Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano 7000 rear derailleur compatibility

Apologies if this question has been asked before but my rear 105 5800 derailleur has given up the ghost, the thread on the inner plate is stripped,and i'm doing a coast to coast ride on Monday!!  Its a GS (medium cage) and I can't find anywhere local (Chorley, Lancashire) that has one in stock, (or even the inner plate)

I thought that the latest r 7000 derailleur would work, but I've been told that this will not work with 5800 shifters?? This suprised me as I thought all 11 speed shimano was interchangeable.

Has anyone fitted a r 7000 mech with 5800 shifters? Are they compatible? 

In addition, a long shot but does anyone in the North west have a 5800 medium cage mech for sale or even the inner plate off an old one?

Thanks in advance. Phil

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Redvee | 4 years ago
0 likes

I fitted 5800 levers on a friends bike with a 5800 rear and 7000 front mech this week. For some reason the 7000 rear was losing the chain off the bottom jockey wheel in the big-big combo, swapped to the 5800 rear mech and no chain loss, and I did add a link of chain to see if that was the issue and it still happened. When we took the mech 7000 rear mech off it did look twisted which isn't good for a brand new mech.

smazonyryz | 4 years ago
0 likes

Your LBSs are only partially wrong... Rear derailleurs are very much compatible between 5800 and a 7000, however front mechs are not.

fukawitribe replied to smazonyryz | 4 years ago
0 likes

smazonyryz wrote:

Your LBSs are only partially wrong... Rear derailleurs are very much compatible between 5800 and a 7000, however front mechs are not.

Odd - Shimano list the ST-5800/6800 and ST-R70xx/80xx/90xx shifters as cross compatible with the FD-5800/6800 and FD-R7000/8000/9x00  front mechs

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/3.7?acid=C-455&cid=C-453

What's the issue ?

maviczap replied to fukawitribe | 4 years ago
0 likes

fukawitribe wrote:

smazonyryz wrote:

Odd - Shimano list the ST-5800/6800 and ST-R70xx/80xx/90xx shifters as cross compatible with the FD-5800/6800 and FD-R7000/8000/9x00  front mechs

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/3.7?acid=C-455&cid=C-453

What's the issue ?

Agree, I'm using 6800 shifters with 8000 front and rear mechs, both work fine

philb66 | 4 years ago
1 like

Update on this. Called Shimano, confirmed compatability. Bought 7000 mech fitted it myself and had LBS fit new cable and index it. All seems fine!

The _Kaner | 4 years ago
1 like

I've Ultegra 6800 on mine and replaced the RD with a Ultegra 8000, as mentioned previously, shimano data sheets confirm compatability...set up is relatively easier on the shadow type, I found. No issues with shifters in fact the shifting appears better.

philb66 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks that's good to know!

philb66 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, I'd seen that info but two lbs tell me not compatible. I'm calling Shimano this morning for clarity. Will fit it myself if need be.

Woldsman replied to philb66 | 4 years ago
0 likes

If you're not already a member join Amazon Prime (temporarily?) and get one delivered by tomorrow or Saturday at the latest? 

fukawitribe | 4 years ago
0 likes

As far as I know, the cable pull is the same for all Shimano 11-speed road gear - and the cog pitch certainly hasn't changed from 5800 to R7000 - so can't see an issue on the face of it (e.g. the derailleur shift ratio will be the same).

Edit : Just checked and seems they are compatible according to Shimano specs

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/3.7?acid=C-454&cid=C-453

Latest Comments