Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sprinters Leaving the Giro

Just a reminder to all those competing in the game that many of the sprinters will be leaving the Giro now that the last sprint stage is over. It would probably be a good idea to hold off on transfers until we know which ones are hanging in there!

In an unwise move, I built my team for today so 4 of my 9 riders are sprinters. I just have to hope 1 or 2 of them stays in the Giro for a few more days so I can get points here and there.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

rcs500 | 12 years ago
0 likes

One thing to keep in mind when replacing your sprinter is the 5 points a rider can get if their team member wins the stage. For example, Sabatini is (as far as I know) still in the Giro. So if you have him in your squad and Nibaldi wins a stage, even a time trial, you could actually score with him.

Obviously picking greyed out riders leaves you with more credits elsewhere though.

rcs500 | 12 years ago
0 likes

One thing to keep in mind when replacing your sprinter is the 5 points a rider can get if their team member wins the stage. For example, Sabatini is (as far as I know) still in the Giro. So if you have him in your squad and Nibaldi wins a stage, even a time trial, you could actually score with him.

Obviously picking greyed out riders leaves you with more credits elsewhere though.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Get Dekkers in, unless you think one of the few sprinters left have a chance, get rid and place your credits elsewhere  4

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

I have a question about replacing my sprinter Ventoso, do I have to pick a sprinter who started the Giro or can I pick anyone? I know I can pick a greyed out rider, I just want to check if there's any limits on which.

It would make sense for me to be limited to only those who participated in the race but I'd obviously quite like to pick Hans Dekkers  4

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

Ventoso, Hondo, Cavendish, Petacchi, Kohler, Belletti, Renshaw and Appollonio are the riders who have binned it today. That, so far as I know, is the final list...

TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes

so pettachi has left, and likely to be removed from the points so i wont score any for that. But if scarponi wins for example, do i get 5 points for pettachi still?

dave atkinson replied to TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

so pettachi has left, and likely to be removed from the points so i wont score any for that. But if scarponi wins for example, do i get 5 points for pettachi still?

No - you only get team bonus for participating riders.

Timbo13 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Is it possible, even after I've completed my transfers, to see which riders (and sub-groups such as sprinters) are still in the race. I've only ever been able to access the current rider list through the Transfers tab

dave atkinson replied to Timbo13 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Timbo13 wrote:

Is it possible, even after I've completed my transfers, to see which riders (and sub-groups such as sprinters) are still in the race. I've only ever been able to access the current rider list through the Transfers tab

sounds like another job for dave's job list  1

dave atkinson replied to Timbo13 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Timbo13 wrote:

There's now a 'current riders' tab where you can see the, erm, current riders

Argy replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

Dave, Danilo Hondo has left, but on the current rider list! see: https://www.zweeler.com/giroDItalia/withdrawals

Thanks

John

Argy replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

Dave, Francisco José VENTOSO ALBERDI has also left! same as previous link where I got this info from.

Timbo13 replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:
Timbo13 wrote:

There's now a 'current riders' tab where you can see the, erm, current riders

Ta muchly!

0 likes

we'll go by the scoring on the official site: if petacchi is still listed in the points competition, he'll score points. if not, he won't. I'd expect him to be removed.

LabMonkey replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

we'll go by the scoring on the official site: if petacchi is still listed in the points competition, he'll score points. if not, he won't. I'd expect him to be removed.

Thanks Dave.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I don't know how it works, but i think we might see Le Mével in the red jersey today

I think when you leave you take your points with you, i.e. the giro are not going to give you a jersey that you could hold onto for a few days but not be racing

LabMonkey | 12 years ago
0 likes

Do sprinters who have left the Giro still score points... for example if they have enough (cumulative) points to leave them in the top five of the sprinters jersey?

James Warrener | 12 years ago
0 likes

It isnt great for my fantasy team, but a wise decision I reckon.

Swirly | 12 years ago
0 likes

Renshaw has said on Twitter he isn't starting tomorrow.

"I'm not starting tomorrows stage, time to take a small break and build up for Le Tour. Feel like an old man after this Giro ;-)"

0 likes

Tomorrow's stage is short with some big climbs, so it'll be a hard one for the sprinters anyway, even if petacchi starts he'll have to ride well to make the cut. and then there's two more massively tough stages. good luck to the ones that stay!

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Do these guys not know that there are more important things to work out that "my team wants pink" we need to know because we want points, lol

I will have to get in touch with the teams and explain its vital they inform us first of any withdrawls because we have a competition thats more important than any UCI race  4

rcs500 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Sorry for the comment spam, all. Just trying to help.

Here's some news on the issue from Petacchi, who is still debating whether he will start tomorrow or not:
"Tonight I will decide if I stay. I come to this Giro in good shape and I am looking ahead to the Tour as well,” he said. “The team will be fighting for the pink jersey and I want to be able to help, but there are so many mountains and there are no more sprints, so it will be difficult to make it to Milan. We’ll see.”

And it sounds like Robbie Hunter's Giro is done:
"It is what it is. It’s nice to change things around a little bit, but would be nice to maybe have a few more opportunities for the sprinters,” said RadioShack’s Robbie Hunter. “There is no final sprint in Milano, so it will be hard for the sprinters to have a reason to keep going.”

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Confirmation for Cav, but still listed in transfers

Just wondering, will we only find out tomorrow when its to late to make changes?

I only forgot to make changes for todays stage and dropped to only 68 points for the stage, dont wanna do that again

rcs500 replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Gkam, as you said, the riders might not get greyed out until it's too late to make transfers. I started this thread in the hopes that we can pool our collective knowledge and find out which sprinters won't be starting tomorrow ASAP.

Any contributions would be appreciated!

rcs500 | 12 years ago
0 likes

There's confirmation from Cavendish that he'll be leaving the Giro before tomorrow.

Graeme Brown, Robbie McEwen and Borut Bozic already abandoned before today's stage.

Latest Comments