Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike for the Mrs

In my past endeavours to get my other half on a bike I jumped the gun and bought a bike that is pretty big/heavy/combersome.

I am now looking to redeem myself as she is keen to get out more often but needs something that is light enough for her to store on a vertical hook in a bike shed.

Rather handily she is petite, so I have speculated at some of the larger kids bikes on offer currently and the type of riding she will be doing - road/path/pave/dirt or grass tracks.

Does anyone have experience of either the Genesis Delta 26 or Hoy Meadowmill?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

henryb | 5 years ago
0 likes

The Genesis Col du Glandon makes a very nice small ladies' bike. They don't make it any more but you may be able to find a used one somewhere.

NIrish | 5 years ago
0 likes

i was looking at some of the kids bikes as they are lighter. At the moment she has XS specialized Myka whihc is about 13kg. I think she struggles with the longer wheelbase even if it does have more stability.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to NIrish | 5 years ago
0 likes

NIrish wrote:

i was looking at some of the kids bikes as they are lighter. At the moment she has XS specialized Myka whihc is about 13kg. I think she struggles with the longer wheelbase even if it does have more stability.

Taking 4kg off that and not using suspension forks will change the ride massively, also the 64cm bars are far too wide and that actually loses control because of that extra width, she'll be having to put a lot of input for small changes, a 56cm bar width at most.

Chuck in some decent tyres and guaging the pressures properly makes ahuge difference to handling and surety. Obviously it's a personal thing but my mum is 5ft 1 and she rides an XS mens 700C wheeled hybrid in all sorts of conditions and before that she rode a Peugeot racing bike.

Get her to try a load of bikes in any case. 

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
3 likes

How petite?

Personally and first of all I'd say go down the flat bar route, this gives her more control of the bike and a less aggressive position, this will be far better for the type of riding you describe especially someone who is still a relative novice/trying to encourage, drops are really not what you want IMHO.

I'd also say don't go for the smaller wheels, over rougher terrain it'll be harder for her, there are some very petite pro MTB riders and they still ride 29ers.

If you're prepared to look at 2nd hand, bikes like the 07/08 Spesh Globe Pro ladies are one to look out for, best all round ladies bike ever produced IMHO, circa 9kg with 42mm wide tyres/triple and sturdy 700C wheels. I bought one for the missus and pimped it up with some EA70 bars, purple blingy bits and a cushy saddle. She rode a 40 miler straight off the bat with no prep aside from the odd ride up to the stables on her old jalopy.

Other alternates are Specialized Sirrus pro in a small  - depending on IL but the small is only 39.5c-c and 45.5cm c-t actual), again these are very light but give you a good range of gears and rack/mudguard mounts.

Specialized vita comp maybe https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ladies-Specialized-Vita-Comp-Bicycle-in-great...

The new Giant LIV bikes are very nice for the smaller lady and can be twiddled to get the weight down https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Ladies-bicycle/163237667137?_trkparms=a...

The Hoy is very limited in gears so would dismiss it instantly, an 8 speed 11-34 will leave massive gaps in the ratios, this is a real PITA as even the pros have found, being able to change up/down to a ratio that doesn't leave you spinning your legs too quickly or suddenly give you too high a gear is even more important for a novice as this can cause them to become unbalanced and potentially fall off. A gear press the wrong way that one time and they'll be on the deck because going uphill and having a big jump in the wrong direction will do that.

This is my ladies Globe Pro, you can fit up to a 55mm tyre without guards and 45mm with guards though 42mm is wide enough for most people in any case.

Luck finding something

kil0ran | 5 years ago
1 like

In my experience with kids bikes they're often heavier than an adult bike - the wheels are heavy and they tend to fit steel forks to cope with the abuse dealt out by kids being kids.

Of those two I'd say that the Meadowmill is more suitable - 16 speed rather than 7-speed. It does have a cyclocross chainset which means top end speed is a bit limited, depends on how much of a demon descender your missus is.

Latest Comments