Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Guided cycling holidays

Does anyone have recommendations for guided cycling holidays? I will have a week to 10 days to spare in July and would like to use it cycling somewhere in Europe.

Thoughts so far:

• Guided and catered - I do not want to have to think much about navigation or food or carry luggage.
  • Don't mind if it's a tour or a series of rides from a fixed base.
  • Not too hot - I function best below about 25 degrees.
  • Need to find something about right for my (lack of) ability - my rides are mostly about 80-90 km at about 22-24 km/h with 750-1000 m of elevation.
  • A bit of climbing is welcome but I'm not looking to tick off famous climbs - no Stelvio or Tourmalet needed: 15% gradients are about my limit unless a special occasion.
  • Bike provided if possible - I don't want to stress about arriving with a broken bike.

I was thinking that Brittany might be suitable and wonder if anyone can recommend an operator there, or something similar. I'd consider going to less warm places too for the right experience.

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Eton Rifle | 2 years ago
0 likes

These guys are worth a look. I haven't been there myself but it looks pretty good and Greece is always lovely.
http://greekcycleholidays.com/

TheBillder | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thank you everyone, lots of food for thought there.

PRSboy | 2 years ago
0 likes

I cannot speak highly enough of Marmot Tours.  I've done three trips with them, all absolutely brilliant, and will probably repeat the French alps this year (though thinking long and hard due to the current travel ban).  They do tend to revolve around 'classic cols' though so are climbing oriented.  I would however say that Alpine climbing is different as the gradients are not too steep, but long.  As such, steady efforts, and I was always able to have a chat and enjoy the ride.

I went to Mallorca too, where the riding was easier but it will be too hot in July.

RM | 2 years ago
0 likes

In 2017 I went on a tour in Italy with Wide Open Road Cycle Tours (https://www.wideopenroad.net.au/milan-to-venice). They are an Australian based company but I'm sure you could meet them at the starting point, Milan.
Smallish group (a dozen or so) with varying abilities and ages.
This might be too hilly for you but hey you only live once, no point going to Italy and not ride the iconic climbs such as Stelvio I reckon! 
A bit pricey (remember to factor in airfares to and from Italy as well)  $5890 AUD (~£3147)  per person twin share, Single supplement $950 (~£508), Tour Deposit $900 (~£481) per person,

mtbtomo | 2 years ago
1 like

I would highly recommend CHS (Cycling Holiday Spain) in Callosa d'en Sarria (Inland from Altea on the coast along from Benidorm). https://www.cyclingholidayspain.net/

Nozad the owner will tailor the week to his guests, and will either provide vehicle support/guide and/or ride with you . Breakfast is cereal, juice, fruit, nuts plus eggs on toast, there is a buffet on the table when you arrive back from a ride and then dinner is a three course home cooked meal.

The villa where you stay has a gym, pool, sauna, steam room, hot tub plus games/TV room (with pool table).

Rides can vary from perhaps a short hour or two up to the Coll de Rates (amazing apple.strudel!) or lomger rides. Climbs are generally steady, not many more than 10% unless you go looking for them. The climbs do often feature in the Vuelta which I know you said you weren't bothered about but the roads generally are low on traffic and what drivers there are generally courteous and patient.

It's a fantastic place, the hosts are friendly and can't do enough for you. The riding is superb and if you choose the right time of year, you should be able to get a temperature that suits.

Hopefully touch wood I'll be out there next week for the 6th time!  1

mtbtomo replied to mtbtomo | 2 years ago
0 likes

Sorry, missed the bit about being in July. Will probably be too hot in July/August - but any other time of year it's amazing!

Jack Sexty | 2 years ago
0 likes

Hi, check out our Tour Finder there's plenty to choose from! https://tours.road.cc/ 

TheBillder replied to Jack Sexty | 2 years ago
0 likes

Ah, that looks more than useful, thanks Jack.

I'd still be very interested in people's experiences if possible.

Woldsman replied to Jack Sexty | 2 years ago
0 likes

Jack Sexty wrote:

Hi, check out our Tour Finder there's plenty to choose from! 

Hi, Jack.

Just to let you know that - assuming the road.cc tour follows the official route - 30 miles are missing from the listing for the Way of the Roses.  (The daily mileages add up to 140; the Way of the Roses is 170 miles long.)  

https://tours.road.cc/cycling-holidays/bikecation/way-of-the-roses/

See here:

http://wayoftheroses.info/route/

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Woldsman | 2 years ago
0 likes

It is not really Road.CC though but whoever their tavel partner is.

Woldsman replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
1 like

AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

It is not really Road.CC though but whoever their tavel partner is.

I dare say.  I wasn't attempting to attribute blame, merely pointing out something that doesn't add up. Jack can do something about it if he wishes. 

Incidentally, the Way of the Roses is a lovely route.   Highly recommended.  

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Woldsman | 2 years ago
1 like

Sorry, I couldn;t resist writing that when I saw the contact the tavel partner form. 

mdavidford replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
0 likes

AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

Sorry, I couldn;t resist writing that when I saw the contact the tavel partner form. 

There's no need to wine about it.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to mdavidford | 2 years ago
0 likes

Probably drinking it when they created the form.

Eton Rifle replied to Jack Sexty | 2 years ago
0 likes

Link doesn't work for me, Jack.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Eton Rifle | 2 years ago
0 likes

Just remove the crap after the last / and it will work, or copy and paste the text of the web address in Jacks post into your browser and not click the hyperlink.

Latest Comments