Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

New website?

Apologies if this has long since been covered:

Opened up road.cc and it's all changed! 

It's all working well for me, except when I log in I seem to transform into username 'hawkinspeter' - or at least that's what it's showing in the top right corner!

This is tom_w, in case this message gets posted as 'hawkinspeter'!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

53 comments

dave atkinson | 4 years ago
2 likes

everyone should be themselves now, let me know if you're not  1

Compact Corned Beef | 4 years ago
0 likes

I am AlsoSomniloquism today.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Compact Corned Beef | 4 years ago
0 likes

And I'm you.... yay. 

gibbon | 4 years ago
1 like

Claps slowly.Gets up. Leaves room.

peted76 | 4 years ago
1 like

Wow this is all a bit different! 

I'm liking it a lot so far, well done team I know this has been a long time planning!

bike_food | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'm showing as HarrogateSpa when logged in (assuming this is meant to be a username?)
Also a second level menu to allow selection of a forum would be nice, maybe just show the 2 popular ones, would save a scroll and click.

dave atkinson replied to bike_food | 4 years ago
0 likes

seems to be a caching issue, on it! obviously i was the only person logged in when i was testing it  1

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

Looks like the username on the top right is the name of the last commenter and is a link to the last commented article.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

Yeah, I'm getting that too.

hawkinspeter replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

And me!

Liam Cahill | 4 years ago
0 likes

It is indeed all shiny and new. There might be some teething issues so please do let us know if you spot anything amiss. Screenshots and URLs really help.

alotronic replied to Liam Cahill | 4 years ago
0 likes

Properly responsive  1

bikeman01 replied to alotronic | 4 years ago
0 likes

New site doesn't work on my Fire HD tablet. Most of the page content is missing or just shown by placeholder icons.

There's no touch swipe for any of the carousels - videos, comments etc so I can't get to content.

It's pretty much unusable which is a shame as it was my preferred site to browse when on the loo.

Awavey replied to Liam Cahill | 4 years ago
0 likes
Liam Cahill wrote:

It is indeed all shiny and new. There might be some teething issues so please do let us know if you spot anything amiss. Screenshots and URLs really help.

Like the ordering of comments in the New Forest crossroads article now appears completely random you mean, stuff like that ?

Tony Farrelly replied to Awavey | 4 years ago
0 likes

Comments are now threaded so that if you reply to a particularl comment your reply appears below the comment - the way Facebook does it - something that's been asked for a lot in user surveys. Also we've switched to displaying the newest comment first as the default setting - I quite liked having it oldest first so you could see the discussion/argument develop, but I was in a minority and to be fair it is the way that nearly every other website does it and you can switch back to the old way easily enough.

hawkinspeter replied to Tony Farrelly | 4 years ago
0 likes

There's only one level of indenting for replies to replies - is that intentional?

(I'm with you on the "oldest first" option, but it's easy enough to use the drop down)

fukawitribe replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

(I'm with you on the "oldest first" option, but it's easy enough to use the drop down)

Ahhhh.. hadn't seen the drop down as there appears to be a bug with it. Refresh page and the text is invisible, but if you click where the combo-box should be - and then choose a different ordering than the current one - it will reappear (until the page is refreshed again anyway - Chrome 79.0.3945.130) 

Awavey replied to fukawitribe | 4 years ago
0 likes

not on any of the browsers Ive tried, latest version of Firefox, latest version of Edge, chrome on mobile, the little box appears does a little think about it and then absolutely nothing changes.

peted76 replied to Tony Farrelly | 4 years ago
1 like

I'm with you on that Tony, I like to read how conversations develop not jump in midway.

However.. loving the 'replies' so.. maybe it's a moot point.

Awavey replied to peted76 | 4 years ago
0 likes
peted76 wrote:

I'm with you on that Tony, I like to read how conversations develop not jump in midway.

But that's exactly what you are getting with new posts appearing at the top but new replies to existing comments might appear top,mid,bottom or anywhere in between,depending on when the original was posted so you have to scan all the comments,which if it turns into a 3-4pager as some of them do will be a complete PITA,and none of the conversations will flow,you'll be seeing someone not replying with a quote replying to something you've not read yet

Mungecrundle replied to Liam Cahill | 4 years ago
1 like

How do you upload pictures?

No comment thread is complete without some squirrel related imagery.

Also - not to disparage the excellent content that the editorial team have slaved over but the user comments are now far less prominent and they are generally more interesting from the controversy and bitch slapping contest point of view.

Oh, and apparently in the top right, I am now HarrogateSpa, which I will take as a promotion.

hawkinspeter replied to Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
1 like

Like this:

,;;:;,
   ;;;;;
  ,:;;:;    ,'=.
  ;:;:;' .=" ,'_\
  ':;:;,/  ,__:=@
   ';;:;  =./)_
     `"=\_  )_"`
          ``'"`

dave atkinson replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

Gifs made a comeback, maybe ascii art is next?

seriously though, comment images are on the list. 

Pages

Latest Comments