Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Oakleys - are they worth it?

Considering getting some Oakley glasses. Ones with a prescription required though. Seem very expensive. Are they worth it?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

37 comments

wjputt replied to yourpaceormine | 10 years ago
0 likes
yourpaceormine wrote:

The prescription bit is ridiculously expensive. If you want interchangeable lenses for different conditions then consider Rudy Project. I have used Rydons with the prescription Rx insert for about 8 or 9 years. Insert clips into frame and sits just behind the Rydon lens. Can change Rydon lens as normal, or if you don't want to use the Rx insert (if you start using contacts say) then take the Rx insert out. (Other plus side is if you prescription changes than it is a heck of a lot cheaper).
Negatives - felt a bit strange at first, but soon got used to it. Insert not really visible to the outside world except when I use clear or yellow lenses. In very cold conditions + wet they steam up. (Anti fog treatment works well unless you go for coated prescription lenses).
Big plus is you can often pick a Rudy Project pack up cheap, frame and a few different lenses. Rx insert can be ordered in by Rudy srockists. Your optician can glaze the insert which is handy particularly as most opticians refuse to give out your PD measurement (as not part of the prescription). You will need to check Rudy website for maximum Rx index that insert can support.

This is really helpful. Please clarify what the Rx is? Would I need to go back to my optician to get the insert lenses or is there another way of doing that? That is getting the prescription and obtaining it from the Rudy Project provider?

Bagpuss replied to yourpaceormine | 10 years ago
0 likes

I too have Rydons with Rx lenses and while the fit and optics (transitions lenses) are pretty good the frames are not in the same league as others I have used, after 2 years use the metal arms are corroding and I'm not sure how long they will last.

On the other hand my plastic M frames which are maybe 15 years old now are fine. But won't take an Rx insert.

KiwiMike | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've owned loads of Oakleys over the last two decades, (Blades, Razor Blades, M-frames, etc). Back in the day, sure. They were innovative and perfect for running/cycling. Nowadays the £2.99-£5.99 ones I've got recently from Aldi and Lidl work fine (100% UV, non-slip bridges/temples etc) and look good too, according to the fashionistas. Oakleys might be fine for people with enough cash for £150+ not to be an issue, but most people aren't like that, and the differences are almost non-existent these days. Put the £150 I just saved you toward some better wheels  1

I put my £2.99 Aldi glasses vs. Oakleys in the same bucket as the £15.99 CREE XML T6 LED lights vs. £200+ brand-name ones in bike shops. Yes, you can pay a fortune for lights. Do they work better/brighter/longer? probably not. Technology and production evolves and trickles down. The materials used to make £2.99 glasses in China today are the same materials, and probably the same factory as the £150 Oakleys, but the people who spunked a fortune desperately want/need to *believe* they didn't waste their cash. Do your lenses need to be ballistic-grade and 99.999999% optically perfect? Not with my eyesight they don't, and I'm not planning on getting shot in the face either.

sneakerfrfeak | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not worth what they cost, but get them anyway, you won't be disappointed. I've had Briko and Rudy Project and much prefer Oakley, and let's be honest nothing else comes anywhere close on looks.

Ghostie | 10 years ago
0 likes

I still use for both running and cycling the same Oakleys I bought ten years ago. Yep, they were worth it to have lasted this long.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

To be totally honest. NO. Get some Endura Triggers. I can't see past them now, best I've ever owned

Stumps replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Get some Endura Triggers. I can't see past them now, best I've ever owned

Does that not defeat the purpose ? If you cant see past them  19  19  19

Pages

Latest Comments