Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

To bell or not

So today while cycling i came up behind 2 walkers in a lane.I was going 5 mph and from a resonable distance I politly said 'bike coming past ladies' .They moved out the way.however as i passed one lady said 'you need a bell' This seems to be the standard responce from walkers. I have also had this cycling in the forest on my mtb with walkers on cycle tracks

So do i need a bell?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

80 comments

mtb_roadtripper | 3 years ago
1 like

I have a bell on the tourer which I use in the city. Riding through a city on shared paths without a bell is just torturous. Most people in that situation are expecting and listening for a ding ding but you get the odd person annoyed at you for dinging. I dont think twice about it. 

On the roadie I have no bell and on the rare occasion the hub noise doesnt alert walkers, I either do a loud kissy noise or a "beep beep" try n keep it jovial. There are always occasions no amount of daft noises works and I just have to slow right down n squeeze past. 

I think if you ride even 20% of your riding in urban areas, a bell is important. 

Achtervolger | 3 years ago
0 likes

I think with some people you can't win, they just don't like cylists. I always used to call out something polite to let walkers out in the peak district know that I was approaching on my road bike, as fitting a bell on it just isn't going to happen. Just recently though, I've actually started to call out "Ding Ding!" then when that's got people's attention, I politely ask if I can ride past. This seems to work quite well, although I still had a "don't you have a bell?" from a chap on a bridleway recently.

Tom_77 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have a bell, rarely need it though. On country lanes almost all the pedestrians I see walk facing traffic, so they do see me coming. Tend to use the bell more on shared paths. Usually it's best to ring the bell from a long way back, if you're too close then they don't have enough time to react. I also like to have both hands covering the brakes if I'm close to pedestrians.

I've ordered a bear bell, it's designed for hikers who don't want to surprise the wildlife. Not sure how well it will work on a bike, but it was only £4.

HoarseMann replied to Tom_77 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Interesting to know how you get on with the bear bell. I've considered a Timber! bell, but not sure how well it would work on a road bike vs MTB.

HoarseMann replied to Tom_77 | 3 years ago
2 likes

Well I gave the bear bell a shot - rubbish.

I can see it might work for a mountain bike, but on a road/town bike there's just not enough motion to cause it to ring. I have to dangle it from the end of the handlebar and wiggle the bars to get a reasonable ring, which isn't going to work.

So I replaced my broken bell on the town bike with the venerable Widek 80mm ding dong. It's big, heavy and loud. Plus doesn't sound too agressive.

In my internet travels, I came across this shop that had the widest selection of bells I've ever seen - most with a sound clip too.

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-accessories/bicycle-bells/

Captain Badger replied to HoarseMann | 3 years ago
4 likes

That's really weird, cos I've found them to be highly effective. Ever since installing on my handlebars I can honestly say that I've not crashed into a bear once

ktache replied to HoarseMann | 3 years ago
1 like

Bit spendy I will admit, but this trick stem featured in fgf in singletrack last week.  Notice the built in trail bell.  And yours for only £260 .

HoarseMann replied to ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

ouch, that's a bit pricey - I think I'd take my chances crashing into a bear, they look quite fluffy and soft, probably not too bad a landing!

996ducati | 3 years ago
5 likes

Honestly, you will never be right on this issue. I regularly ride an old shared use railway line and if you dont bell I get "do you have a bell?", if you do, the walkers get grumpy, then others will say "oh nice bell!". The worst offenders are joggers who listen to music wearing earphones so are shocked when you pass, bell or not.

roadrunner23 | 3 years ago
8 likes

In some ways it's dead easy on a shared use path you need to give the same consideration to pedestrians as a car driver should give a cyclist. Give pedestrians as much space as you can, slow down, if it is not safe to pass wait until it is. A free wheel noise or a polite excuse me works very well as you are making a human contact. Try to smile. It's not the pedestrians fault that it's a shared use path ideally we should be separted. Airhorns are a no-no, bells and speech are better as is a "thank you". 

Sriracha replied to roadrunner23 | 3 years ago
5 likes

Yup. It saddens me to hear cyclists moan about pedestrians in the same way motorists moan about cyclists. But if it helps people see that such is human nature, regardless of mode of transport, maybe that's a good thing.

Cargobike replied to roadrunner23 | 3 years ago
1 like

It really isn't difficult, is it?

Confrontation usually arises as people feel threatened.

Slow down, stop if neccessary, smile, be polite.

Obviously there's always the one, but don't rise to the bait if possible. Same rules apply, slow down, smile, be polite, but if you do lose it, go nuclear.

wtjs replied to roadrunner23 | 3 years ago
1 like

A free wheel noise or a polite excuse me works very well as you are making a human contact.

Agreed. Or clicking the levers. Doesn't seem to be a problem round here, but there aren't very many shared use paths.

OldRidgeback replied to wtjs | 3 years ago
1 like

Yep, I agree that a nice clicky freewheel is good. I have them on both my BMXs. I need to get the same on my MTBs.

Spokesperson replied to OldRidgeback | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have the quietest freewheel imaginable - deliberately, as that rattlesnake sound is annoying - and it is absolutely lovely. But I do now have to make simpering "hello" or coughing noises coming up behind pedestrians or other cyclists. Not sure I've got room to fit a bell beside my Go-pro, Garmin, front light, phone mount etc.... solutions?

Bmblbzzz | 3 years ago
0 likes

From bell, bull and balls o'fax, the good lord preserve us!

Organon | 3 years ago
1 like

Even with a rather loud freewheel I find people are just oblivious to the fact at cyclist might be approaching. Especially on well marked mixed use cycleways that are being encouraged these days. So people have the most peculiar reactions, including teenagers ducking and running right across in front of you, oncoming joggers and walkers running right at you (keep left!) I've found that alerting people makes them worse, just pass by without a sound, and if I have to slow right down I will give a polite 'excuse me.'

Having said that, I still get passive aggressive remarks about bells, especially when going slowly. I think this is more to do with a certain demographic of entitled middleaged white women who seem to think they are in some way oppressed and need to fix it. 

brooksby replied to Organon | 3 years ago
1 like

That obliviousness applies also to the general roadway, I think, not just to shared use paths.

Pedestrians regularly* step out into the road based on not being able to hear any oncoming traffic and "knowing" that the road is therefore clear.

I kind of expect it, now, and ride accordingly.

*In my experience. YMMV.

Organon replied to brooksby | 3 years ago
1 like

Then there are the people that just drifting across the road towards you. As I am riding along the edge of the road so many times pedestrians will just set off across the road from my right, right in front of me. They give the briefest glance or don't even look at me. Then they realise that they have miscalculated and are giving side eyes back up the road towards a racing car, hurtling towards them. Do they turn back [never!] Do they slow to a stop and hope the danger passes. Or do they shamble forward hoping I will slow down and allow them to pass unharmed. Or maybe they think if they just walk at the right angle they might miss everything...

eburtthebike | 3 years ago
0 likes

Last week, I was on my ecargo bike, heading down to some promising outcrops of elderberries, a fairly steep hill, so even with the regenerative braking I was doing maybe 25mph.  I spotted two lady walkers going in the same direction in the road a hundred metres ahead, so slowed slightly and ran the bell when I was about thirty metres away; no response.  Twenty metres; ran the bell again, three times, no response.  Ten metres; ran the bell continuously until I passed them on the inside, the nearest one jumped.  They weren't deaf as I assumed, as they passed me later picking the berries, and were talking to each other.

What can you do?  Airhorn perhaps?

hawkinspeter replied to eburtthebike | 3 years ago
0 likes

Well, I'd try to not pass them on the inside.

jh2727 replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
1 like

The pedestrians were walking on the road - so presumably because there was no pavement.  Rule 2 of the highway code advises to generally walk on the right-hand side of the road where there is no pavement.  They had their back to him - therefore the correct side to pass is the 'inside'.

hawkinspeter replied to jh2727 | 3 years ago
1 like

Maybe we've got confused terms here. I consider "inside" to be between the ped and the edge of the road and outside/offside would be between the ped and the middle of the road.

Cargobike | 3 years ago
4 likes

Pfft.....

I creep up on them ninja style and boot them into the canal, afterall pedestrians are only motorists who've lost their cars 

Actually, I prefer to give clear instructions of my intentions, especially if approaching from behind, so that everyone knows what is happening, all done in a cheery tone and at a speed where nobody is going to feel threatened, even if that means stopping completely as many people seem to have no idea of left or right when caught unawares.

However, dog walkers, especially the twats with the long extending leads definitely need the first treatment. I've had a few dickheads who want to argue the toss, but generally people respond best when you show a bit of empathy and manners.

andyp363 | 3 years ago
1 like

Find a bell doesn't get a great response 1/2 the time - the trick is to do it VERY early, but still feels a bit presumptuous like a car beeping you with the horn

Had quite a few people literally jump out their skins when I speak (on quiet paths)

BEST solution is just a nice loud clicky freehub  stop peddling get some buzzing going always works great gets attention good without sounding  get out of my way-ey or being too surprising (unless you on some kings and stop peddling at 30mph 10 feet away hahah  save that for people crossing the roads without looking

And unless there's a strong headwind

roadrunner23 | 3 years ago
0 likes

For some you'll never get it right. I remember once passing a couple of horses on a reasonably wide road in the middle of a village. I slowed right down, moved right across to the opposite side of the road about 15 metres before I got to the horses and still got an earful from one of the riders. The horse didn't react at all though.  1

TheBillder | 3 years ago
6 likes

I find a good loud parp on the hunting horn does the job very nicely. Any pedestrians having issues with this policy can be swatted away by my grooms SocratiCyclist and BOOBOOJMOOJ using rolled up copies of the Daily Mail.

I mostly delegate my actual cycling to those two anyway.

Captain Badger replied to TheBillder | 3 years ago
3 likes

The Torygraph , surely....

shutuplegz | 3 years ago
3 likes

Historically I found that on shared-use paths pedestrians would get far more grumpy at having a bell tinkled at them (just like if someone beeps their car horn at you I guess?) than other means. Politely shouting something only works some of the time and wind direction can just carry your voice away. These days I try to avoid such paths but do regularly encounter horse riders on the roads. Again, sudden noises like bells can scare a horse and a polite 'hello' or 'bike coming through' might not be heard until its too late. So I have found that a really noisy freehub is the best solution. Just freewheel from a good distance back and the noise is high enough frequency to be different to other nosies around and usually the rider hears it or the horse hears it and turns its ears before you run the risk of giving it a fright. Works for pedestrians too!

Shades | 3 years ago
4 likes

Bells are like mudguards; sensible bits of kit that some people would rather be seen dead using (for some reason).  I've got a titchy bell clipped to the side of the shifter hood; never get any grief from pedestrians.

Pages

Latest Comments