Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fatter tyres

Hi all, I have my first road bike now, its a Boardman pro c although new I think its a old model.
Its got 700*25 tyres and about 7mm gap around them.
Is there a way of telling what tyres i can buy or just a guess ?
Roads terrible where i live so want to make the rides more comfy and not feel nervous every time i go over a crap hole or uneven bit of road. Woulf like crpss style tyres, not really worried about my speed.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

gas01 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your advice all !!
Rear clearance looks the same, boardman customer support said they only guarantee it with supplied tyres but said 28 should be fine.
Will buy one 30mm tyre first and see how it goes.

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
1 like

Stick some G One 35mm in there.  Super fast tubeless/tubed tyre.

Ive just ordered 8 tyres from a german site tan wall 40mm G One allround.  Ive already got the G Ones one of my bikes, but they are so good, Im fitting them to all the bikes in the family.

Im converting these to tubeless-why Schwalbe dont sell the tan wall in TLE is beyond me. 

kil0ran replied to CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Stick some G One 35mm in there.  Super fast tubeless/tubed tyre.

Ive just ordered 8 tyres from a german site tan wall 40mm G One allround.  Ive already got the G Ones one of my bikes, but they are so good, Im fitting them to all the bikes in the family.

Im converting these to tubeless-why Schwalbe dont sell the tan wall in TLE is beyond me. 

I'd assumed because the sidewall construction is different for the TLE tyre? Schwalbe and Conti have both been late to the tanwall party.

jaysa | 4 years ago
1 like

"movement in the dropout after a pothole" - yep - changed my rear skewer from titanium to good old Ultegra because my rear wheel moved.

Wish I could claim crankbending acceleration caused it, but  no chance!

ChasP | 4 years ago
0 likes

Be careful, tyres vary widely from their nominal size between different models/manufacturers. Leave a good clearance as wheel flex or movement in the dropout after a pothole can mean you're wearing through your frame or forks before you realise it. Schwalbe cx comp in 30mm size may be ok , but you can't tell without trying them...

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Loads of clearance at the front, but the critical point is often at the seat-stay bridge (that's the gap behind the bottom bracket in front of the rear wheel. Can you add a pic of that (from above, standing on the non-drive side of the bike).

Maybe look at something semi-cross (dry-weather cross) like a GravelKing SK - good compromise between grip and speed. They come in 28 & 33 - to see feel real benefit you'll want to go to 33/35 if you can. There's loads of 33m cross tyre options - Schwalbe One All Around might be a good one too.

EddyBerckx | 4 years ago
0 likes

Looks to me you'd get 35mm tyres on. My old cx bike had them for a while and they do make a big difference in comfort at the expense of holding a higher speed if you like hammering it a bit.

Also maybe you could pop an email to boardman/halfords about it?

gas01 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Pic

Latest Comments