Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sexy M*dguards

ok, so I may be the only one who wants so proper sexy mudguards to go on my winter/audax bike, but I'm a kit freak and take great care choosing the right kit for each steed.. so I want some god damned sexy mudguards that a) do a proper job of guarding from road muck, and b) look good enough to add to the it-has-an-air-of-purpose about a proper fast but weatherproof winter/audax bike thing...

I've gotten through 3 pairs of guards in the last 2 years... all of them breaking in half (must be the riding fast over potholes thing I tend to do)

I also make my own extra-long mud flaps to make sure I and others don't get caked in the stuff.

but so far have been underwhelmed by the lack of choice.

My last set were silver SKS chromoplastic things, squared in profile, looked horrid but did a reasonable job.

I'm thinking of getting the SKS Bluemels rounder profile ones, but not sure if they are the same quality/better/worse?  26

so what proper guards do you guys'n'gals use on proper winter bikes (no clip on raceblades please  31 )

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

A few months earlier Packer asked a very similar question

We offered him lots of good advice… but in the end he found his own answer courtesy of Monsieur Berthoud

As you've probably guessed, he's French so sexy comes naturally – even when it comes to mudguards

MisterT replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

thanks Tony - yes I saw those interesting threads, but they seemed more interested in blingguards than mudguards... round here (and I guess most places) the level of cow poo and general road detritus is too high for bling guards such as those. i.e. the flat contruction those lovely wooden things have will simply make the detritus fling out sideways, covering teammates, myself and any panniers.. so no use for winter.

FYI - I have an old pair of salmon guards that do that thing of flinging it all out sideways.

What I'm wanting are real guards that do a proper job as well as looking good  7

Tony Farrelly replied to MisterT | 15 years ago
0 likes

Just had a look on the Chickens website and the SKS Chromoplastic  "the Rolls Royce of mudgards" apparently are about a five more expensive than the SKS Bluemels - which to my simple brain equates to a fiver better, although back in the mists of time I seem to remember the Bluemels doing rather well in C+ tests..

As to M. Berthoud's guards, as you might have guessed I'm no mudguard expert, but I wouldn't hold being shiny against the stainless steel ones - they look pretty robust to me - especially the ones with the complete fixing set, they also seem to have that more rounded profile you are looking for.  

If you're not completely sold on either of the SKS options it might be worth emailing the poster who bought them to see how he got on (go to the thread and just click on his name and you'll get the option to email him).

Latest Comments