Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cassette for direct drive trainer

Hello,

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I'm totally new to the whole business and need some guidance. 

I ride a B'Twin 500 (https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle-magazine/bike-test-btwin-triban-500 )which has a 12x25 8-speed cassette. I've recently purchased a Flux S turbo and need to buy a cassette for it. From the reading I've done it seems the norm is to use a 10 or 11-speed cassette on a turbo, so my question is - am I able to use an 8-speed cassette on the turbo and/or will a 10 or 11-speed cassette work on my bike?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

wycombewheeler | 3 years ago
1 like

you will need a cassette that matches your bike, so 8 speed. the trainer will likely have an 11 speed hub, so you will need a spacer.

I'm not sure taking a bike off a trainer is a faff, no more of a faff than changing a rear wheel. UNLESS you also want to move the casette from the trainer to the wheel.

jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
0 likes

According to the ever-useful Sheldon Brown, https://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html , "Any Shimano Hyperglide cassette with 7 through 10 sprockets will fit any Shimano Hyperglide hub" (with some exceptions that don't affect you).  So the 8-speed cassette should fit on the freehub of the trainer.  Go carefully when fitting, ensure that the cassette can't judder from side to side ('along' the splines of the hub) and you should be fine.

However, will you still want to use the bike outdoors?  It's quite a faff to take a bike on and off a trainer, I bought another that lives on the trainer full-time.

akidnearwater replied to jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for this - yes I only have the one bike but I dont anticipate using it until the spring (I'm very much a fair-weather rider).

Secret_squirrel replied to jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
1 like

It's no more faff to get a bike off a trainer than it is to take the back wheel in/out for any other reason.  You might get an oily finger tip pushing down on the rear mech cage but that's about it. 

Latest Comments