Why go for a Gravel Bike? +Bike to Work Scheme.

Due to a recent repair needed on my road bike I have been riding my backup road bike which is pretty much worn out. It is stuck in a mid gear and many other creaks and groans. It is only fit to commute to work and the shops. 

I think it would take more than a few hundred pounds in parts and labour to repair.  And after wrestling with the prospect of living with several zombie bikes in my living room I thought it is now time for a new backup just in case something happens to my No.1 again. I've though about an off-road bike, which would also be hard wearing for the winter commute.

What should I be looking for in a good Gravel Bike under £1000 (Bike to Work scheme.) What frame material/gearing do you recommend. I've also never had disc brakes and am not sure ho hard they are to maintain. BASICALLY, Why should I go for a Gravel Bike? And what would set it apart from a CX bike for example?

Also has anyone else done the Bike to Work scheme? What is the best option you found for the 'end of scheme' payment? It is almost like you are hiring the bike (I hope it lasts as long as it takes to pay for.)

cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments