Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon Frame chipped by chain.. thoughts?

Hey guys! 

No clue where I'd ask a question like this, so here we go:

My carbon frame has been chipped from the chain dropping hard on the inside, most likely from an accidental static gear change. I've noticed it for maybe about 2 weeks of riding but only have seen the entirety of it today while I was greasing and cleaning the bike. 

Here is an imgur album of the images I've taken of the chip I'm worried about.

https://imgur.com/a/OR71pdI

** To note: the cut is much cleaner to the naked eye, for some reason some of the pictures kind of make it look "fuzzy" or hairy or whatever. You'll see what I mean.

What are your thoughts? Is this something still safe to ride, considering the bottom bracket area handles a lot of force? Is this something I will need/can take to a local carbon repairer and not have to worry about?

Or is this something I can just apply nail polish to and re-cover it with helicopter tape and put it towards the back of my mind?

Thanks for your thoughts, folks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

36 comments

shutuplegz | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hirsute | 4 years ago
2 likes

Great stuff guys

bogbrush

Nick T | 4 years ago
0 likes

Anyway, your frame is more than likely completely fine OP, I've done the same thing with dropped chains and the carbon in that area is very thick. I wouldn't put any helicopter tape or anything like that to cover it up, it'll bulk it out and another dropped chain will likely get more stuck than before

Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
1 like

Ahem:

https://twitter.com/jacquelucque

Jack Luke, assistant editor of BikeRadar.  Not saying anything about the rest but the man seems to exist.

Rapha Nadal replied to Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
1 like

Xenophon2 wrote:

Ahem:

https://twitter.com/jacquelucque

Jack Luke, assistant editor of BikeRadar.  Not saying anything about the rest but the man seems to exist.

Nobody is denying he exists though, only that he doesn't work at or for road.cc

Nick T | 4 years ago
0 likes

Self lubricating chains are nothing new, motorbike chains have been for years. they're heavy though, lot more parts required

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

And they have mentioned a self lubricating chain that is rather interesting too.

Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
1 like

Ok, ok...don't want to get involved in the entire discussion and I don't know Xena nor have I ever seen one of those bikes, but what I will say he/she knows something about light components:  the stuff mentioned actually exists and in an earlier post he/she mentioned by name an employee of Ax-lightness whom I also happen to know and who doesn't suffer fools gladly.  That's a German company that produce some seriously light, high quality kit (spinoff from race cars/aerospace components, the boss is a cycling fanatic).  Scorchingly expensive too.  I ride one of their saddles that weighs in at 92 real grams and it's comfy too, the lightest one they produce is around 65 grams if memory serves.  They don't care about the UCI and their silly rules, by the way.

The Gavalier | 4 years ago
1 like

Xena and her freind (sic) ED...

matthewn5 | 4 years ago
0 likes

This looks like an crack, heading down to the left from 8 o'clock on the large chip, caused by the chain crushing the frame member:

//i.imgur.com/1aVdlKM.jpg)

Might be worth having the frame looked at by someone who can test the integrity of the carbon.

If it's ok I'd be tempted just to cover it with helicopter tape and cycle on.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
5 likes
Liam Cahill | 4 years ago
5 likes
purplecup | 4 years ago
2 likes
purplecup | 4 years ago
3 likes
Accessibility f... | 4 years ago
1 like

Ignoring all the silly dick-swinging above from multiple users, in answer to the OP's question, that kind of damage wouldn't worry me at all.  There's usually a fair bit of material down at the bottom bracket and a tiny little nick like that won't do anything.  And even if it does, the area will crack long before it fails completely.

Xena | 4 years ago
0 likes

It’s amazing how ignorant people can be . Emotions and prejudice over truth . You see it in the world all the time if your smart enough and have the ability to critically think which it seems very few of you do .  “ very few of you do “ that is not me having a go at you , I’m just pointing out something true .   Carbon is a lot tougher than you think it is . It depends a lot on the way it is layed and the type of carbon used . Like a lot of things it has to be fit for purpose. 

I have on both my bikes  ( one on each ) a plastic jockey wheel made by AFC . This jockey wheel weighs 2 grams ,i kid you not . It’s been on both my bikes for years without issue . It’s used on the lower part of the cage because that’s were it works best “ 2 grams”  I also have one smud carbon bottle cage that weighs just over 3 grams . I have never lost a bottle and it works perfect . On the cervelo i have a tune carbon Kevlar cage that weighs 4 grams and again works perfect . 

My point is that I think for myself , most posters on this site would say “ that 2 grm jockey wheel is going to last about a minute and break “  and yet they have been on both my bikes without issue for nearly ten years. If you do your research etc you will be surprised  ( I wouldn’t) how much bullshit manufacturers and so called experts tell you .  Just go ride your bike . You want to ride faster ,then ride faster train harder , keep it simple or you can spend a shit load of money on this jockey wheel that spins for ever or this computerised pedal system etc  Electronic shifting  ,13 speed ,14 speed whatever but none of that will make you faster or better only you can do that be it a sub 4 kilo bike or a heavy old steel beast ,it’s all good 

cougie replied to Xena | 4 years ago
1 like

Xena wrote:

I have on both my bikes  ( one on each ) a plastic jockey wheel made by AFC . This jockey wheel weighs 2 grams ,i kid you not . It’s been on both my bikes for years without issue . It’s used on the lower part of the cage because that’s were it works best “ 2 grams”  I also have one smud carbon bottle cage that weighs just over 3 grams . I have never lost a bottle and it works perfect . On the cervelo i have a tune carbon Kevlar cage that weighs 4 grams and again works perfect . 

I have no idea what my jockey wheel weighs but I'm not convinced you're saving any time given that you're built like a brick privvy.

Come on Road.CC give us this article - Sub 4kg bikes ? Yes please !

Nick T | 4 years ago
3 likes

Tell me more about these super light custom bikes of yours user xena, I've only read the same post in about 30 times in different, vaguely related threads

Xena replied to Nick T | 4 years ago
0 likes

Nick T wrote:

Tell me more about these super light custom bikes of yours user xena, I've only read the same post in about 30 times in different, vaguely related threads

If you contact Jack Luke one of the road cc staff reporters . Ask him to send you a copy of the video I made of my sub 4 guru ,I’m fine with that. Or if a few other posters  want to see my bike then contact him ,ask him to put the video up on the site . I’m surprised he didn’t . I just don’t have the time to do a feature on my bikes right now . Maybe in the future. 

Or if you can PM me somehow , ask road cc for my email I’d be ok  ( show them this post )with that and I will send you a load of photos of both my bikes . 

dave atkinson replied to Xena | 4 years ago
7 likes
Xena wrote:

If you contact Jack Luke one of the road cc staff reporters

You might be thinking of a different website*

*you're thinking of a different website

Rapha Nadal replied to dave atkinson | 4 years ago
1 like

dave atkinson wrote:
Xena wrote:

If you contact Jack Luke one of the road cc staff reporters

You might be thinking of a different website* *you're thinking of a different website

Xena, are you there?  I'm keen to read this road.cc article.

DoctorFish | 4 years ago
3 likes

Bloody hell guys, the op only asked a simple question.

srchar | 4 years ago
9 likes

Xena: Keyboard warrior princess.

Xena replied to srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

srchar wrote:

Just like you . 

srchar replied to Xena | 4 years ago
2 likes

Xena wrote:

srchar wrote:

Just like you . 

No, I just dropped by to make fun of this ludicrous thread. Have you sold your secrets to any big name manufacturers or are you holding out for more money?

fenix | 4 years ago
1 like

Paint chips. I'd ride that no problem at all.

CF is tough.

vonhelmet | 4 years ago
5 likes

Could have written that profile on your custom bike in the time it took to churn out that screed.

Xena | 4 years ago
2 likes

I have 2 sub 4 kilo carbon bikes and tune a lot of parts out myself and have a custom carbon parts made .  I have sanded the paint off of 3 frames down to the raw carbon  and cut and tuned carbon parts  with no issues . 

Its very difficult to tell from the photo .  You can do a tap test . Use a coin and gently tap the area and see if there is any notable difference this does work . It’s not bro science.

ideally you should sandpaper the area so you can see what’s going on . 

I stripped the paint off of all my bikes down to the raw carbon .   Even if some of the carbon has flaked at the top it could still be fine ,especially as it’s around the bb area it’s usually built up a bit more.  If a little bit of carbon has flaked just sand it down smooth . If you spot a definitive crack and you squeeze it and you can see it move then you need to get it fixed . London carbon repairs are brilliant if you need to go that route. 

When  I stripped my carbon trek I took off strips of carbon and the bike was absolutely fine . My hunch looking at the photos is that your ok . 

Welsh boy replied to Xena | 4 years ago
1 like

Xena wrote:

I have 2 sub 4 kilo carbon bikes and tune a lot of parts out myself and have a custom carbon parts made .  I have sanded the paint off of 3 frames down to the raw carbon  and cut and tuned carbon parts  with no issues . 

Its very difficult to tell from the photo .  You can do a tap test . Use a coin and gently tap the area and see if there is any notable difference this does work . It’s not bro science.

I stripped the paint off of all my bikes down to the raw carbon .   Even if some of the carbon has flaked at the top it could still be fine ,especially as it’s around the bb area it’s usually built up a bit more.  If a little bit of carbon has flaked just sand it down smooth . If you spot a definitive crack and you squeeze it and you can see it move then you need to get it fixed . London carbon repairs are brilliant if you need to go that route. 

When  I stripped my carbon trek I took off strips of carbon and the bike was absolutely fine . My hunch looking at the photos is that your ok . 

This does not sound like advice from someone who I would like to risk my life with.  Sanding strips of carbon off a frame then claiming that it was absolutely fine" sounds like someone who doesnt really know what they are on about.  How do you know it was fine?  Do you think you can make a better frame that Trek by rubbing it down with sandpaper?

I think this should be regarding as a comment from a nut case rather than good, sound advice on how to check if a component is safe for use.

Xena replied to Welsh boy | 4 years ago
2 likes

Welsh boy wrote:

Xena wrote:

This does not sound like advice from someone who I would like to risk my life with.  Sanding strips of carbon off a frame then claiming that it was absolutely fine" sounds like someone who doesnt really know what they are on about.  How do you know it was fine?  Do you think you can make a better frame that Trek by rubbing it down with sandpaper?

I think this should be regarding as a comment from a nut case rather than good, sound advice on how to check if a component is safe for use.

I’ll tell you how I know it was fine

because I’ve been riding the bike for 10 fucking years without a issue .

secondly ,I could see how the fibres were layered so I knew that it was safe  i.e.    i know what I’m doing, I’m have enough experience tuning out parts making parts and customising carbon parts .My Freind ED owns tsubasa bikes and owns London carbon repairs. If I’m not sure about something I ask him . 

So let’s recap shall we a few top layers of carbon we’re stripped off my trek frame . It had no effect on the integrity of the frame , I rode the frame for over ten years up and down some well known french cols as well and not one issue . 

I have built  3 ,,,,,4 sub kilo racing bikes using high end components , ax lightness, THM  etc etc  and have custom seat post and bar stem combos ( carbon)  made , I tune out the carbon shifters and mechs etc .

I have been doing this for a long time .  It’s a area where I have experience , road cc asked to do a profile on my sub 4 kilo custom guru .  I’m to busy .   

Listen , you don’t  have to take my advice .I don’t a give fuck .  I’m riding the sub 4 kilo bikes ,I’ve rode them all over the world ,not one fucking issue with any of the parts I have made or customised.  I have just stripped down a cervelo frame size 54cm and got it sub 700 gram and it’s a fucking awesome bike to ride .  I’m not a lightweight neither. I lift weights most days ( used to be a bodybuilder)  I have a muscular upper body and lower body, im not a skinny armed sky fan boy ,so these bikes  take a hammering , I’m quite fucking intense when I’m out riding / training . I do a lot short high intensity hill climbs etc for around a hour ,hour and a half , 4 , 5 times a week .  These parts hold up great including my FUCKING TREK for ten years so you are completely wrong.

i know most posters don’t like me and to them i say  I don’t give a fuck buts at least  you get honesty and truth and not the same old safe boring posts that are posted day out . Big up to you all out there and just go ride your fucking bikes and have fun and stop trying to get one up on people . Emotions are not always the truth.  

Pages

Latest Comments