Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Exceptional Hardship

The guidelines for claiming "exceptional hardship" have changed, it should now be much harder to avoid a driving ban by claiming that you'd lose your job:

Quote:

Loss of employment will be an inevitable consequence of a driving ban for many people. Evidence that loss of employment would follow from disqualification is not in itself sufficient to demonstrate exceptional hardship;

Hopefully this will take more bad drivers off the road.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

wtjs | 3 years ago
1 like

There is no point in being surprised at a legal representative saying anything up to and including lying on behalf of a client- that's what they're paid for. The problem is judges and magistrates taking the representations seriously- you will recall the recent joke suspended sentence for a woman who killed the 'older' cyclist (by knocking him off so that the driver close behind could properly finish him off) near Aberystwyth because the 'sun was in her eyes and he was wearing a distracting reflective jacket' (not an exact quote!). Drivers are expected by the 'sentencers' to kill the odd cyclist, putting them in prison won't bring the cyclist back etc. etc.

Gary's bike channel | 3 years ago
1 like

before i got furloughed, my twatty boss started telling me about the cars theyd owned in the past, a load of lies, but i pretended to believe them. Apparently they owned a lot of fast vehicles, and one time they got caught speeding at 120 mph in their subaru impreza, but luckily, they knew a policeman who got them off in court, even though they got given a total of 20 points including that offence.  That doesnt happen! Police officers can't get people off, if its down to the court, its up to the judges what happens to the defendant, the police officers testimony is only to help the judge grasp the situation.  

Tom_77 replied to Gary's bike channel | 3 years ago
2 likes

Gary's bike channel wrote:

before i got furloughed, my twatty boss started telling me about the cars theyd owned in the past, a load of lies, but i pretended to believe them. Apparently they owned a lot of fast vehicles, and one time they got caught speeding at 120 mph in their subaru impreza, but luckily, they knew a policeman who got them off in court, even though they got given a total of 20 points including that offence.  That doesnt happen! Police officers can't get people off, if its down to the court, its up to the judges what happens to the defendant, the police officers testimony is only to help the judge grasp the situation.  

Perhaps your boss's policeman friend belongs to the same Masonic Lodge as the judge  3

David9694 | 3 years ago
5 likes

Hey Siri, give me a list of all the the things I should have thought of before I drove like a prat.

ktache | 3 years ago
5 likes

It was almost as though the points were pointless.

Simon E replied to ktache | 3 years ago
2 likes

ktache wrote:

It was almost as though the points were pointless.

More that the chances of getting away with the crime relies on the defendant's (or their solicitor's) ability to cynically play the self-pitying  destitution card.

I always thought that any driver caught driving like a c*** deserves to be taken off the road, regardless of the 'hardship' plea. Perhaps magistrates will finally be able to acknowledge that these are crimes that must be dealt with accordingly.

andystow | 3 years ago
7 likes

Nice.

Bmblbzzz replied to andystow | 3 years ago
3 likes

Let's see how mags implement this.

Latest Comments