Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Compression bung slipping

Hello All,

I'm after a bit of advice.  I have a Cube Attain GTC, which has carbon forks with an alu steerer tube.  When I try to tighten the compression bung (FSA) it won't grip totally, so when I tighten the top cap it slips and I can't compress enough.  Any tips of how to sort this or should I just buy a  different  bung?

Cheers, Lee

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

Oddly, after doing a full sevice on my Chris King and my Marzochi Z2s (98?) I had slipage on my star fangled nut, managed to get enough traction to nip up the stem adequetly, but back to the LBS for their tools on this one.  Wonderful shakedown ride this afternoon, turned into a really nice evening, found myself in a bluebell wood.

leelang229 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice chaps.  I greased the inside of the expansion plates (and the bevelled faces of the top and botton bolts), so they slid apart more evenly when I tightened the bolt ; it worked an absolute treat!  I can nip everything together tight enough now to stop any play when braking.  Sometimes it's the easy fixes that work best!!

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
0 likes

I usually bash a star nut in with an old headset bolt in it. Once it is started, you can keep tapping it straight.

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

A mallet, a screwdriver, and some care are all you need!

If you're going to get a new bung, get a longer one, so you'll have more contact area between bung and steerer.

leelang229 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys,

Not sure I want to go the star nut route, it looks a bit difficult to get the nut inserted and at the right level without a proper tool.  I think I will have a go cleaning everything out, and maybe get a new bung if thhat dooesnt work.

ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

Maybe give everything a good clean so you have metal on metal.  Once the stem is tightened you can remove the bung and lube a bit.  the top cap shouldn't be too tight in use anyway?

When I got my first Aheadset it was an FSA, I liked that it wasn't a star fangled nut, they scare me a bit.  I am at this moment servicing my Chris King No Threadset, Not going anywhere near the star fangled.   Bit annoyed that I have to clean and lube the bearings whilst in the frame, but my god it's a work of engineering art in there.  Left it a bit long, 8 years, I think, greased externally when servicing forks (Marzochi Z2s 98, plush as) , but it's still clean in there and shiny.

srchar | 4 years ago
1 like

If the steerer tube is alu, you can use a star fangled nut.

Latest Comments