Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canyon bikes - yes or no?

I’m looking at buying a new bike, been cycling for 2.5 years, started off with a basic Fuji, after a year upgraded to a Scott Speedster 10. While I like the bike it has just been dogged with little niggles. Almost full drive chain has been replaced, really annoying noise from left crank that despite being serviced 4 times now still hasn’t been eradicated. 

But in a place in my cycling that I’d like to upgrade now anyway, to a bike I’d like to use for a few years hopefully, happy to spend around £2k, get decent spec etc. 

I have my eye on a Canyon Ultimate CF SL. Anyone give any advice regarding canyon bikes, or even anything otherwise? 

I generally cycle about 75-100 miles a week, over  2-3 rides, and occasionally try a sportive or a big route 70+ every couple months. Also like to climb minimum 2000ft each ride, 3000+ on a good day. 

Any help appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

martybsays | 5 years ago
0 likes

I looked long and thought hard before buying an Endurace CF SL frameset which I had built up with Chris King R45 disc hubsand a mix of Force chainset and Red Hydro with Light Bicycle 28mm/21mm 46 carbon  rims. My LBS sold me the hubs, groupset and set, built up the wheels and the bike. Win/win for everyone. It's a brilliant ride and I'm a Canyon convert.   

wycombewheeler | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have an aeroad, very happy with it.

arrived when they said it would, as did the previous one which I sent back as the red just looked a bit cheap.

value against other bikes is incredible, I think I could have bought a comparable aero bike for the same money, but it would have come with junk wheels which I'd have needed to replace, at between 600 and 1000 pounds. As well as the waste of resources providing wheels which no one wants.

EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
0 likes

Regarding the sales. Yes you've just missed one and I can't imagine they'll do another anytime soon - towards Xmas maybe? The last sale wasn't amazing. Worth it yes - if I'd waited 2 months I could saved £250 on a 2.5k ultimate...but I'm glad I got 2 months riding tbh  3

Possibly the bigger discounts come at Xmas? Not sure

joeegg | 5 years ago
0 likes

Very happy with my Endurace. Arrived on time but it was an in stock item. It is a bit uneasy spending quite a bit of money on something you've only seen on a screen and read a few  reviews from journalists and owners. Obviously the plus point is that you get a higher specced bike for the money but as one poster pointed out it could probably be matched by bikes offered in a sale. One thing that swayed me to Canyon was the wheelset quality. There's plenty of new £2k bikes about  fitted with £100 wheelsets. My Canyon arrived with a £600 pair of wheels. On virtually every cyclists mind at some time is a wheel upgrade and its the most expensive thing to do.

So far my experience with Canyon has been totally positive but just enjoy riding whatever you buy.

Canyon48 replied to joeegg | 5 years ago
0 likes

joeegg wrote:

Very happy with my Endurace. Arrived on time but it was an in stock item. It is a bit uneasy spending quite a bit of money on something you've only seen on a screen and read a few  reviews from journalists and owners. Obviously the plus point is that you get a higher specced bike for the money but as one poster pointed out it could probably be matched by bikes offered in a sale. One thing that swayed me to Canyon was the wheelset quality. There's plenty of new £2k bikes about  fitted with £100 wheelsets. My Canyon arrived with a £600 pair of wheels. On virtually every cyclists mind at some time is a wheel upgrade and its the most expensive thing to do.

So far my experience with Canyon has been totally positive but just enjoy riding whatever you buy.

+1 for this, so many bikes come with really quite rubbish wheels.

Canyon bikes are the full package.

I highly, highly recommend anyone who wants to buy a Canyon to wait until Canyon put on a sale. It's odd, they (seemingly randomly) discount bikes and components by often massive amounts.

My Canyon Ultimate was reduced by over £800 and the different bars I bought were reduced by well over £100!

Wavell replied to Canyon48 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Canyon48]</p>

<p>[quote=joeegg wrote:

My Canyon Ultimate was reduced by over £800 and the different bars I bought were reduced by well over £100!

yes I’d hold out for sale if I were you too you’ve just missed one as have I  2 assuming they’ll be more soon though with 2019 bikes coming hopefully more off as well 

Chris Hayes | 5 years ago
0 likes

For a few reasons I'd urge you to buy something from your local bike shop, if you can.  There are some pretty good sales on at the moment, so this may help.  Reason number one is rather obvious: youi'll establish a relationship with them and they'll be there if anything goes wrong with the bike.  The second is that you can ride it.  They may even lend you a bike for a few weeks.  Giant certainly does this and they make great mid-to-high-end bikes.  Third: build quality.  I had my bike repaired recently by a well-known carbon repair shop. It's a C50 Colnago and they remarked that they don't see many (I cracked the rear stay jumping from a high causeway - idiot, I know), so I asked him which bikes he 'sees' most:  overwhelmingly Canyon was the response.  Of course, if you buying aluminium the quality of some of their carbon frames doens't matter...

srchar replied to Chris Hayes | 5 years ago
0 likes

Chris Hayes wrote:

I had my bike repaired recently by a well-known carbon repair shop. It's a C50 Colnago and they remarked that they don't see many (I cracked the rear stay jumping from a high causeway - idiot, I know), so I asked him which bikes he 'sees' most:  overwhelmingly Canyon was the response.

That doesn't necessarily mean that Canyon frames are more fragile than those made by other companies.  It could be that:

- Canyon have a bigger market share than others.  Certainly up until their price increases and operational issues a couple of years ago, everyone seemed to be on them.

- Canyon owners are more likely to crash than e.g. Colnago owners (maybe Canyons are more likely to be raced or used in wet weather, with more Colnagos hung on walls or only ridden in the dry?)

- Canyon owners are more likely to turn to a repairer when their frame breaks, rather than binning it.

Of course, it could be that the frames are made of chocolate, but I think the two-wheeled bit of the internet would have gone mental about it by now if it were an issue.

Chris Hayes replied to srchar | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'd question their market share, but the most important thing is that you're happy with your purchase and use it as often as possible.  

srchar | 5 years ago
0 likes

I rode an Ultimate AL with di2 for a while. Service was OK. They fitted the wrong stem length and bar width and would only rectify this by replacing the whole bike, which entailed some unnecessary ballache.

As for sizing, I'm 6'2, currently ride a 58 Cervelo and a 60 Kinesis. My Canyon was a XL and fitted fine.  Nice enough bike, very competent, but I don't miss it.

Their operational issues might work in your favour.  A mate of mine ordered £4k of Aeroad and received two identical bikes.  Canyon were adamant they'd only sent him one, and being the paranoid type, he called and emailed them several times.  He ended up keeping both.

Lydia-Hines | 5 years ago
1 like

Canyon Ultimate CF SL. I'd be a bit wary of the wheels on that model. Myself, and three friends, one a non Canyon bike, have all had issues with the rear hubs.

Ok if you keep them from getting wet.

mike the bike | 5 years ago
1 like

I can only echo the favourable comments above.  My Endurace was delivered on time, expertly packed and complete right down to dedicated torque wrenches for the limited assembly that's needed.

The bike is brilliant value and well presented, with loads of thoughtful touches that other firms don't seem to offer, at least not at Canyon's prices.  The only thing I've changed is the  saddle, which I sold for £20, and this almost paid for its replacement, a trusty Charge Spoon.

Follow the detailed online measurement guide and trust their recommendation, mine was spot on.

Best of luck.

kungdog | 5 years ago
0 likes

I bought an Aeroad earlier in the year, took about a week to arrive from ordering. I'm just under 6ft tall and a medium seems spot on.

Pushing50 | 5 years ago
1 like

daveed80 - Go to their Perfect Positioning Tool on the website:

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/tools/pps/

Choose the bike you want to purchase and add your size details including limb lengths, shoulder width etc. I am 177cm tall and the small fits perfectly. I bet a pound to a penny that you will be calculated to fit the small too.

daveed80 replied to Pushing50 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Pushing50 wrote:

Choose the bike you want to purchase and add your size details including limb lengths, shoulder width etc. I am 177cm tall and the small fits perfectly. I bet a pound to a penny that you will be calculated to fit the small too.

thanks for this I will have a look!

Beecho replied to daveed80 | 5 years ago
0 likes

daveed80 wrote:

Pushing50 wrote:

thanks for this I will have a look!

FYI, I'm a wee 5ft 5" used to clicking 'small', but Canyon calculated 2XS for me. I trusted them with some reservations. They were on the money.

daveed80 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thank you all so far.

how do we find sizing? Big, small etc?

been a medium frame on both bikes I’ve had so far. I’m 5’8 

Canyon48 replied to daveed80 | 5 years ago
0 likes

daveed80 wrote:

Thank you all so far.

how do we find sizing? Big, small etc?

been a medium frame on both bikes I’ve had so far. I’m 5’8 

Use Canyons size guide, I guess you'd need a small frame.

I'm about 5"11 and I have a medium.

Pushing50 | 5 years ago
1 like

Loved my Canyon Ultimate CF SL as soon as I went for my maiden ride. Still loving the ride and if I ever thought about purchasing another bike then Canyon would be the first place I would look. I may get the Endurace once I am Pushing60! The sizing was right for me but this maybe was chance as you do not get to test ride the bike (unless you have a friend with one). 

As it is online direct sales you do get a lot of bang for your buck but I was left feeling a little guilty that I didn't purchase from my LBS (until that maiden ride).

You will not be left disappointed with your purchase and for £2k you can get Full Ultrega groupset/Fizik Antares saddle/DT Swiss 1600 wheels and still have change for some accessories.

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
1 like

I've found Canyon great, I love my Ultimate and the customer service has been brilliant everytime I've needed it.

The value for money is unbelievable and I found the overall finish to be much better than a lot of bikes I tried (e.g. well though out hidden seatpost clamps, nice integration of headset and stem/bars, nicely placed metal chainstay protector).

Ribble and Rose are both good options too!

Beecho | 5 years ago
1 like

I love my Inflite and service was great.

I understand that's not everyone's experience.

Perhaps have a look at Ribble as well, even if just to muck around on their bike builder, which is fun.

Latest Comments