Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help selecting lowest gearing possible using sram red or similar

Hi. I had cancer 6 years ago and have never really recovered my fitness levels and its quite possible , i never will. Ive lost my right eye as a result and feel quite nervous when cycling on roads these days , as i cant see behind me so well anymore when making a manoeuvre. Having said that, I still want to ride my bike and feel i deserve spoiling myself by getting the sram etap electric groupset , but as my fitness has gone, I would like to ask what is the very lowest gear ratio i could fit to my bike using sram . I currently have a shimano ultegra triple chainset fitted , but would like to change to a compact or subcompact version with a large rear cassette, so that the ratios i get would be as good ( or even better) than with my triple. In the past, I have cycled up Alpe Duez twice, Les Duez Alpe, Col de Galibier , Mont Vontuex and many other big mountains in France and Italy and while i think those days are over, I would still like to spoil myself with an excellent quality groupset, My Merlin Titanium frame is brilliant and light, but is not really ssusitable for a shimano D12 system without having cables clipped all over the place, whereas with the sram, as the battery is mounted on the components, I would not have untidy wring as I would have with the shimano set up. So any advice on the lowest gear ratios I could hopefully achieve would be much appreciated. Many thanks . Jimmymerlin

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Drinfinity | 2 years ago
0 likes

I've got 32 front 11-46 rear on my cyclocross bike, with SRAM Rival. Lots of steep hills locally, so great for going uphill - it will climb up a muddy wall. A bit under geared going downhill - on the road. For road, next time I might go to XD hub and use 9-46.

I don't have a problem with gaps between ratios - my legs can turn at different cadences without causing a nosebleed, but I confess I'm not a finely honed timetriallist.

If budget isn't an issue, then as recommended here AXS 'mullet' with 9-52 on the back and your choice of chainring up front is the way to go. 

Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

AXS Force/Rival/Red Front + Eagle rear aka "AXS Mullet" gives you the lowest possible gears at the expense of going to 1x.

You can get as low as 52r x 30f if you can fit Eagle cranks. Lower if you get non SRAM chainrings.

Force Cranks will go down to 33t front ring.  

You will need a new Dub BB too.

Some ideas here :

https://advntr.cc/bike-tech-sram-mullet/

Google Sram AXS Mullet for more options the other good news is that it's an officially allowed product by sram.

It will probably cost you over £2k but if it restores your joy in biking it's worth every penny IMO.

Your other option for similar or less money would be an Ebike conversion kit.  Swytch and Vekkit have had good coverage on the ebiketips  road.cc's sister site.  Brighton ebikes do a nice mid-mount option for nicer weight distribution.

Given you have a Merlin frame depending on whether you think it's sacrilegious or not you may even be able to get them to properly convert it to fit a mid mount motor!

dabba | 2 years ago
1 like

I use a rear view mirror because of right side vision limitations. I've got one on each of my bikes and a bike feels naked without one. I bastardised an Mirrcycle MTB mirror to come up with the one below just by cutting off the shaft that would normally fit into the MTB bars. They do make them for drop bars, but I felt that they compromised the construction of brake levers because they were designed to be a part of the lever. If you fall with them, there's a possibility that you can damage the lever because of the attachment method, whereas mine are just securely attached by cable ties. I use the same attachment method for Ultegra or just brake specific levers.

The Mirrcycle mirrors are available in Australia from 

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/psh-mirrycle-mtb-bike-mirror-mirrycle/?utm_...

dabba replied to dabba | 2 years ago
1 like

This is the rough idea of of the design. Later versions don't have the arm going over the handlebar, so instead of it being 60mm as shown on the drawing, it's only short as shown in the pic above. I've been using this for over 25 years and had no problems and the cable ties don't impede the gear change mechanism. . 

jimmymerlin replied to dabba | 2 years ago
1 like

Thanks for the reply and the photos. This is the mirror I use at the moment, but its not all that good...... but better than nothing. I like your idea and did you make the bracket yourself for fixing to the brake hoods ????? I have recently found this website :- https://hindsight.store/  that says it supplies bike glasses that enable you to see whats behind you because of the clever design of the lenses they use. Not tried them yet, but was thinking of giving it a go in case it helps. But first, I will give your idea a try. Many thanks for the advice. I'm waiting an eye op where they will stitch my eyelids together permanently to try and ease the discomfort I get evry minute of the day , so just hoping it works ! Cheers Jimmymerlin

hawkinspeter replied to jimmymerlin | 2 years ago
0 likes

You should try the Cateye BM45 bar-end mirror - I've been using one for a few years. It's the best combination of being easy to adjust whilst riding (on a clear bit of road obviously) so that you can get it in exactly the right position and yet it also stays put so that you don't have to keep re-adjusting it (unless you knock it with your knee or lean the bike against something).

(generic photo - not my bike)

wtjs replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
1 like

Great piece of advice HP! I've been considering something like this for some time- I just needed someone sensible's personal recommendation. I've ordered one.

Hirsute replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
0 likes

Got one of those a couple of weeks ago after you mentioned it. Handy when someone is really close behind.

First 2 trips I was looking at it too much though and not looking forward enough !

dabba replied to jimmymerlin | 2 years ago
1 like

I made the arm myself out of aluminium.

I had a look at the bar end mirrors, but I didn't want to have to look down so far and away from what was happening ahead. This configuration solved the problem.

I also considered the helmet/glasses mounted mirrors, but with only vision in one eye, I didn't want to run the risk of the mirror or arm potentially causing damage to my remaining eye in the event of a fall/collision.

This mirror configuration only requires adjusting when it's bumped with a bit of force, and the bigger mirror makes it easier to see what's behind. The security of the cable ties is quite surprising and holds the arm quite firmly. 

Good luck with your op! 

Spangly Shiny | 2 years ago
0 likes

Sram Rival AXS 43/30 with 10/36 cassette if you want to keep it all Sram, if you can get it.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Spangly Shiny | 2 years ago
0 likes

Of course, Jimmy you will need specific freehubs on your wheels for SRAM 12 speed. 

Latest Comments

• OnYerBike 0 sec ago

Wax tends to last longer than wet lube between applications (although varies depending on brand of wax/lube). So, however frequently (or...

• Steve Williams 5 min 31 sec ago

Personally I find have my arms wider just makes it that little bit easier to breathe - I wonder if others do too? Got to love the toe clips, 5mm...

• mattw 27 min ago

The road is an in-out No Motor Vehicles Except Access loop with no vehicle access in the middle of the loop ie effectively a crescent....

• cyclisto 45 min 10 sec ago

I understand that if it is on sale, most likely it will be sold. I am just trying to understand its benefits....

• DJameson 53 min 17 sec ago

My regular Aldi is urban, and the bike racks are heavily used and fantastic. I appreciate that they're right outside the plate glass, so any...

• Rendel Harris 1 hour 16 sec ago

So, just as an example, what had five-month-old twins Naeim and Wissam Abu Anza, killed in an Israeli airstrike on a civilian house, done in their...

• Rod Marton 1 hour 22 min ago

The good news is that GWR no longer insist on bike bookings. Though this doesn't solve all the other issues with carrying bikes on GWR trains....

• Steve K 1 hour 55 min ago

On the subject of other vehicles blocking cycle lanes, there is a point on the Croydon Tram between Waddon and West Croydon where it is designed in...

• daccordimark 2 hours 8 min ago

I've had one of these since November and agree it's good value for money. For me, the ride is a bit harsh and I can't really detect any comfort...

• mark1a 2 hours 39 min ago

I tried something similar with some timber and a pair of Delta hitches, with (unlike yourself) limited success, and so for people like myself with...