Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Snug Hollowtech 2 chainset removal?

I've swapped Hollowtech 2 chainsets several times over the years and they've always popped out easily with a small tap from a mallet but one this morning seemed to get stuck coming out of the drive side cup. Any ideas what might have caused it? In the end I had to stick a metal bar through the hollow axle and tap it out using that. It was almost all the way out on the drive side. No obvious damage or burrs to the axle and everything cleaned up nicely for reinstallation.

I was swapping two chainsets between bikes and both reinstalled just fine with no extra force needed. The one it got stuck on was a 5800 chainset and a Dura-Ace 9000 english threaded cup. It did feel like there was a fair bit of play in the cup when I wiggled the axle but not sure if that's normal when everything is unloaded?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
1 like

Buy a decent one like a HOPE, it'll last multiple times longer than 4,000 miles, worth the money IMHO.

maviczap replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
1 like

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Buy a decent one like a HOPE, it'll last multiple times longer than 4,000 miles, worth the money IMHO.

Yep all my bikes have Hope BB's. Never any creaks or noises, easy to change bearings on them, and clean out any gunge behind the outer seal.

I always buy them 2nd hand off eBay, because even if the bearings are shot, they're only £8 to replace.

Jack Osbourne snr | 5 years ago
1 like

Don't bother getting a Dura Ace one unless they are seriously reduced. HT2 bottom brackets aren't hugely different in function.

kil0ran replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 5 years ago
0 likes

Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

Don't bother getting a Dura Ace one unless they are seriously reduced. HT2 bottom brackets aren't hugely different in function.

£19 from Sigma at the moment. Will probably go with something blingy from Hope or similar as this is my best bike/summer show-pony now.

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

Ah, that makes sense. I'm pretty sure its got well north of 4000 miles on it so probably time for a change. Has been on three bikes over that time too 

Jack Osbourne snr | 5 years ago
0 likes

Assuming the axle was right through both bearings, there really shouldn't be much if any play (even when unloaded), and a "fair bit" is pretty indicative of the likely cause...

Basically, one, or both of the bearings is worn - not necessarily toast, but definitely worn - and the inner race of the drive side has displaced just enough to plough into the axle as you tapped it through.

It doesn't take much to stop an axle moving when a bearing race is trying to dig into it... fortunately the axles are as hard a Danny Dyer (harder actually)

You won't get much more life out of your bottom bracket, so start checking out the sale prices soon.

Latest Comments