/Welwyn area?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

Not particularly helpful for what you want but I can "recommend" you pop out on a longer ride to Whiteleaf if you haven't done so already.  There are several nasty climbs of off the same ridge other than Whiteleaf.  2-3 of the top 100 if I remember correctly.

reuvenfg replied to Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
1 like

would definitely recommend Whiteleaf, that is one tough hill 

henrymorcs replied to reuvenfg | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yeah decent hill that one. I did a fair few rides out to the chilterns during lockdown - mostly Bison hill and Ivinghoe beacon, but also made it out to Kop hill and Whiteleaf. Those two back to back were quite tough, I accidently went via Aston hill on the way home too and by that point was completely cooked. It's a lovely area to cycle though, lots of nice roads and hills to explore and I've barely made a dent. 

This post was primarily to find decent hills that I could get out to in the morning before starting work. Obviously hills like Ivinghoe beacon aren't a dime a dozen in this area. When in London (whcich is most of the time) I do most of my longer rides in Kent where there's a ton of steep hills and I definitely took that for granted. 

HardwareWizard | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi Henry,

I Googled "steepest climbs in Hertfordshire" and found your post, just as the second lockdown is imminent!

There are a few interesting climbs further south and west in Herts I'd put on your list:

• Hexton Hill (south of Hexton in the Chiltern Hills) is 0.75 miles with an average 6.2% gradient. You'll normally find me descending this one!

• Robin's Nest Hill (Little Berkhamsted): average 3.7% for 1.2 miles but actually has a lot of 6-8% gradient in it. If you continue south towards Brookman's Park, you can take in a further two climbs though these aren't as severe. This route is used by Sportive UK's Herts 100 and they call it "the three climbs of Little Switzerland"

• Lots in the Chilterns if you can build a longer ride out west. Useful article here listing the best 15

• One of my favourites, although a bit short, is Darnicle Hill (0.35 miles, 6.1% average).

• There are a good set of climbs coming out of Bushey, through Elstree and east towards Barnet (although may be a fair way from you). Start at Little Bushey Lane (4.8% average), do a left at the lights and continue to Barnet. The Barnet Lane Leg Breaker is short - and you have a descent beforehand to attack it - but peaks at 16.9%, the steepest I've ever encountered in Herts!

Hope this is useful.

Ben

henrymorcs replied to HardwareWizard | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the response - time to rediscover these as lockdown 2 kicks off. A shame the cold weather isn't as helpful for getting out as first lockdown. 

Hexton is a favourite of mine - lovely gradient and road surface, just a shame it's not the most quiet at times. 

I've cycled round the 'little switzerland' area a couple of times but not really appreciated the various hills so I'll definitely check them out. I actually just bookmarked an old TT course in the area that I heard about which seems to go up a few of the hills (North Road Hardriders TT). So looking forward to trying that out at some point. 

Those two near Bushey/Barnet look worth checking out too, cheers!

If you're in the Hexton area and fancy a change up Sharpenhoe hill is worth a pop - shorter but much steeper than Hexton. 

HardwareWizard replied to henrymorcs | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi Henry,

Many thanks for sharing these two - they look really good! I could build Sharpenhoe into a couple of loops I ride nearby.

You're right about Hexton, although I've never actually climbed it. I have a 100k loop that goes up to Biggleswade (north towards Meppershall and Shefford) which is one of my favourites. Wonderful scenery and views.

The TT looks interesting and is a stone's throw from me. Never seen it in segment explorer before!

Have a safe lockdown and report back if you have a go at any of those hills.

Cheers,

Ben

camerata48 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi,

There are some 3 good climbs from St.Ippolytes (Hitchin) to Preston.  The most westerly route was used for competitive hill climbs.  The most easterly is a good long drag.  

Good luck

Colin

henrymorcs replied to camerata48 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi Colin,

Thanks for responding. I actually live in Preston funnily enough and I can vouch for these climbs. The most westerly one is Charlton hill which is short and quite sharp, northerly on the Gosmore road I refer to as just Preston hill which you can hit with a bit of speed coming from the downhill just before it, and the easterly one is referred to by locals as Poynders end hill. Poynders end is probably the best for training as it takes the longest but is still only around a 2-3 minute effort so good for repeats but not quite what I was looking for. Both Charlton hill and Preston hill are just over a minute long so good for pure anaerobic type efforts.

In the end I headed over to Welwyn and did 5 reps of Digswell hill from the bottom roundabout up the B197. Had to cross 2 roundabouts on the effort but early morning and with coronavirus there was very little traffic so no interruptions. It's more of a drag than a climb but still enough to provide resistance through the pedals. 

Cheers,

Henry

Daveyraveygravey replied to henrymorcs | 3 years ago
0 likes

Just wondering why they have to be hills?  You can do threshold repeats anywhere.  I get that doing them uphill makes them harder, but if you are riding to a power or hr figure, that's what is controlling your effort.

HoarseMann replied to Daveyraveygravey | 3 years ago
0 likes

I heard of someone who filled his kids bike trailer with sacks of logs to add resistance for training!

mike the bike replied to HoarseMann | 3 years ago
0 likes

HoarseMann wrote:

I heard of someone who filled his kids bike trailer with sacks of logs to add resistance for training!

Logs?  Logs?  Must be a nancy southerner.  Coal lad, that's what thee needs, coal.

pockstone replied to mike the bike | 3 years ago
0 likes

No need to waste energy shovelling coal about...use the kids.

(If you need a bit of recovery, they can always walk home.)

henrymorcs replied to Daveyraveygravey | 3 years ago
1 like

It's a fair comment. I was after hills for a few reasons:

1) I enjoy them and find it more stimulating doing hill repeats rather than just pushing on the flat/rolling terrain for shorter efforts like 5 mins

2) Steady flat ground for 5 mins can be quite hard to find round here and it becomes hard/dangerous to hold the effort on downhills

3) Repeatability - I don't have a powermeter on my bike so it's difficult to get the intensity right. On hills I find it easier to judge the effort, it's easier to keep consistent force through the pedals, and I have segment times to compare my efforts with

4) Traffic or junctions on flat roads are more prevalent than uphill

Hew replied to henrymorcs | 3 years ago
0 likes

I live in Letchworth and agree, there aren't many long-ish climbs with a decent gradient around here.

But I think these two climbs would suit your requirements, both not far from Baldock and nice quiet lanes to get there. The latter has a nice kick to finish...

https://www.strava.com/segments/895104

https://www.strava.com/segments/3202465

henrymorcs replied to Hew | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi Hew, thanks a lot for these they look great. I went out one weekend in the summer to find that Coombe lane climb but took the turn before it by accident and climed the road up past the golf club to Therfield instead. It's quite a nice climb but Coombe lane looks a bit longer with a steadier gradient, plus you don't have to worry about stray golf balls... Will definitely check that one out in the coming weeks.

Chishill looks solid too, I'll try to find a loop to incorporate it. I've just come back here for 2nd lockdown and forgot how many short up and downs there are. I did a loop from Hitchin to Huntingdon and Cambridge on Sat to keep it relatively flat but all other routes are constantly up or down for short periods of time. Lovely to get out in the fresh air especially with not much else on offer at the moment. 

Latest Comments