Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

road.cc Strava interview - any questions folks?

Evening! We'll be talking to Strava's UK Director Simon Klima some time this week (via video call of course) about some big updates coming soon, and he's also agreed to take some questions from our readers. Anything under the Strava-related sun will be considered, so if you have queries or even suggestions that you'd like me to put to them, post them here and I'll pick some out. 

Cheers, hope everyone is staying fit and well. 

Jack 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

TheFatAndTheFurious | 4 years ago
0 likes

What revenue streams come from the actual data we upload, and what controls do they keep on that data? The revelations that came out of the Facebook/Cambridge Analytica affair demonstrate that, once the data is out the building, it can be used for anything and to hell with license restrictions.

I'm curious to know what uses - good and Orwellian - it is put to. 

ItsHuddo | 4 years ago
0 likes

Question for him: Do pro atheletes get paid to add their activities to Strava? Do Pro's get any other features that us mere mortals don't (other than a nice little badge).

What does he think of Veloviewer?

Can we add custom activity types? For instance I was doing skijoring (dog-assisted cross country skiing!) and dog sledding in Norway, and other similar activities such as dog-sledding. It would be great just to have 'custom activity' type so that we can add other things.

As for other features, I would love the ability to filter my feed. I have to delete lots of pro atheletes I would like to follow otherwise my feed is full of pros riding every day and I miss my mate's rides. Equally it would be cool to filter out commutes, indoor rides and limit rides to those that start in a geographical area.

Daveyraveygravey | 4 years ago
0 likes

Probably too late now, but why can't indoor cycling be separated from outdoor cycling?  If I am trying to ride 200km a week, with no facility for riding indoors, I don't want to compare myself to people who might ride the whole 200km indoors.  it is NOT the same!

fukawitribe replied to Daveyraveygravey | 4 years ago
1 like

Generally Strava does classify indoor (virtual) rides separately anyway, is there something specific this is about ? (I do agree with you about it not being the same, for the most part even the less strenuous indoor rides I do seem significantly more effort per km than their outside equivalent, e.g. there's really not any chance for free-wheeling).

peted76 | 4 years ago
1 like

I'd like to ask him whether they plan for any updates to their 'clubs' support?

The cycling community replies on Facebook (which not everyone is on) and emails (which we currently get a pitiful 60% open rate from via the British Cycling broadcast system - which is also woeful btw) for communication with club members, Strava is in a unique position as an almost universally used to help club communications, promote rides, give updates etc.. and yet it's nye on useless as it stands. I would pay for better 'club' functions or even a standalone club management app linking to strava. 

Do they have any 'big plans' in this area?

ItsHuddo replied to peted76 | 4 years ago
1 like

60% open rate is excellent. A number of mail clients (such as gmail) don't track opens anyway.

bertinol | 4 years ago
0 likes

I gather from the comments section in today's article on France banning cycling  that some French busybodies are scouring Strava to see who is still riding their bicycles and then sending them rude notes. And people wonder why I avoid social media ...

MUDAHIM | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'd like to be able to remove certain segments from a ride, like really short segments e.g. anything under a minute or 800m, or even better a combination like under a minute unless it has a gradient of >5%.

I'm only bothered about climbs or longer segemnts which mean something not having loads of segments where I might have done them in 17 or 18 seconds.  So if there was a choice of tick boxes with different criteria which you could exclude, that would be an improvement for me.

pruaga | 4 years ago
2 likes

There is a clever tool that lets you automatically tag a ride between two specified places as a commute (https://blog.strava.com/powered-by-strava-apps-12402/ and http://commutemarker.com/), so can you make an option to filter commutes out of strava feeds? 

I log my commutes, as do some of my friends, but I don't really want to see them every day and I'm sure other people don't care about mine either!

RobB2000 | 4 years ago
2 likes

Two things I would like to see...... for cyclists with an ebike can a simple check box be inserted on the upload page, probably adjacent to where you select your bike, checking this should generate a little lightening sign adjacent to all your strava segment times in the leaderboards generated from that ride.

The other thing is removal of silly times set by people ie. 40 mph plus up 20% hills. With the use of a simple algorithm and a ceiling of say 125%, taking into account gradient, length and time, anything over the ceiling is not registered. 

John Be | 4 years ago
0 likes

Rouvy, and I assume other training apps, allow riders to train in 'assisted' mode, in which it is possible to inflate your performance by > 300%. Rouvy recognises that this should not be used in leader boards, and consequently prevent these rides from being seen by other riders. Strava however, do not check if uploaded virtual rides are of this type, and consequently they are skewing Strava leader boards.

However they should not be hard to detect because there is a mismatch between watts and performance and I  would have thought that developing an algorithm would be reasonably straight forward.

As we will all be spending more time on our smart trainers during the present crisis, this issue will become even more important.

Kapelmuur | 4 years ago
0 likes

I will be getting an e assist road bike soon (I hope!) to help me up the steeper climbs.

I would want to mark the assisted segments appropriately as I do not wish to fool myself or others that I have suddenly discovered climbing legs in my 70s.

Most of my ride will be unassisted so I don't want to recorded the whole thing as an e bike ride.

John Be replied to Kapelmuur | 4 years ago
1 like

I know what you mean, but arguably, if you are assisted on the climbs,  you will be fresher on the flat, so logging the whole ride as an ebike would be a fairer option.

mdavidford replied to John Be | 4 years ago
2 likes

John Be wrote:

I know what you mean, but arguably, if you are assisted on the climbs,  you will be fresher on the flat, so logging the whole ride as an ebike would be a fairer option.

Arguably, if you started your ride just before the segment, you'll be a lot fresher than someone who did 100 miles before arriving there, so the whole 'leaderboard' thing is a bit meaningless anyway.

Kapelmuur replied to John Be | 4 years ago
1 like

But I'd be lugging 4kgs if battery and motor as a handicap.

EddyBerckx | 4 years ago
0 likes

On top of some of the other suggestions, I'd like the web and app features to be better aligned. Some data and options you can only get on the web and not the app and vice versa. Also...some of the stats between the two don't always line up.

Maybe a configurable private messaging option to make it a proper social network?

Seventyone | 4 years ago
1 like

I love Strava in general. Here is what I would like to make it better still:

Let relive do their thing again: it was great!

Introduce new features that would convince me to subscribe. I don't think there has been anything new for ages.

Better removal of cheaters

More and more varied challenges

Better when you do an activity such as getting to work, then forget to stop your watch, the do another and strava thinks you have been running for 14 hours so you have to delete the activity

The idea about making a segment into a route is also good

jollygoodvelo replied to Seventyone | 4 years ago
1 like

The recent update makes it much easier to trim a route that you forgot to stop  1

Organon | 4 years ago
2 likes

Allow people to nominate shitty segment to delete, or delete those not ridden in two years.

Award a Mayor for the most frequent rider on a segment, speed isn't the only metric.

But tell them to keep up the recent turn around. They seem to have learned that taking.features away and breaking things isn't the best growth plan.

Oh and let me turn a segment into a route.

Cheers me duck.

werics replied to Organon | 4 years ago
0 likes

You can hide anything. What's the use of actually deleting them?

Latest Comments