Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Considerate drivers

I had a really pleasant ride to the station this morning. It started well when a bus driver stopped to let me cross the pedestrian crossing as I cycled up to it, though he didn't really need to as I was riding not walking. Then when I turned off the main road, a woman in a Jeep hung back rather than cutting in front of me and she stayed behind, even though she could've squeezed past.

I thought I had to mention it. Some drivers do give a shit and do take care.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

34 comments

Cdl888 | 5 years ago
2 likes

Love this thread... great to see some postitivity as sometimes the road.cc world vs. Cyclist agenda gets very tedious. 

I ride with courtesy and find that it's generally reciprocated on the narrow country lanes I tend to ride. I wouldn't want to be stuck behind  a cyclist for miles so always try to pull in to driveways and wave people past where I can. I'd also much rather a car not be sat waiting behind me so it suits me to allow them to pass on my terms rather them try to squeeze past when's I'm not expecting it. 

Drinfinity | 5 years ago
2 likes

Nice ride out near Frodsham today, not one close pass. I moved over to let a Hobgoblin brewery lorry past, and the driver gave me a wave when he pulled up in a pub a bit later on. Working later, so I couldn’t even stop for a pint.

I also pedalled in my 11t sprocket for some distance. I’ll probably have to suspend myself from the forum for a week for that.  ;->

JoshOwenMorris | 5 years ago
3 likes

Some time last winter (and on the second ride out with new winter tights, grr) I had the front tube on my Carlton exploded through the tyre side wall, with such a force that not only did it blow me clean over onto my arse, but two separate drivers stopped, thinking they might have hit me and to see if I was okay

Anyway, despite there being four passengers in each and not quite enough room for a bike, both offered me a lift to the train station 5 miles away, which I very gratefully accepted.

PRSboy | 5 years ago
6 likes

I suppose it depends on the circumstances.  Of course I won't thank every driver who avoids me whilst Im cycling, but if its obvious someone has made a decision to do the right thing, for example following whilst I wheeze up a hill which is not well sighted and they wait patiently behind for a safe overtake, then I will acknowledge their courtesy.  I know they should do that, but it still feels right to me to thank them.

There is no reason to say hi to a fellow dog walker when out and about, but I still do.

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
3 likes

After my positivity of the other day - i slowed down today due to horses on the other side of the road, 3 cars roared between the horses and I. 

A little further down the road, mahoosive dumper truck didn't even pop his tyres on the central white lines as he assed at 55/60. He got the maxwell house signs and put his hazards on a little after (not sure if an apology), his mate in the convoy slowed, let cars in the opposite lane clear and made a good pass. Hope it was discussed at brew time...

Legs_Eleven_Wor... replied to alansmurphy | 5 years ago
2 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

After my positivity of the other day - i slowed down today due to horses on the other side of the road, 3 cars roared between the horses and I. 

The horses and me.

Sorry ... 'couldn't resist. 

scousegreg | 5 years ago
7 likes

I've just moved to Spain and the difference between Spanish drivers and UK drivers is night and day.

They generally all seem to stick to the 1.5m rule for giving space - but almost to the extreme.  To leave my area I have to cycle along the main coast road towards Alicante airport which has a segregated cycle path for the first section, but this ends as the coast road and the airport roads diverge.  On numerous occasions I've had motorists wait until I've exited the wide slip road before overtaking me - dispite there being more than enough room for both of us to co-exist.

The only time I seem to get the agression is when I'm near ex-pat areas which I try to avoid generally.

Mungecrundle | 5 years ago
7 likes

Nothing wrong with acknowledging courteous behavior from other road users. For example, I don't feel insulted when a horse rider thanks me for a slow and wide pass. On the contrary I feel that I have made their ride a little less stressful and that the acknowledgement has made my ride a little more pleasant. Win win.

Whilst it could be argued that it is unneccessay to reward the basic kindness of someone not running you over, Simple acts, a nod, a raised palm or other acknowledgement, connects us as human beings and rewards the behaviour we want to see.

OldRidgeback replied to Mungecrundle | 5 years ago
4 likes

Mungecrundle wrote:

Nothing wrong with acknowledging courteous behavior from other road users. For example, I don't feel insulted when a horse rider thanks me for a slow and wide pass. On the contrary I feel that I have made their ride a little less stressful and that the acknowledgement has made my ride a little more pleasant. Win win. Whilst it could be argued that it is unneccessay to reward the basic kindness of someone not running you over, Simple acts, a nod, a raised palm or other acknowledgement, connects us as human beings and rewards the behaviour we want to see.

Yes indeed, and it's good psychology. Showing respect to other results in them (usually) showing respect back. And people who have been treated with respect then carry this on with others they encounter, and so it continues.

A simple gesture that you appreciate someone else has taken the time is equally appreciated. And in doing so, it will then be reciprocated.

PRSboy replied to Mungecrundle | 5 years ago
5 likes

Mungecrundle wrote:

Nothing wrong with acknowledging courteous behavior from other road users. For example, I don't feel insulted when a horse rider thanks me for a slow and wide pass. On the contrary I feel that I have made their ride a little less stressful and that the acknowledgement has made my ride a little more pleasant. Win win. Whilst it could be argued that it is unneccessay to reward the basic kindness of someone not running you over, Simple acts, a nod, a raised palm or other acknowledgement, connects us as human beings and rewards the behaviour we want to see.

Yup this.

Doesnt cost anything and makes everyone feel a little happier.

I don't 'have' to ask a cyclist stopped at the roadside doing a repair if they have everything they need.  Chances are they do, but I always feel cheered when people ask me when I'm in the same position.

Forgetting our connection with other human beings ends up with close passes, road rage etc.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to Mungecrundle | 5 years ago
4 likes

Mungecrundle wrote:

You've taken what I've said completely the wrong way!

I acknowledge courteous road users all the time, one where there is no obligation for them to say cede priority, and indeed when someone has held back when in normal circumstances they'd squeeze through, positive re-enforcement and all that. Likewise I often cede priority or make sure that pedestrians can cross safely (it removes the hazard we present to each other IMHO) and drivers have enough space to progress when it's clear it's not affecting my journey but for a few seconds to slow or come to a stop. There is a difference between the two however.

My comment was to highlight how things are so bad for us that we celebrate people not actually intimidating us, giving us what is lawfully required so that doesn't make us feel threatened or increases the likelihood of physical harm. It's at odds with the rest of society and how we act, only on the roads do we say thanks for not making me feel fear of harm or for not injurying me,

Don't you find that rather odd?

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
2 likes

it's interesting how we interpret things.

It's such a shit show on the road that we actually applaud and give kudos to what is actually just lawful operation of motor vehicle with due respect to not assaulting another human being (making you feel fear or come to physical harm).

The vast majority of the time It's not courteous or considerate, it's the minimum that should be lawfully expected EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Would one deem a random adult not making a child feel fear of serious harm when they pass by them in the street 'considerate', or would you think that's how we expect people to behave in a civilised society as a matter of course, is not assaulting someone whilst you're in their vicinity 'considerate', nope, it's only deemed so on the roads when people behave lawfully because the level of behaviour/abiding by law is so ridiculously low we celebrate it and give praise.

Dnnnnnn replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
1 like

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

It's such a shit show on the road

I think it's more that it's such a shit show on this website.

nickW1 | 5 years ago
7 likes

just recalled one incident when the charming young lady in the mini pulled out in front of me 

stopped to apologise and say she would have been really upset if she had knocked such an old man of his bike ( I am 58 ) my bike was OK my ego was trashed 

nickW1 | 5 years ago
2 likes

I do ride on the back roads of suffolk and I can honestly say the drivers are usually a decent bunch, I know I will take the wrath of the uber cyclists but yes I do stop and get on the side for lorries etc, saying this I will propably have aggro the next time I am out, but I do suscribe to the fact that all range rover drivers have their width perception removed when they buy one 

montocat | 5 years ago
2 likes

The Argos van driver who cut straight across my bows this morning in Brighton was very apologetic when I caught him at the lights.

PRSboy | 5 years ago
7 likes

On a ride at the weekend I approached some horseriders on my bike, gave a cheery 'Morning!' so as not to startle the horses when passing.  I moved right into the opposite lane, and a car came into view... no drama, he slowed down to give me time to pass wide and slow, I waved, he waved, and the horseriders waved and thanked everyone.  Almost Utopian!

Legs_Eleven_Wor... replied to PRSboy | 5 years ago
6 likes

PRSboy wrote:

On a ride at the weekend I approached some horseriders on my bike, gave a cheery 'Morning!' so as not to startle the horses when passing.  I moved right into the opposite lane, and a car came into view... no drama, he slowed down to give me time to pass wide and slow, I waved, he waved, and the horseriders waved and thanked everyone.  Almost Utopian!

My wife and I, in our car, were behind about six or seven cars 'patiently' waiting behind two horse riders the other week.  We could just see the top of the riders' shoulders.  

'Wow!' said my wife.  'Those drivers are being really nice!'

'Hmm, they are, aren't they...' I muttered.  

Eventually, we were at the head of the queue, and all was revealed.  The word 'POLICE' on the back of the riders' hi-viz.  

Legs_Eleven_Wor... | 5 years ago
1 like

What do you call a driver who obeys the law?

A car thief.

whoishJ | 5 years ago
2 likes

Narrow B roads are usually quite good for considerate drivers; I've had a few occasions where large MPVs or 4x4s have pulled into passing places and waved me through. I've had this in Essex/Cambridgshire as well as Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire.

I always try and give a wave of thanks and a thumbs up!

Dnnnnnn | 5 years ago
2 likes

I find almost all drivers at least OK but last Thursday's on Dorset lanes were almost embarrassingly considerate. The number of oncoming drivers who pulled in to let me past, and following ones who waited until there was loads of room to pass was remarkable (at least to my metropolitan mind).

I did find myself sometimes thinking "on come on, there's loads of room!" but settled for a cheery wave or a thumbs-up instead.

HoarseMann | 5 years ago
1 like

and that was me just over a year ago, lovely sunny ride into work, lots of considerate drivers and I thought to myself, things are getting better. Then a mile down the road a white van tries to run me off the road...

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
11 likes

As has been mentioned you often get a following driver taking the lead of the first; if the first one slows and gives you space the others usually do. You can't help but be in despair when someone in that chain breaks it though.

I'll often hold up a hand to the patient ones and even try and move left a little or wave them past around a bend if i can see the road ahead first. Again you feel those seeing this think of you as a fellow commuter rather than "a wanker that's delaying me". Also whent hey give you the hazards to thank you for thanking them it makes you feel loved, though a bit socially awkward if you wave again then they do... That's more of a relationship than i have with my parents! 

StuInNorway | 5 years ago
9 likes

Despite how it feels reading the comments on any story in our local paper that even hints at a cyclist, most drivers here are pretty decent.  (Still enough poor ones that I managed to get my own episode on the paper's "Traffic central" program they ran online a couple of years ago though)
After a new operator took over the bus services here, there was a marked change in their driving. The old leap frog from bus-stop to bus-stop with busses passing in between each seems to have stopped, they seem to have figured out it's easier to follow us to the next stop and never see us again. 
My best experience was heading down a long gentle decline, holding a decent speed, but nothing like the 80km/h limit. As I hear a familiar rumble behind me of a Harley Davidson (one of the local Hells Angels type groups have a club house nearby) which then slowed and sat behind me about 10m back, out towards the centre line. At the roundabout at the bottom this bearded biker in his leathers pulls alongside me and tells me he recognised the 2 drivers in the Audi's he'd just passed, and knew their driving style, so decided to make sure they couldn't do an unsafe pass on me.

Leeroy_Silk | 5 years ago
9 likes

Hooray! This has to be the most positive thread I’ve read on road.cc in the longest time! 

This morning I was riding the country lanes on the south side of Birmingham, about to turn left I saw an Ocado delivery truck waiting to turn right into the same road, I was about to wave him through when he flashed me through 1st. He proceeded to follow me at a safe distance until there was room for him to safely overtake, I waved him through then smiled as the passenger lowered his window and stuck his thumb out!

That simple, friendly gesture made me smile and put me in a good mood for the rest of the day

matthewn5 | 5 years ago
7 likes

I have to turn right off a main road on my way home which leaves me stuck in the middle of the road with my arm out waiting. It's surprising how often drivers will actually stop to let me turn right. Even black cabs!

ooldbaker | 5 years ago
15 likes

I spent one winter on a bike with only one high gear. I could manage my route to and from my nearest town except one hill which I could never quite get to the very top. I used to ride myself to a standstill then get off, take a couple of minutes to recover then push the last 20m or so.

One day a young man in a Ford Fiesta with his girlfriend passed me just as I got off my bike and was breathing heavily. He pulled in over the hill got out, grabbed a water bottle, ran back to my side of the hill. He had seen me and had thought I looked in distress. I was perfectly OK by the time he got to me but had to be impressed by his concern.

I find nearly all drivers who pass me in the countryside away from heavy traffic are very considerate. Also most of those in the towns too.

It is just that inevitably we remember the bad, shocking ones much more.

Jogle | 5 years ago
11 likes

I'm surprised how considerate some drivers are, especially on narrow roads where most will either pull in and stop or drive half off the tarmac so I can easily pass.

Some are a little too considerate though. A couple of months ago I was riding along a country road at night and a car came up behind me but just wouldn't overtake, no matter how slow I was on hills. After about a mile I stopped to have a drink and the driver stopped and explained that he hadn't been in a rush and so thought that he'd follow and give me more light to see by

PRSboy | 5 years ago
9 likes

When I'm driving, I like to pass cyclists as I would like to be passed myself.  No pressure, hang back, clear signal, pass fully across the centre line.

I will also reduce speed if passing on a clear road as I know its alarming to be passed at speed.

Interestingly, I've watched other drivers following me, and I've found they often 'copy' my safe overtake.

Kudos also to the sports-biker who passed me and my young daughter when we were cycling along a country road... I could hear him coming at speed, but heard him slow right down even though the view was clear and shift up to reduce exhaust noise as he passed.

RMurphy195 replied to PRSboy | 5 years ago
6 likes

PRSboy wrote:

When I'm driving, I like to pass cyclists as I would like to be passed myself.  No pressure, hang back, clear signal, pass fully across the centre line.

I will also reduce speed if passing on a clear road as I know its alarming to be passed at speed.

Interestingly, I've watched other drivers following me, and I've found they often 'copy' my safe overtake.

Kudos also to the sports-biker who passed me and my young daughter when we were cycling along a country road... I could hear him coming at speed, but heard him slow right down even though the view was clear and shift up to reduce exhaust noise as he passed.

+1

Pages

Latest Comments