Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What's the hardest part of cycling?

Hey guys, me and my friends are putting together a DT project about cycling and would really appreciate it if you could help us with our client research by commenting down below with your response!

a) securing your bike
b) maintenance
c) lights
or something else??

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

27 comments

don simon fbpe | 5 years ago
1 like

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/252181-new-continental-gp-5000-tyre-43...

Getting the right tyres apparently, it's just so confusing and everyone's got a fucking opinion.

Paul7189 | 5 years ago
1 like

For me its being a fat shit....

JohnnyRemo | 5 years ago
0 likes

Trying to help the poster - Howzabout securing all the removable bits when you park up - lights, bottles, computer, saddle pack, pump etc

IanEdward | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hardest part for me is being able to ride as often as I want, as fast as I want, and as far as I want, without getting bloody injured!

Once you're in you thirties is seems you need to keep your base mileage ticking over constantly otherwise your body just goes soft. Three months off for a collarbone to heal and now my knees can't cope with more than 4 or 5 hours riding a week, most frustrating!

DaSy replied to IanEdward | 5 years ago
0 likes

IanEdward wrote:

Once you're in you thirties is seems you need to keep your base mileage ticking over constantly otherwise your body just goes soft. Three months off for a collarbone to heal and now my knees can't cope with more than 4 or 5 hours riding a week, most frustrating!

Make the most of it Ian! I look back to my thirties now with a sad longing. I was as fit as I have ever been and all things were possible in my mind. Now in my mid-fifties and I really have to fight to keep to a fitness level I am happy with. A lot of that is unrealistic expectations, based on not actually fully recognising I have aged.

The thing that upsets me the most is my drop in FTP; this has little to do with age, I just let it slip away, so I am now on a mission to get somewhere near where I was, but the increased need for recovery time means it's not a quick process.

bike_food | 5 years ago
2 likes

Getting all geared up for a ride then finding you have a puncture.

The Rake | 5 years ago
2 likes

Getting off the sofa

Dnnnnnn replied to The Rake | 5 years ago
2 likes

The Rake wrote:

Getting off the sofa

If you must cycle on the sofa, try rolling off it at the front - where it's lower - rather than bumping over the arms or trying to climb over the back.

Zermattjohn | 5 years ago
3 likes

Headwinds.

TheFatAndTheFurious | 5 years ago
0 likes

Going faster or further than you’ve managed up until now.

don simon fbpe | 5 years ago
0 likes

Securing your bike when out and about.

Training ride isn't a problem as it's never left unattended, but popping into town and there's a clear lack of available points to safely lock it too.

Organon | 5 years ago
2 likes

Home maintenance. You often need three hands, to hold a component in place, pull a cable taut and do up a hex bolt. And small components have a tendancy to be attracted to the centre of the Earth initially, but then change their mind and find the bottom of the sofa more attractive. 

CygnusX1 | 5 years ago
4 likes

I suspect these answers are not helping the original poster and his/her school chums come up with a suitable idea for their GCSE Design & Technology (DT) project 

You could try inventing indicators for bikes - nobody has come with that idea before! 

bagseye | 5 years ago
2 likes

Yep, you guessed it, abusive drivers.

Everything else is a joy and part of it. Even the hills.

Stef Marazzi | 5 years ago
1 like

Car drivers who want to kill you

srchar | 5 years ago
1 like

Being overtaken.

DaSy | 5 years ago
6 likes

For me, it's all the pedalling.

Mungecrundle | 5 years ago
3 likes

I think the question reveals a pre-conception that there must be something hard or difficult about cycling. I am fortunate enough to ride daily, just 4 miles commuting. If my commute was longer then I might think twice more often, but as it is, it really has to be appalling bad weather to persuade me to take the car instead (or walk), the bike is quicker and easier to park at work.

There are certainly things that would make cycling easier. for me that would be showers and changing facilities at work and better cycle parking provision at the shops. But if you think about it, only walking is easier to access as a method of personal transportation than cycling. You just jump on and ride.

I can appreciate the personal struggle to get up and out on a cold, wet weekend to get in a decent ride. I used to ride alone, but in the last few years have got a lot of motivation to turn out by joining my local club. Although some mornings you do turn up and hope that no-one else does, so that you can sneak back to bed. Even those cold wet rides are enjoyable, especially when they finish.

Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
6 likes

Actually being arsed to cycle. Struggling with motivation at the moment due to school run/work change that's left me struggling to find time windows to even commute, never mind leisure use.

Going to have to set my Zwifting space up again as the weather also seems to pulling the rain at 7.a.m trick at the weekends as well.

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
9 likes

Abusive motorists that think they know where and how you should be cycling.

Kendalred replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
4 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Abusive motorists that think they know where and how you should be cycling.

This. Idiots who have the opinion that they have a divine right to be on the road and you don't.

ACBush | 5 years ago
2 likes

Hiding the upgrade expenditure from your partner.

simonmb replied to ACBush | 5 years ago
5 likes

ACBush wrote:

Hiding the upgrade expenditure from your partner.

Every new bike I buy is the same colour as the previous bike. I figure if I wheel them out of the door fast enough, she'll never spot the difference. It's worked like a treat so far.

VeloUSA | 5 years ago
2 likes

"What's the hardest part of cycling?" Hitting the asphalt

ktache | 5 years ago
4 likes

Resisting the urge to constantly upgrade.  

Jitensha Oni | 5 years ago
0 likes

Me smiley

Dnnnnnn | 5 years ago
14 likes

BehindThe BikeSheds

Latest Comments