Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Performance benefits of a new chainset?

Hi all, out of necessity needed to replace some components, recently replaced my Tiagra RD with Ultegra and have been delighted with the improvement. This weekend replaced my Tiagra callipers with Ultegra and even more impressed. Made me wonder on the benefit of upgrading the Tiagra chainring. Nothing wrong with existing chainset and FD, changes fine, but will I notice as appreciable a benefit as with the other components?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Stef Marazzi | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'd just wear out the Tiagra Chainset and then fit a 105 one. Almost as light as Ultegra. Tiagra is good and stiff, but a tad heavy.

matthewn5 | 5 years ago
0 likes

May as well sell the Tiagra chainset and put on an Ultegra chainset. You'll get some money for the Tiagra set to put towards the Ultegra. I remember doing the same thing back in the 9 speed days when I upgraded to 10 speed. You'll notice the reduction in weight!

vonhelmet replied to matthewn5 | 5 years ago
0 likes

matthewn5 wrote:

May as well sell the Tiagra chainset and put on an Ultegra chainset. You'll get some money for the Tiagra set to put towards the Ultegra. I remember doing the same thing back in the 9 speed days when I upgraded to 10 speed. You'll notice the reduction in weight!

910g for a 4700 chainset vs 674g for the 8000. Will he really notice it enough to warrant the exclamation mark? Never mind the financial outlay.

matthewn5 replied to vonhelmet | 5 years ago
0 likes

vonhelmet wrote:

matthewn5 wrote:

910g for a 4700 chainset vs 674g for the 8000. Will he really notice it enough to warrant the exclamation mark? Never mind the financial outlay.

It was certainly noticeable when I did it on my old Ridgeback. YMMV.

Grahamd | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the responses. I couldn’t see where I would see the difference, but had to ask just in case.

kil0ran | 5 years ago
2 likes

Well it's heavier than the Ultegra or even 105 chainring.

You might see a slight benefit in terms of shifting performance but if you want to improve that I'd upgrade the FD first - the new low profile 105/Ultegra/DA FDs are a noticeable improvement over their long arm predecessors.

There is of course the psychological improvement of fitting new parts. Most of my local Strava PBs were set on the first ride of a tatty old bike I upgraded to Di2 a few years back. I've got faster/lighter bikes now but still don't get near those times  1

People "on the internet" say that the weak points of Tiagra 4700 are the chainrings and brakes but a chainring is a chainring and a 100-ish gram saving isn't going to be noticeable in the real world, unless you're racing or have enough power to flex it.

fenix | 5 years ago
8 likes

No.

Latest Comments