Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Overshoes for commute

evening all

my winter boots died the other year and I rode though last winter with overshoes. I don’t mind that and would normally buy new boots. I’m trying to move house and cash is tight at the moment. My problem is that when commuting my overshoes seem to die really quickly. Within a couple of weeks I have a hole under my left toes. 

Can anyone one recommend a pair of overshoes that might make it through a winters commute?

cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

matthewn5 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Had some basic black Endura neoprene ones that lasted about 7 years but I only used them if it was really raining, not in drizzle.

Now I have some lightweight Craft overshoes that are absolutely brilliant, these:

https://www.craftsportswear.com/B2C%20-%20Craft/all-products-7a58fca3/cl...

They're a looser fit, and a lighter material, and I've found them much better, easier to get on and off, if not quite as totally watertight as the neoprene ones.

Spangly Shiny | 4 years ago
0 likes

A wet suit repair kit comes in useful if you have neoprene overshoes or gloves for that matter. Filthy stuff to use but the results are adequate. Here's the one I use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stormsure-Neoprene-Wetsuit-Repair-patches/dp/B0...

nniff | 4 years ago
1 like

BBB Heavy duty overshoes - size 43-44 for size 45 shoes and a snug fit

BrokenBootneck | 4 years ago
0 likes

i’ve moved jobs and have less traffic lights to deal with so hopefully it will be less of an issue. I have patched up various pairs in various ways. Even using old overshoes to reinforce the new ones. I have also duct taped my winter shoes like a mythbusters style challenge before too. 

Cheers for the advice. 

cougie | 4 years ago
0 likes

I use the cheap Planet X ones. They seem to last well.  

If you put your foot down a lot - couldnt you put some tape or something over that bit to take some of the wear ?  A hole in the bottom of the shoe shouldnt be game over. 

mrmusette | 4 years ago
0 likes

The GripGrab ones are great, the "Ride Winter" ones are particularly good, super warm and they have a big velcro flap at the back, (their newer ones don't have velcro or a zip, you just pull them on) this is much better as I've used various other brands in previous winters and it's always the zip that fails. These are the first pair of overshoes I've owned that will actually be doing a second consecutive season, have tried castelli, endura & dhb in the past.

Scoob_84 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Being a brand snob, i used to only use Castelli or Sportful neoprene overshoes for winter commuting, buying them when in sale for around £25, and i'll usually get a single winters worth of use out of them until the underside get ripped to shreds (from walking around on with mountain bike type shoes)

But my last pair are DHB and i'm going into my 3rd winter on them. They're a bit toucher and perform just as well as the branded shoes. 

nniff | 4 years ago
0 likes

BBB heavy duty overshoes for me.  Plus a tube of McNett Seamgrip.  Fit the overshoes to your shoes and cover the wear points with Seamgrip - lasts for ages.  Patch any holes subsequently as necessary, with a few stitches to hold it togther initially if needed.  Takes 24 hours to cure properly, but overnight next to the boiler is close enough usually.  Reinforce them with Seamgrip before you wear them.  My first pair did several winters of daily commuting (I commute into London, so loads of traffic lights and putting my left foot down).  They were the fluo green ones, which was probably a mistake as they soon looked minging.  Black hides the grime a lot better.

The sizing is off though - I haven't got mine with me so I can't check which way.  If I remember this evening.....

Tredz or Wiggle

After all the rain this month I now have the answer to dry feet - sealskins/altura waterproof socks with masking tape to seal the top, and then a pair of these overshoes.  Gaffer tape seems like overkill and probably a bad day out when it comes to removal........

bike_food | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have a pair of these from caratti, very tough, 

BrokenBootneck replied to bike_food | 4 years ago
0 likes

bike_food wrote:

I have a pair of these from caratti, very tough, 

they were only a tenner, will give em a whirl. 

Latest Comments