Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Young couples are getting trapped in their cars

If you spot a couple trapped in their car, see if you can help smash the window to free them:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45956792

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

33 comments

FluffyKittenofT... | 5 years ago
1 like

Frustratingly self-perpetuating situation.  The more people who find themselves living in places like this, the stronger will be the electoral lobby against any increases on fuel duty or measures to curb traffic pollution and the more people you'll get seeing the world, politicially-speaking, through a car windscreen.

Might even produce an increasing number of older people with health problems that make active travel difficult.  A death-spiral of inadaquate regulation.

Butty | 5 years ago
0 likes

Housing estates built with a lack of facilities or public transportation is not a new issue. In my experience it started in the 1980's, as did out the of town retail park phenomenon that households were encouraged to drive to.

What is a problem with new developments are the planning restrictions to limit car ownership through deliberate minimisation of parking facilities/ garages.

This woudl be fine if it went hand in hand with effective alternative local transportation networks, but of course as this is the UK it is non-existent.

The result are new developments with owners still buying multiple cars and making the places look like an IKEA car park during a 50% sale.

This is quite a hostile environment for kids and also cyclists trying to negotiate cars dumped everywhere.

HoarseMann | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hannah spends 20mins driving 1.5miles to work and Peter can’t cycle as there are too many cars, so he drives.

Depressing.

These big developers need to be forced to do more to provide adequate active travel options. Not going to be much of a community with everyone isolated in their cars and the pavements deserted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45970349

FluffyKittenofT... replied to HoarseMann | 5 years ago
2 likes

HoarseMann wrote:

Hannah spends 20mins driving 1.5miles to work and Peter can’t cycle as there are too many cars, so he drives. Depressing. These big developers need to be forced to do more to provide adequate active travel options. Not going to be much of a community with everyone isolated in their cars and the pavements deserted. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45970349

Depressing is putting it mildly.

"It can take us up to 20 minutes to drive a mile-and-a-half to work"

So why add to the congestion problem by choosing to drive?  Even if cycling is "too dangerous", how long do they think it would take to walk 1.5 miles?

hawkinspeter replied to FluffyKittenofTindalos | 5 years ago
0 likes

FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

HoarseMann wrote:

Hannah spends 20mins driving 1.5miles to work and Peter can’t cycle as there are too many cars, so he drives. Depressing. These big developers need to be forced to do more to provide adequate active travel options. Not going to be much of a community with everyone isolated in their cars and the pavements deserted. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45970349

Depressing is putting it mildly.

"It can take us up to 20 minutes to drive a mile-and-a-half to work"

So why add to the congestion problem by choosing to drive?  Even if cycling is "too dangerous", how long do they think it would take to walk 1.5 miles?

1.5 miles journey would be best made by one of those micro-scooters (non-powered push along type). As they are so portable, you don't need to waste any time locking/unlocking them so they're great for joining up other forms of transport (e.g. bus, train).

https://www.wsj.com/articles/confessions-of-a-grown-up-kick-scooter-ride...

OR_biker | 5 years ago
6 likes

Here in the U.S., we just call places like this "suburbs" 

I'm impressed you actually have an article in your media that's complaining about this type of housing conifguration.  The whole "car dependence" thing is pretty much a given for most people over here that they prefer living a bit "out of the way."  A home without at least a 2-car garage attached and a driveway in front that can handle 3-4 more vehicles is considered somewhat minimalist.  Even if they have a shop or restaurant somewhat close most would still hop in their huge SUV's to avoid walking very far.

But then they complain about their commute time and blame it on the people trying to add better cycling infrastructure 

Canyon48 replied to OR_biker | 5 years ago
1 like

OR_biker wrote:

Here in the U.S., we just call places like this "suburbs" 

I'm impressed you actually have an article in your media that's complaining about this type of housing conifguration.  The whole "car dependence" thing is pretty much a given for most people over here that they prefer living a bit "out of the way."  A home without at least a 2-car garage attached and a driveway in front that can handle 3-4 more vehicles is considered somewhat minimalist.  Even if they have a shop or restaurant somewhat close most would still hop in their huge SUV's to avoid walking very far.

But then they complain about their commute time and blame it on the people trying to add better cycling infrastructure 

Yep, sounds quite a bit like the UK. Except you'd be lucky if you get a house with a drive (let alone a garage) most places in the UK!

And some people wonder why most people in the UK and US are fat.

srchar | 5 years ago
2 likes

If they can get out of their housing estate in a car, they can get out of it on a bike.

vonhelmet replied to srchar | 5 years ago
1 like

srchar wrote:

If they can get out of their housing estate in a car, they can get out of it on a bike.

Not everyone wants to cycle to and from Tesco to do the big shop.

John Smith replied to vonhelmet | 5 years ago
1 like

vonhelmet wrote:

srchar wrote:

Not everyone wants to cycle to and from Tesco to do the big shop.

Don’t bother. We have had this argument elsewhere recently and some people are totally incapable of understanding that a 10 mile cycle in all weathers is not everyone’s idea of fun... or that not everyone is confident dealing with the shit driving we see in the UK... or that there can be any possible reason why some people may not want to cycle and might want to walk or get public transport.

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hi Sleepy, where's Snow?

Bloody millennials innit?!

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
1 like

I'd anticipate the 'young couples' is part of the problem.

Didn't grow up playing outside, want their little brick box the same as next doors with their catalogue minimalist crap inside, always driven to their job as they were driven to school.

I'd never live in one of these hell holes but guess what, I ride past my butcher, farm shop, the supermarket and all these people as they leave their shit estates to get to their shit jobs in a longer time than it takes me. As i get fitter, economic value et al the only opportunity they get to redress the balance is to close pass me and then tell me its my fault due to 'the road', 'the sun' or my 'invisible black top'...

hawkinspeter replied to alansmurphy | 5 years ago
1 like

alansmurphy wrote:

Didn't grow up playing outside, want their little brick box the same as next doors with their catalogue minimalist crap inside, always driven to their job as they were driven to school.

I'd never live in one of these hell holes but guess what, I ride past my butcher, farm shop, the supermarket and all these people as they leave their shit estates to get to their shit jobs in a longer time than it takes me. As i get fitter, economic value et al the only opportunity they get to redress the balance is to close pass me and then tell me its my fault due to 'the road', 'the sun' or my 'invisible black top'...

Grumpy?

Canyon48 replied to alansmurphy | 5 years ago
2 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

I'm not sure you know many young people...

I'm in my early twenties and I cycle to work every day. My colleagues at work (same age as me) walk to work and a few of them don't even own cars, but that's because there isn't a massive housing issue in our local area.

My friends in Bristol aren't in such an ideal position, they can't get houses anywhere near their jobs, unfortunately - quite a few people living in Keynsham/Yate and commuting to Bristol for work.

Unsurprisingly, I and my friends don't really want to drive because it costs a lot and we don't want to spend ages sat in traffic - some people don't have the choice - because house prices are so high.

ktache | 5 years ago
2 likes

When I was reading this earlier today the question that hit me was why only couples and why young ones at that?

vonhelmet replied to ktache | 5 years ago
2 likes

ktache wrote:

When I was reading this earlier today the question that hit me was why only couples and why young ones at that?

Presumably the houses serve young couples well in terms of layout, location and price.

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
1 like

Yeah, pretty much all the places local to me are going this way. I was (until a couple months ago) living in North Somerset, two large new housing estates were built/are being built (Yatton and Churchill for any locals!).

No supermarkets nearby, not many jobs nearby and no school particularly close. I'm now in South Soms and it's the same story here...

Result is, everyone drives.

brakesmadly | 5 years ago
2 likes

"It's come about because planners allowed edge-of-town housing estates where car travel is the only option."

I'll buy that if literally the only roads in and out are motorways (although buses can run on those). Otherwise it's BS.

EddyBerckx replied to brakesmadly | 5 years ago
4 likes

mbrads72 wrote:

"It's come about because planners allowed edge-of-town housing estates where car travel is the only option."

I'll buy that if literally the only roads in and out are motorways (although buses can run on those). Otherwise it's BS.

Happy to let your 8 year old ride on those roads then? Or your 80 year old mother/grandmother? If not, it's not bs. 

brakesmadly replied to EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
4 likes

StoopidUserName wrote:

mbrads72 wrote:

Happy to let your 8 year old ride on those roads then? Or your 80 year old mother/grandmother? If not, it's not bs. 

If there is a road (whether suitable for cycling or not) it doesn't mean you must only use it in a car, or only travel to your destination using that road. Therefore, car travel is not the only option.

It also doesn't mean the only option other than cars is bikes. Making car travel the only option is lazy thinking. For many people their car is the only option because it's the only option they're prepared to consider. It's very rare that there is literally no other option.

Mark B | 5 years ago
2 likes

The large developments, basically new villages, tend to be a little better, and do include pubs, shops, doctors surgeries and schools. The problem is more with the smaller ones where they put a hundred houses on the edge of an existing town, and then a few years later another hundred on the next field.

Even when they are well designed with facilities for pedestrians and cyclists, the distances involved in going into the middle of town are often a bit far for a family with young children.

I agree that the article rather overstates the problem; most new estates either do have basic shops etc or they're on the edge of an existing town at a distance which is an easy cycle or a slightly annoyingly long but perfectly possible walk. I can well believe there are some estates which are bad, I don't know any of the ones mentioned in the article.

brooksby replied to Mark B | 5 years ago
1 like

Mark B wrote:

The large developments, basically new villages, tend to be a little better, and do include pubs, shops, doctors surgeries and schools. The problem is more with the smaller ones where they put a hundred houses on the edge of an existing town, and then a few years later another hundred on the next field.

Even when they are well designed with facilities for pedestrians and cyclists, the distances involved in going into the middle of town are often a bit far for a family with young children.

I agree that the article rather overstates the problem; most new estates either do have basic shops etc or they're on the edge of an existing town at a distance which is an easy cycle or a slightly annoyingly long but perfectly possible walk. I can well believe there are some estates which are bad, I don't know any of the ones mentioned in the article.

Cough, cough - Portishead! - cough, cough.

A small town, conveniently close to Bristol and the M5 motorway.  Build a few hundred houses.  Then a few hundred more.  Then fill in the gaps left.  "Doctor's surgeries", you say?  "Schools", you say?  "How the f will I actually get in and out of the town since there are only two small A roads?" you say?

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

Mark B wrote:

A small town, conveniently close to Bristol and the M5 motorway.  Build a few hundred houses.  Then a few hundred more.  Then fill in the gaps left.  "Doctor's surgeries", you say?  "Schools", you say?  "How the f will I actually get in and out of the town since there are only two small A roads?" you say?

Just get the train.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

brooksby wrote:

Mark B wrote:

Just get the train.

You think that'll actually ever happen?

(If so, would you like to buy a bridge I've got in the back of my van... yes  )

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

brooksby wrote:

Mark B wrote:

Just get the train.

It's as likely as Bristol getting a stadium.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

brooksby wrote:

Mark B wrote:

Just get the train.

It's as likely as Bristol getting a stadium.

Bristol or South Gloucestershire... yes

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
4 likes

It sounds to me like we're building houses according to the U.S. philosophy of "everybody drives everywhere", but we don't have sufficient space in our cities for all the cars.

I was suspicious of the phrase in the article "too far to cycle".

kil0ran | 5 years ago
4 likes

Load of bollocks. I'm commuting from Salisbury through Amesbury at the moment, the new estate is right on NCN45 and has excellent cycle paths. In the rush hour it's probably slightly quicker by bike than it is in a car

brooksby replied to kil0ran | 5 years ago
5 likes

kil0ran wrote:

Load of bollocks. I'm commuting from Salisbury through Amesbury at the moment, the new estate is right on NCN45 and has excellent cycle paths. In the rush hour it's probably slightly quicker by bike than it is in a car

Probably is: but then they'd have to ride a bike yes

I think the article raises a more general point - that newbuild developments ("lets build a new town/district right here") seem to be designed as monocultures: this area will be residential, this area will be commercial/retail, this area under the bridge next to the sewerage treatment works behind a really big wall will be affordable housing, that sort of thing.   Few developments seem to be designed with their own 'additional stuff' - they rely upon surrounding areas for shops, even for schools or doctor's surgeries.   (And Poundbury, though it illustrates what could be done, is still really the Toytown of the Prince of Wales, isn't it?)

vonhelmet replied to kil0ran | 5 years ago
1 like

kil0ran wrote:

So one estate has good cycle provision? Does that mean they all do?

Pages

Latest Comments