Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

October cycling challenge

To assist children with Cancer is a fund raising cycling event during October (Australia).

I'm dumb. E-mail reads can manually input kms, homepage doesn't allow such without username password.. Hence I'll clock about 1500km but record zero.

Not as dumb as others that live near work and drive.
Seriously, even if just riding during nice weather you'll be winning.
I figure now that I'm with a bike, lights, pump and tube a budget of $2 weekly should probably cover the upkeep of that transport unit. Maybe stretch it to $5 and surplus.
Reduces plastic air emissions from not using a petroleum engine and feels great.
$5 a week easily covers all my bikes because only 1 is wear and tear on a moment.
What's a fiver? Less than a metro fare; 50km worth of petrol on a fuel efficient car, 3 or 4 cigarettes.
I prefer my uncles idea of a fiver. In UK he bought a house on leased land. Yet the lease is 500 years at 1 penny a year. Lol, that's a fiver, makes riding bicycles look expensive.

Reducing emissions reduces childhood Cancer. I can't proof, but that's my belief.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

Adelaide seems well planned.
640+ km of smooth road bike lanes and bike paths.
Being located on plains between beach and range the planners look like they've included the bike lanes on the gentle slopes. Excluding range climbing, 39-23 bog cog doing ok.
Thanks to the street planners it's pretty easy to learn climbs of preferred grades then surf face on shallow descents to cross city with. Like an angle.  1 lol.
Get on a bike.. Less pollution benefits children recovering with Cancer and it's way funner than driving.
'Good Job Cant ', no thanks. Too steep bro. I've had a fully loaded semi doing wheel spins up the dry side of the range, took the new road down. Glad you guys are strong enough.

Stoked. Averaging over 20kmph uphill. Hoping she don't buckle, about 1mm clearance on each stay but super comfortable 32mm commuters

I don't want to lead anyone astray. 39-23 sucks a bit. I think we learn faster going slower and spinning. I'm stuck with those ratios the next few years but something like a 50/34 chain wheel torquing a 11-32 cassette would suit many more roads.
Stay upright, have a good month

Boatsie | 4 years ago
1 like

I use 'ride with GPS' app. Usually I don't bother using it but I like the 3D map it provides and when I have the battery I map a ride to use later. Weather's improving, I use a couple of single speed bikes; a fixed track bike and a 24inch bmx in nice weather. The 3D mapping was really useful because our city is laid on a 20km wide plain between a range and a beach thus the maps help me surf that range. On the fixie is a few extra km to stretch a climb that becomes a fairly constant 25km gentle descent. Bmx easier, climb until step off and walk it up. Lol.
Lots of time it's easier to leave the phone at home and unfortunately I'm dumb to understand manual input of kms.

I love summer, last year I'd ride 50km around midnight and average a gutter found tool every 2 weeks. Rachet spanner, ball hammer, Allen key, I did alright.  1
Thanks.
Wishing you warm rides too.

Simon E | 4 years ago
0 likes

Do you mean this?

https://greatcyclechallenge.com.au/

It says you can use their app or log rides via Strava or MapMyRide. While many people are motivated with the aid of these apps or continue a challenge when they might otherwise drop out, the important thing is that you're doing it. Not only are you making the air cleaner and the roads safer but you may even prompt others to do the same.

If you keep a log of your rides then you will know how much you've done. Let us know how you get on.

I still use a simple VDO cycle computer with wheel sensor that gives me time and distance. Sometimes I'd like to know elevation and even put some rides on strava but I don't think anyone would be interested so it seems a bit pointless.

Jetmans Dad replied to Simon E | 4 years ago
1 like
Simon E wrote:

Do you mean this?

https://greatcyclechallenge.com.au/

I still use a simple VDO cycle computer with wheel sensor that gives me time and distance. Sometimes I'd like to know elevation and even put some rides on strava but I don't think anyone would be interested so it seems a bit pointless.

My rides all go on Strava but I am under no illusions that anyone else is interested in them. They are there for me to have a record and see some progress over time.

Latest Comments