Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Crash injury - Anterior Clavicle (slight) Dislocation

Came off this week; lost the front wheel in the wet on a tight turn off a bike path.  Nicely bruised hip, some decent elbow roadrash and a very slight (my non-medical assessment) collarbone 'dislocation' (forwards) at the sternum end.  Bit tender, isn't stopping me doing anything (I cycled to work the next day), there's a slight (visible) lump there (compared to the other side) and I haven't taken any painkillers.  I'm inclined to say a Doctor would just say to take it easy and it'll sort itself out, which would be a bit of a wasted journey.  It's just had a damn good 'wrench' in the wipeout.  Anyone experienced anything similar?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

peterben | 4 years ago
0 likes

It sounds very much like a subluxation of the sternoclavicular joint. It will not fix itself and will remain unstable, eventually causing pain at the other end of the clavicle and shoulder joint generally. I have treated the consequences of a few of these that have not been repaired. Surgery is the answer, someone like Mr Simon Lambert at UCLH does them and is very good but not many surgeons do because there is rather alot of sensitive stuff in the area. Try and get a referral to him under the "choose and book" system. If you don't live far from London of course.

Shav | 4 years ago
1 like

You must get this looked at by a doctor. Injuries to the Sternum can be dangerous. I was knocked off my bike by a car in March and landed on my shoulder. 

I thought I had dislocated my collar bone so went to my local A&E. They took a CT scan and then I was off to St Georges Major Trauma Unit in an ambulance as I had fractured the Manubrium (top of Sternum which is close to the Heart and Aorta).

Spent three nights in St Georges before they discharged me and I had a brace on whilst it healed.

Don't want to overly alarm you but you really need it looked at.

Butty | 4 years ago
1 like

My sore collarbone after a race crash turned out to be a fracture when I went to the hospital 2 days after when a massive bruise apeared under a pec. Not all breaks have you writhing around in agony. 

Get it checked out in case it moves and does more damage.

Mathemagician | 4 years ago
3 likes

My advice would be don't ask random people on the internet for medical advice.

Shades replied to Mathemagician | 4 years ago
2 likes

Mathemagician wrote:

My advice would be don't ask random people on the internet for medical advice.

I'm not.  The question was 'has anyone experienced anything similar'.  Bit of 'asking around' doesn't do any harm.  I've got a GP appt next week, but that's just one doctor, so doing some research in advance in order to ask the right questions seems sensible. 

Daveyraveygravey | 4 years ago
0 likes

Definitely get it looked at.  I broke my scapula last August, and although the bone healed, my left arm is pretty feeble still.  It feels like a knot in the bicep, I don't know if this was un-diagnosed at the time, or maybe in my injured and feeling sorry for myself state, I didn't realise it was in addition to the bone injury.

lllnorrislll | 4 years ago
0 likes

Could be an acj injury, depending on severity will depend on treatment, often if lower grade, it'll be a case of rest and pain relief.

However, go and get it checked by a professional.

jaysa | 4 years ago
1 like

Still get an X-ray to be sure there isn't damage you haven't found.

Latest Comments