Kinesis GF_Ti V3 vs Whyte Wessex One?

I know what you're thinking; "Huh? Those are two completely different bikes!" But, hear me out!

I currently have a Triban 500 which is a size too big for me, so in other words I have a pretty low end set of wheels, groupset etc that can be cannibalised is needed, if not, I have a pub bike... I want to buy a new, better bike that actually fits me and will encourage me to go out and ride it rather than making excuses of achey shoulders! I bought the Triban as a cheap way to see if I actually liked road biking, and to that end, it’s served it’s purpose very well indeed, but it’s time for something shiny!

I've narrowed down my choices to either the Kinesis GF_Ti V3 or the Whyte Wessex One. I realise these are quite different options, hence my dilemma! For reference I also considered the 4S disc, the RTD and the Orro Gold disc but this has a press fit bb...

On the Kinesis front, the frame itself can be had for about £1250 online, and I can transfer most of the bits from my Triban while I save up for something more bling (I know I’ll also need a seat post and front mech as the seat posts are different sizes). I’ll enjoy the building process and will ultimately end up with a bike built specifically for me, I’m thinking Hunt carbon wheels with Ultegra…

The Whyte Wessex is £2k for the complete bike and I’d buy it from a local(ish) bike shop so would probably get a sizing/fit thrown in. They don’t have it in stock (although they can order it) so I can’t test ride it, but neither can I test the Kinesis.

Both bikes will take guards, both have a threaded BB, both take wide-ish tyres. So I guess it comes down to, disc vs (long drop) callipers, 1x vs 2x and carbon vs titanium… Despite being carbon the Whyte is a bit porky due to the discs so I think final builds will weigh roughly the same… I haven’t ridden either of these bikes but have ridden other carbon and titanium bikes briefly and think titanium is more comfy whilst carbon is more direct/faster. I’m not sold on discs but do recognise their advantages (also their disadvantages, weight, cost and the dreaded squeal!), that being said I’m comparing to long drop callipers, not direct mount so not the most efficient callipers… I’m also on the fence about 1x vs 2x - depending on the cassette the overall gear range will be roughly the same and I’m not bothered about the jumps as I don’t race or ride in groups - cadence isn’t really important to me, and I could always fit a 1x to the Kinesis…

What do you think? This a bike for normal rides on normal British roads, I like to go far and fast but I’ll never get a KOM. I don’t have any issues riding in the rain but I don’t have to go out if it’s lashing down (this is a Sunday ride, not a commuter). I live in Surrey so there are lots of hills, but it’s not the alps!

I know the correct answer is to buy both, but I currently only have space for 1 bike…

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments