Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike time Canyon vs Ribble

So wondering if there are any other users out there that weighed up Canyon Endurace vs Ribble Endurance?
Looking also for the customer experience you’ve had with both as I’m regretting choosing the Ribble due to persistent “unfortunate” events that are in fact choices.
I have serious concerns of Ribble’s after sales customer service based on the negative reviews on trustpilot that my own experience seems to shadow at least in the lead up to taking delivery. This is leading me to regret choosing Ribble over Canyon.

How is Canton for support/customer service?

This is my first dip into road bikes after running with a bike that has been solid as a rock for over 15 years as a MTB with only regular maintenance and that was bought in the good old days of going to Geoff Wiles, trying the bike out and handing over the cash.
I’m finding today’s e-commerce daunting and based on customer service alone, I’m worried that this thing won’t last 15 minutes let alone 15 months.

Apologies for first ever post being long winded. Look forward your constructive input.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Cog One | 4 years ago
1 like

Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated.

steviewevie | 4 years ago
1 like

I bought a Canyon Endurace around 18 months ago and I'm very happy with it. No issues with the bike on delivery. The other other experience I've had with Canyon customer service was asking a couple of questions, one before I ordered and another after I'd ordered, and they were very helpful both times.

peted76 | 4 years ago
1 like

You've highlighted an issue with buying cheap and online. The savings have to come from somewhere, both Canyon and Ribble are known for being difficult to deal with or having rigid customer service. 

Remember you only ever hear from the person who has had problems, both are very popular brands and have many satisfied customers. Seems like you're one of the unlucky ones.

EddyBerckx | 4 years ago
1 like

Had a very good experience with my canyon, bought as a result of test riding one on one of their open day events held across the country. Ribble have started to do this too I believe?

If you're serious about their bikes then go on the website to check when the next convenient one is.

They are great bikes full stop, regardless of the savings. It's not just about spec btw, some frames etc are simply better than others.

Russell Orgazoid | 4 years ago
0 likes

Local bike shop or Ribble simply because they are a British firm.

Xenophon2 replied to Russell Orgazoid | 4 years ago
0 likes

Plasterer's Radio wrote:

Local bike shop or Ribble simply because they are a British firm.

Oh really?  Where do they source their frames and components?  Except for their flagship store, where are they located?

Never ridden a Ribble but without poring over the specs to me they look more or less comparable to the Canyon.  You should try riding one  (admittedly, that might prove difficult).  I got myself a Canyon Grail, was very hesitant for the sizing but their tool proved to be spot on.  

Canyon gets you a lot of bike with a high spec for your cash, difficult to do better.

Drawbacks:  they NEVER respect the delivery schedule posted when ordering except if the bike is definitely in stock.  But if you feel they're pushing it you can cancel any time, no questions asked. Then, obviously, they don't have a dealer network so you'll have to find someone for the maintenance or -preferable imo- learn to do it yourself.  If you can live with the 'we ship you a good bike at an excellent price point and then you're on your own' concept then I can recommend them.  If getting local service, advice and a local contact point is worth 1k extra to you, then steer clear and pick a different brand from those 2.  

joeegg | 4 years ago
1 like

I have a Canyon Endurace which I bought a couple of years ago. It was an in stock bike,and discounted,so delivery was on time.Packaging was excellent with a handbook and tools.

Out of the box everything worked perfectly. No indexing problems or loose fastenings.Only change was to swap out the stem for 10mm longer.

Positives are that the spec for the money is great,especially the wheels where most manufacturers skimp.

Negatives ? Sizing could be a problem but using the guide on the website and forums usually pins it down.And colours. My bike was available in just 2,neither inspiring,but doesn't bother me when I'm on it.

Can't fault my experience with Canyon and the bike.

Stef Marazzi | 4 years ago
2 likes

If you want customer service like you've had in the past, you need to visit your local bike shop. Canyon and Ribble, despite excellent products, definitely are box movers.

Sriracha | 4 years ago
2 likes

I was comparing the Ribble CGR Al vs Pinnacle Arkose D3 in Birmingham.

FW Evans (Pinnacle) gave me the full treatment, unpacked and PDI'd a D3 from stock for me to test ride the same day, very nice people etc.
Ribble offered a bijou showroom experience in the swanky Birmingham Mailbox, more staff than customers (I was the only one there other than the three staff). I was allowed to look and touch the bike, but nothing more. When I asked about a test ride they put they it back in its display like a precious object and suggested I go to Lancashire. No, really, they said that.

I'm really enjoying my Pinnacle Arkose D3!

matthewn5 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I rode the Dunwich Dynamo with a group including a chap riding one of thiese Ribbles:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-sl/

It was really impressive, takes 650b or 700c wheels for gravel/road, and was a very smart looking bike to boot. The chap who owned it said he was selling his other bikes, as it he'd finally found the elusive 'one bike suits all' machine.

Latest Comments