Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Orbea Gain review

An Orbea Gain M30 - that’s carbon with a 105 group-set. I’m impressed.

I am a little fitter than the average 65 year old but have never been an athlete. I’m 174cm and 76Kg. I ride because I like being out on my bike, I’m usually alone and I’m not interested in speed or competition. A typical ride would be 30km with 400m of elevation in a couple of hours on single lane tarmac in farming country here in the far north east of Scotland. 

I bought the Gain because I was finding the constant high winds were pushing me into 26/34 on the flat and making me feel old and knackered. Stomping the hills out of the saddle is but a memory.

Riding the Gain with the power off feels much like riding my old Dawes Galaxy tourer. It's comfortable, competent but not sporty. Using the first level of power it still feels like an unassisted  bike but the headwinds vanish and long gradual hills seem like they are flat. It feels more like the old Specialized Epic I have ridden for years. 

The ebikemotion app shows the power used as 5-10% at the first level and the battery drain probably supports that. When I do find a hill, we have plenty of short ones of 15-25% around here, then hitting the highest assistance level means I can go up them with a few gear cogs to spare. I have to work, but it’s still like riding a bike. Other e-bikes I have ridden are more like mopeds. If thats what you want then frankly for the money a 125cc motor bike is a much better deal! 

So far I’m unimpressed with the ebikemotion app, changing the power profile for each level did not appear to have any affect. The navigation is a basic sat nav but I use an app called View ranger with OS maps and always know exactly where I am. It can track a ride with elevation, time etc and OS maps are the best. Switching from Ebikemotion to another app closes it and I had to reload the bike every time when I reopened it. I would use it to show remaining battery especially as the single button control on the Orbea is not ideal. Using the button, which is on the top tube, you cycle through the modes to get the level you want, it’s a pain, you need to think ahead and you do take your eyes off the road. However you get used to it and it’s the way of all things electronic nowadays, oh for a rotating switch.

My typical ride 2 hour ride uses 15% of the battery. Using the highest assistance rapidly discharges it. I think you could do a 100km/1000m ride and still have enough juice to turn it up when your tired 10km from home after running at the first level for most of the ride.

I have fitted the bike with flat pedals, pump, bomb proof tyres and slime tubes, phone mount, mudguards, old farts saddle and seat bag, it now weighs 12.5 KG

I see a lot of forum posts complaining about the 25km/hr limit. If you can still maintain 25km/hr then why do you want an e-bike? It’s never going to be as pure a ride as an unassisted bike. You would also need a bigger battery so it would be much heavier.

The only drawback for me is the crazy price, I’m lucky I can afford it. It should keep me motivated to get out as I get older.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

alansmurphy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Shades, that's what i was testing it for - only a 15 mile commute each way but it was makingme fall out of love with cycling. My thoughts were that if i was buying a commuter bike then I should look for the things i need for that - and perhaps open up new opportunities.

Decided on the Cube Acid mountain bike as the tyres and wheels make winter manageable, fitted an pannier rack to carry all and sundry and I sit and chill into and out of work. I couldn't possibly comment on de-restricting it but it's the best £100 I've spent.

If it's a glorious day I get the road bike out, otherwise I commute happily...

wknight | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have the Orbea Gain Di2 version and I am very pleased with it. 

Recently did a 44 mile around a very hilly Yorkshire. I only used the motor on the steep hills and then usually in the lowest mode as that was enough to get me up the hill and I am by no means a fit cyclist, and had 85% battery remaining. 

Once you get the hang of the button on the top its great. 

Weight wise its very good for a road bike and I love the look, who knows its a ebike. 

The app is awful and I gave up with it and just use my Garmin to track the route. 

Would I recommend it, definitely, its helping me get back to riding my nice road bike without electrics in 2020, thank you Orbea for a great bike, even if it was a long wait

Shades | 4 years ago
0 likes

It's good to have a review of an e bike by a regular cyclist so the rest of us can get an idea where they might fit into our 'velo-life'.  Wouldn't mind an e bike to reduce time and 'take the heat' out of (long) weekly commuting so I had more energy for longer weekend rides.

alansmurphy | 4 years ago
0 likes

I extensively test rode one and can see the plus and minus of these. On a downhill it's fine to have the extra weight and on steep hills it is a god send. My thoughts were that on a mildly undulating ride that it felt more like you were lugging around a heavy bike rather than benefitting from an e-bike (this was one with a rear wheel hub motor). Changing that 15.5mph to 20mph, even 18.5 would make a huge difference.

I decided that for commuting, I'd be etter with a bomb proof heavier mtb rather than a racier number...

Oldfatgit | 4 years ago
1 like

Thank you for this, I've been looking a Gain or a Ribble - but what I've read about the control on the top tube puts me off. I know its not something that you constantly have to play with

It's good to see that after a 2 hour ride you still have plenty of power left - I'd be looking at trying to get 60 or so miles out a battery on a club ride.

I'm looking at the Fauza powered Paralane2, but that'll be depending on a test ride .... If I don't like it then I might join the Gain club  1

amazon22 replied to Oldfatgit | 4 years ago
0 likes

Oldfatgit wrote:

Thank you for this, I've been looking a Gain or a Ribble - but what I've read about the control on the top tube puts me off. I know its not something that you constantly have to play with

It's good to see that after a 2 hour ride you still have plenty of power left - I'd be looking at trying to get 60 or so miles out a battery on a club ride.

I'm looking at the Fauza powered Paralane2, but that'll be depending on a test ride .... If I don't like it then I might join the Gain club  1

Guy Kesteven does a very good two part review of the Paralane2 on youtube - if I was going down the e-bike route (and I've considered it), that would be my choice, I think the Fazua set up looks extremely well engineererd and I like the option of being able to drop the battery and motor out and have a 'normal' bike. I also prefer the bottom bracket drive to give me the option of alternative wheels. They've now replaced the butt ugly handlebar controller with a much neater touch sensitive switch in the downtube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfx1zlnV4i8

Latest Comments